HMS Ark Royal visits the Pool

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by scouse, Jun 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Ark arrives at Liverpool 1300 hrs today on a 4 day goodwill visit the first time ever. She will berth at the new Liverpool Cruise Terminal(PIER HEAD) open to Joe public 1000/1600hrs Saturday. Have a good run ashore oppos. ps.no fancy dress !! :thumright:

2. I remember a day trip in the erly '70s, as a boy, to go on the old Ark Royal when she was in Liverpool. It helped to convince me to join.

3. Good job she doesn't have wheels. :thumright:

4. Ant_H. Good point; and she's already been shafted. Probably showing my age but will the natives want to know if Slops are held in the gear boxes?

5. My boy Scott (AET Caplan) has just joined the Ark from RNAS Yeovilton for a short draft. Lucky boy!!

6. Bet they nick the gangway.

7. Best get everything loose secured and guarded :thumright:

8. I am thinking of going to see it when i go town tomorow. is it worth it or will most sections be out of bounds to the public.

9. You'll be lucky if theres anything of it left. (Incoming!!!!)

10. true but robbers are all over the place, just us scousers are so good were famous for it

11. If there is a Ship Open to Visitors then you'll get a chance to view the roof and the hanger, but other than it'll probably be out of bounds. If the AFCO is still open now it might be worth a call to see if there might be an opportunity for something more, given that you've got an entry date.

12. thanks mate :thumright:

13. right oppos heres the sitrep RO7 is nicely painted and berthed starboard side too. at the Liner jetty. She looks quiet impressive on the Liverpool waterfont next to the Cunard and Liver buildings she has 4 merlins ranged and 1 SAR Sea King 19 Ace of Clubs. I was a bit dissapointed with procedure Alpha. No guard and band and the flight deck wasnt manned, by any one in NO1s just a few odds and sods in NO 8s. Also the Port side hasnt been painted ,loads of rust down the weather decks!! the buffer didnt fool me! You could see it all as she entered the Mersey before being turned round mid channel. The ex matelots on the Birkenhead side wont be impressed. Probably Guns and Potential Officer would just give them a half b*****g for that :salut: :thumright:

14. In all fairness, keeping a ship tiddly must be a bloody nightmare these days. Determining :

what NSN paint can be applied over that the last Contractor slapped on

whether paint applicaton by the ship's company will invalidate the Warranty from the last Upkeep or FTM period

whether there are enough dabbers with the right kit to not send the HSAW Gestapo apoplectic.

15. With you on that one mate; I thought they might have had a few on the upper deck just for show, alas not. Never mind. Still looks mighty impressive though.

Hope a good run ashore is enjoyed by 1 and all (as long as they don't take the p1ss too much out of us part-timers marching tomorrow)

16. There will be about a three hour Q with scousers trying to sell you rides on the big helicopter on the big boat. All gen stuff arr kid!! Or stupid Ark Royal visits Liverpool t shirts made in China!!!

And forget about trashing the place lads it was trashed years ago and never repaired. They call it culture!!!

Who knows "OUR CILLA" may drop in to sell the old uns life insurance. [ 'We all know what it's like to lose someone"sympathy vote please"] Heaven forbid!!

17. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

...then it wasn't Proc. Alpha then; Bravo perhaps..?! :roll:

18. just a sad note to tell about my visit to the ARK ROYAL .I was talking to an elderly lady at the Jetty yesterdy. She told me that her father was a lagger at Cammel Lairds in 1950 who was involved in the build of the previous ARK ROYAL. He died at a very young age with many more of his workmates from Mesothelma. She was adamant that the management at Lairds knew the dangers of handling asbestoses then!!

19. Hm! last 2 ARK ROYAL s built at Cammel Lairds first visit of this ARK ROYAL for 23 yrs so Prc Alpha wouldnt have been the thought of the day !! :salut: