Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HMS Ark Royal

brianhrfc

Midshipman
Tuesday 22nd February 2011, on discovery channel. Auriga 10 onboard HMS Ark Royal. Her last ever deployment.

seafarer1939

War Hero
watched it last night and still wonder why,if Harriers are good enough for the USMC[an attack force primarily] why we gave them up?
Watching the pilot try to hit the towed drogue brought back memories of the Scimitars and Sea Venoms on the Vic trying the same thing.
I'd like to say they more accurate but I can't remember but I do recall they were very good with the Aden cannon.
Guess it's harder than it looks.
No moans from the Yanks this time re taking off from the Ski Ramp,after the Lusty programme I'd be surprised if they didn't incorporate them on the USMC carriers
A bit of smug satisfaction from the crew!Good to watch.

seafarer1939

War Hero
Err! I think I meant Sea Vixens,aircraft recognition is not my strong point.
Wings and engines is as far as I know.
Good job I missed the Falklands as some Harriers may have been in trouble!

Just sat through the entire Sailor series from 1976, showing the last great British Aircraft Carrier R09. Brought back some magical memories of a great ship and a fantastic last commision tour. Also good to hear that some of the Ark old boys are still with us and managing to get to reunions.

trelawney126

War Hero
Certainly are.....Had dinner with the Steam Cat Launch officer on Saturday, he was ready to launch when we ran over the Kotlin, in the Med. I was on the bridge.......small world. Sadly neither of us get to reunions.

metocman

Lantern Swinger
Recorded the series on Virgin+, been busy with OU so only just watching it now!

Great series and good to see the METOC section on the ball in every episode so far!!

Tomahawk

Lantern Swinger
I don't suppose anyone has a way to watch this online? As I was in Australia when it was on and we were in the process of switching Set Top Boxes so couldn't record it either! D'Oh! Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Flammin Gallah

Lantern Swinger
Just sat through the entire Sailor series from 1976, showing the last great British Aircraft Carrier R09. Brought back some magical memories of a great ship and a fantastic last commision tour. Also good to hear that some of the Ark old boys are still with us and managing to get to reunions.

A very good friend of mine's Dad was an AEO on one of the squadrons while the filming was going on, sadly no longer with us Lt Stuart Fraser....anyone remember him?
:)

Rumrat

War Hero

1976........How do you mean old boys still with us?
I was 26 in 1976, so 61 now. Fuckin hell whats the life expectancy down your way?..and can you let me know where that is so I can avoid it like the bleedin plague.:-|

backed-bean

Midshipman
I spent 77 till the end on the Ark as a killick phot. Loved it. Drafted to culdrose and snapped the new one as it sailed through the channel for delivery.
I rather hoped the new carrier would have been named Ark Royal.

TheCommunicator

Lantern Swinger
Does anyone have a valid reason as to why the ATCO wears a flying overall when she works in some sort of flyco-bridge type place??

finknottle

Banned
If and when the new carriers are commissioned there will be no one left with the expertise to operate them, the crabs did the Andrew up like a kipper by offering up the harrier. The First Sea Lord might as well hand the keys back now and close the door on his way out.

Flammin Gallah

Lantern Swinger
If and when the new carriers are commissioned there will be no one left with the expertise to operate them, the crabs did the Andrew up like a kipper by offering up the harrier. The First Sea Lord might as well hand the keys back now and close the door on his way out.

And switch the lights out....lets think green.
:)

