HMS Belfast on Channel 5

Ballistic

War Hero
Totally agree @Seaweed and @Knotty .
It was almost like it was aimed at schoolkids with a shorter than average attention span.

I went on Wikipedia afterwards and learned more in 30 seconds than I did throughout the whole programme.

Just caught up on 'Watch Again'.

www.my5.tv/great-british-ships/season-1/episode-6-hms-belfast

What a dreadful start. Apart from referring to "the HMS Belfast", the presenter passed off a moored contact mine as the magnetic mine type that took the ship out of the war for three years instead of showing the identical German 'GA' magnetic ground mine exhibited on board. The presenter compounded his error by saying that moored mines float on the surface, which they don't unless they have broken free of their moorings.

Ouvry Mine displayed on board HMS Belfast med lge.jpg
Ouvry's mine exhibited on board HMS Belfast
(The protrusions are not horns but were meant to prevent the mine rolling around on the seabed.)

The magnetic mine displayed on board HMS Belfast was rendered safe by Cdr John Ouvry DSO RN on the mudflats at Shoeburyness on 23 Nov 1939, two days after Belfast had succumbed to one herself. Ouvry's feat enabled the boffins at HMS Vernon to develop ship self-protective measures (e.g. degaussing) and effective minesweeping systems. As a result, he was decorated with the DSO by King George VI at a ceremony on HMS Vernon’s parade ground on 19 December 1939. Others decorated at the same time for this, and other tasks where mines were rendered safe for recovery and examination, were Lt Cdr Roger Lewis (DSO), Lt J E M Glenny (DSC), CPO C E Baldwin (DSM) and AB A L Vearncombe (DSM). Of particular note, these were the first Royal Naval decorations of the war.

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
There was a dit about this to the effect that the King pinned the wrong medals on the wrong people (sorted out quietly afterwards of course).

There was a dit about this to the effect that the King pinned the wrong medals on the wrong people (sorted out quietly afterwards of course).
Glad to hear it.

King George VI presenting decorations at HMS Vernon.jpg
King George VI presenting first RN decorations of the Second World War
at HMS Vernon 19 Dec 1939

I have Belfast's ships badge in brass, made (allegedly)from shells fired by Her on D day. I'll try upload a photo next time I'm home.

Latest Threads