HMS Ark Royal at Turkey

Discussion in 'History' started by scouse, Jun 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

2. This place in Turkey is becoming familiar, what with the recent final visits by a few ex RN ships. Makes you wonder where the actual spirits of these ships go, sailing some ghostly waves, in the case of the carriers, the noises of the aircraft and crews as they were at flying stations, posing that age old question---whats it all about ? Nostalgia ? yes maybe, but a part of a lot of lives, those who enjoyed their time in the Navy as well as some who may have not. Overall many happy days, now consigned to the past.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I see RR gets a mention in that Telegraph article, don't remember the thread though.

4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Try the search button :glasses6:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Search button? wassat?

6. Seadog

The old thread on boys kissing each other is here. Not the worst thing that Jolly Jack, Royal and Jenny have done ashore but as I get older, the more I forget my younger days ( construction machinery was involved - nobody hurt) and the more I think sprogs + beer + foreign = 'cnuts' .

Apart from that prejudice I'm quite right-on and hang with the kids.

Mod note, please don't revisit and regenerate the Illustrious visit conversation by posting here. Use the old thread if there is going to be any 'holy thread resurrection Batman' for which I will shoulder some blame.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  7. Most of those posters in that thread banging on about ye goode olde days are dead now. Good.

8. I taught the geezer in the wig during my time in the harrier school, seemed like a good lad.

9. Seadog

Some may have moved to another naval themed website where ( legend has it ) a short timer with no seatime holds court over a load of PSOFs who served in a much better navy where girls were yuch and mess decks smelled of blokes' dung hampers, deployments lasted a whole career, grudges longer. And a civvy poof with a hairy stoker fetish ( as a quick read of the old thread reminded me).

There is some good stuff in that thread from Levers. He has a way of generating and distributing perspective and mocking the Zulu Warriors of old.

10. But what about the bloke in the bottom picture in uniform on the beach by the Round Tower with his hands in his pockets!

11. must be a Royal or a Pongo!!! :neutral:

12. I notice the ships flight had disembarked prior to pulling into port. Nothing new there then.

13. Ships Flight, It was a full CAG!!!

• Like Like x 1