trelawney126

War Hero

Finks, I reckon your wrong,all the training for the aircrew, flyco, cats, and flight deckcrew will be incorporated into the Nintendo DS 3D console. Kinnect was a front runner but failed miserably on trials, too much arm waving at the controller, aircraft on approaches thought they were being waved off. Believe Waspie and JFH doing initial trials. MLP doing the on site training at Culdrose.:crying:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O HMS Ark Royal Association Social & Reunions 0
O HMS Ark Royal 1975 The Fleet Air Arm 0
N Help - tom wilkinson - hms ark royal Current Affairs 12
scouse HMS Ark Royal at Turkey History 13
soleil Pompey News: "HMS Ark Royal To Leave Portsmouth For Scrapyard" The Fleet 43
stan_the_man HMS ARK ROYAL Op Telic 2003 Diamond Lil's 2
3 TV prog. HMS Ark Royal. Bagde question. The Quarterdeck 3
soleil Guardian: "HMS Ark Royal Could Be Turned Into Artificial Diving Reef" The Fleet 24
soleil Independent: "HMS Ark Royal Sale Deadline Extended" The Fleet 3
soleil BBC1: The One Show - 19:00 - 7th June 2011 - HMS Ark Royal The Fleet 2
soleil BBC: "HMS Ark Royal Sale Viewings To Begin In Portsmouth" The Fleet 0
Salty_Rupert HMS Prince of Wales to be HMS Ark Royal (VI) Current Affairs 2
D LOOKING FOR STD BRIAN O'NEILL ex HMS ARK ROYAL 1992-95 Nearest & Dearest 3
soleil BBC: "In Pictures: HMS Ark Royal Through The Years" The Fleet 0
soleil HMS Ark Royal Decommissioning Ceremony, Portsmouth, Friday, 11th March 2011 The Fleet 1
trelawney126 HMS ARK ROYAL Discovery TV Channel Current Affairs 7
R HMS Ark Royal on Discovery Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 6
Kev73 HMS Ark Royal on Discovery Channel The Fleet 1
MoD_RSS Portsmouth says goodbye to HMS Ark Royal Current Affairs 0
Hermes_R12 HMS Ark Royal paying off today.... Current Affairs 2
P Portsmouth News wants to hear your HMS Ark Royal stories Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 6
Y Life on board HMS Ark Royal Current Affairs 1
soleil HMS Ark Royal - Harrier Fly Past - December 3rd 2010 Pompey The Fleet 1
soleil "HMS Ark Royal Makes Final Visit To Tyneside This Weekend" The Fleet 3
tommo BBC News: Queen bids farewell to HMS Ark Royal The Fleet 6
soleil Tweets From HMS Ark Royal On Twitter The Fleet 5
soleil HMS Ark Royal's Personnel To Be Drafted to HMS Illustrious Current Affairs 5
soleil HMS Ark Royal to be scrapped Current Affairs 68
soleil RN Website: "Army All At Sea On HMS Ark Royal" The Fleet Air Arm 2
scouse 1963 HMS ARK ROYAL The Fleet Air Arm 2
stan_the_man HMS ARK ROYAL REDEDICATION 2001 ORDER OF SERVICE The Quarterdeck 1
soleil Wavy TV: "HMS Ark Royal arrives in US for Exercise Auriga" The Fleet 4
soleil Mirror: "HMS Ark Royal: All You Need To Know" The Fleet 0
scouse HMS Ark Royal by K Poolman The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil BBC: "Royal Navy's HMS Ark Royal to lead global exercises" The Fleet 1
soleil "HMS Ark Royal visits Northumbria Quay in North Shields" The Fleet 5
scouse 824 SQDN Sea Kings 71 HMS Ark Royal The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Pompey News: "Lessons start on HMS Ark Royal" The Fleet 0
soleil Chronicle: HMS Ark Royal to visit Tyneside 24/02-28/02/10 The Fleet 2
flynavy Sods Opera on HMS ARK ROYAL Diamond Lil's 6
soleil HMS Ark Royal takes to the seas again this Friday 25/09/09 The Fleet 23
Asst_Ed HMS Ark Royal IV cutaway poster History 3
scouse HMS Ark Royal visits the Pool Current Affairs 54
stan_the_man HMS ARK ROYAL 2003 The Corps 1
stan_the_man HMS ARK ROYAL Op Telic 2003 The Fleet Air Arm 3
SILVER_FOX Imposing HMS Ark Royal moors on the Thames Current Affairs 37
D HMS Ark Royal The Fleet 7
CheefTiff The Rock Concert 1986 HMS Ark Royal Social & Reunions 22
B Pre HMS Raleigh brief Joining the Royal Navy 5
MoD_RSS From Portsmouth to Odesa, UK and Ukraine naval cooperation on show as Ukrainian President visits HMS Prince of Wales MoD News 0