HMS Arrow - Anyone Know Where the Ship's Bell Is?

Bad CO

Admin
We've just had the following in by email, anyone able to help?

Desperately trying to get hold of a photo of Arrow's ship's bell as my son has his name engraved on it. Can anyone help?

soleil

War Hero
I think that items from decommissioned ships used to go into a store at HMS Nelson.

Sometimes bells go elsewhere to specially chosen places; I think that HMS Illustrious' bell, for instance, is now at the Oval cricket ground.

soleil

War Hero
I believe it's gone to Sunderland the Arrow's adopted City.
It's mentioned half way down this link

Good spot, Salty-Dog.

According to this article from the Sunderland Echo, it is in the Civic Hall in Sunderland.

I've no links with that ship or Sunderland so it's only a suggestion - Perhaps @soliel & @Bad CO have the pull to get this ball rolling now the ball bell has been located:

Huge potential for a Phot opportunity (eg the Inquirer + the baptised son + Civic leaders et al ) and a 'Good News' story for all concerned - Sunderland Echo/Navy News/Local RNA/HMS ARROW 's old shipmates/@Bad CO & Navy-Net etc etc.

Methinks the RAF would be all over something like this - Isn't our @Ninja_Stoker involved with RN Media publicity?

Does @Wightsparker still have PR contacts?

Wightsparker

War Hero
I've no links with that ship or Sunderland so it's only a suggestion - Perhaps @soliel & @Bad CO have the pull to get this ball rolling now the ball bell has been located:

Huge potential for a Phot opportunity (eg the Inquirer + the baptised son + Civic leaders et al ) and a 'Good News' story for all concerned - Sunderland Echo/Navy News/Local RNA/HMS ARROW 's old shipmates/@Bad CO & Navy-Net etc etc.

Methinks the RAF would be all over something like this - Isn't our @Ninja_Stoker involved with RN Media publicity?

Does [B]@Wightsparker still have PR contacts?[/B]
I can have a go, but caution that the original inquirer may be disappointed. There have been similar requests to the RN over the years but names engraved on bells are now often illegible, even if the bell is located.
Another point to be aware of is that a ship could have more than one bell.
As @soleil mentioned at post #2, bells are ( or used to be) kept in a store in HMS Nelson and are (or were) occasionally auctioned.
If @Bad CO could provide me the name of the original inquirer - and the name engraved on the bell - I can provide the information to enable a potential PR effort. (But again, care is needed as the original request may be connected with a sad rather than a positive story)

Taztiff

War Hero
I'm ex-Arrow and on the Arrow Facebook page.
The group have reunions in Sunderland RNA every other year (not managed to go yet, always coincides with family stuff :mad:).
One of the members lives in Sunderland.

I will pop a message on the site to ask if there is any other info.

Taz

RabC

MIA
I'm ex-Arrow and on the Arrow Facebook page.
The group have reunions in Sunderland RNA every other year (not managed to go yet, always coincides with family stuff :mad:).
One of the members lives in Sunderland.

I will pop a message on the site to ask if there is any other info.

Taz
Was on there in 86.

Taztiff

War Hero
I didnt get any worthwhile reaction back from the Facebook site. Everybody seems to think the RNA but I'm sure that's wrong. Might be worth asking there though.