Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HMS Argyll

tom4741

Newbie
is anybody serving on the argyll here?

im just finishing my time in collingwood, going to join my first ship

as far as i no its spending its time in refit then in faslane till xmas

but after that.... some ppl say its got a med/south atlantic deployment but others say a 9 month refit!!!!

lol the thoughts enough to papa victor romeo! lol
 
A

angrydoc

Guest
I was in ARGYLL for a Gulf deployment a few years ago - fantastic Ship, happy, no probs at all. There have been a lot of changes since then, but I'm sure the spirit is still there. Enjoy! (I wish I could go back!)
 

tommo

War Hero
I spent a short time on there. I'm not a fan of 23's mysefl I was 42 man. As for refits the ships do have them I'm afraid. Usually get a get deployment at the end of it. I doubt it will go from Refit into another refit doesn't make sense.

As for PVR'ing if it's in refit is a bit silly tbh
 

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Tom4741: Welcome to Rum Ration and good luck on joining your first ship!

However can I suggest that you contact your future DO, Department Co-ordinator or EWO on board the Argyll to find out more. And I would also suggest that Ship's programmes are not discussed in the public forum.

:thumright:
 

tom4741

Newbie
lol its a running joke with the ppl here

i started my course 10 week ago with 14 ppl

were down to 6 now lol though failing exams and pvr's their droppin like flies

and 2 of the lads are handing their notices in on friday! so a small group are going to pass out

AND the group behind us 11 sat the first exam, 10 failed! are their any warfare specs out there!!!!!!!
 
Am I missing something? How can these non-handlers put their notice in already? Has something changed? If what he has written is true, something is inherently wrong with the training at MWS. I hope all these lads and lasses failing and banging out is gash dits.
 

tommo

War Hero
PVR is not uncommon. You could PVR in basic training when I joined up in 96 under 17's could leave as unhappy juniors up to about year after joining.
 

brigham600

War Hero
Montigny_La_Palisse said:
Am I missing something? How can these non-handlers put their notice in already? Has something changed? If what he has written is true, something is inherently wrong with the training at MWS.

Yes, its too soft on them and they can normally fail at least three exams before even being considered SNLR.

As for Tom4741, I really cannot believe you would wish to submit your PVR just because you have not been given the draft you wanted or desired. It just shows how fickle and weak you are and probably best you do go mate if that is how you feel.

I work at MWS Collingwood and am amazed at how bad some of the trainees are and by that I mean their attitude towards anything they do not agree with. Last time I looked at standing orders of any description the Navy was still a disciplined service and not Highbury College.
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
tom4741 said:
is anybody serving on the argyll here?

Amazing co-incidence, but firstly:

sgtpepperband said:
...
However can I suggest that you contact your future DO, Department Co-ordinator or EWO on board the Argyll to find out more. And I would also suggest that Ship's programmes are not discussed in the public forum.

Spot on- OPSEC guys, "Not a dirty word Blackadder"

That said, I'm on the Argyll tomorrow with hordes of visiting School children! (Bet the ship's company can't wait!)
 
brigham600 said:
Montigny_La_Palisse said:
Am I missing something? How can these non-handlers put their notice in already? Has something changed? If what he has written is true, something is inherently wrong with the training at MWS.

Yes, its too soft on them and they can normally fail at least three exams before even being considered SNLR.

As for Tom4741, I really cannot believe you would wish to submit your PVR just because you have not been given the draft you wanted or desired. It just shows how fickle and weak you are and probably best you do go mate if that is how you feel.

I work at MWS Collingwood and am amazed at how bad some of the trainees are and by that I mean their attitude towards anything they do not agree with. Last time I looked at standing orders of any description the Navy was still a disciplined service and not Highbury College.

Agreed, if you want to PVR just because the programme isn't what you want it to be then best for all of us if you do one, do you think I would like to spend two Xmas's in Afghan? Or 3 med trips in a row? Not really but IT'S THE JOB I SIGNED UP FOR. I find it hard to believe that this is a common thing though, surely the majority of trainees don't feel this way and aren't so ready to bang out, if they do then what's going on? Am I alone in finding this more than a litle disturbing if it is true?
 

danny

War Hero
tom4741 said:
are their any warfare specs out there!!!!!!!

Unfortunatly.

If your thinking of PVR now i think you should do it. I mean just wait until you have to start watch keeping and even worse painting.
 
A

angrydoc

Guest
This seems to be a fad of modern society - "if everything isn't rosy and absolutely perfect then bin it and move on".

What happened to giving it a go? Go to sea and try it out - don't give up on an idea so bloody easily. Everyone's job has shit aspects - there are plenty of days I'm at work thinking "Christ, here we go again", but I don't resign over it!

What you have to realise is that no job is perfect. The RN (all branches) offers a good job with good prospects: I'm not saying you should stay for the rest of your life, but don't give up the second you pass out at RALEIGH.
 

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Ninja_Stoker said:
...That said, I'm on the Argyll tomorrow with hordes of visiting School children! (Bet the ship's company can't wait!)

NS: So how was your Ship's visit with the whores for schoolchildren?

:wink:
 

SILVER_FOX

War Hero
angrydoc said:
This seems to be a fad of modern society - "if everything isn't rosy and absolutely perfect then bin it and move on".

What happened to giving it a go? Go to sea and try it out - don't give up on an idea so bloody easily. Everyone's job has shit aspects - there are plenty of days I'm at work thinking "Christ, here we go again", but I don't resign over it!

What you have to realise is that no job is perfect. The RN (all branches) offers a good job with good prospects: I'm not saying you should stay for the rest of your life, but don't give up the second you pass out at RALEIGH.

Mate - it's standard fit for the mobile phone / dot.com generation. Everything today on tick, no waiting and not willing to work hard to get there. The result is that very little has meaning because there was very little effort required in obtaining it. This is not all YOUFF but enough to taint many perceptions. Very sad stuff!!

SF
 

scouse

War Hero
Ninja_Stoker said:
tom4741 said:
is anybody serving on the argyll here?

Amazing co-incidence, but firstly:

sgtpepperband said:
...
However can I suggest that you contact your future DO, Department Co-ordinator or EWO on board the Argyll to find out more. And I would also suggest that Ship's programmes are not discussed in the public forum. :thanks: :thumright: ?????

Spot on- OPSEC guys, "Not a dirty word Blackadder"

That said, I'm on the Argyll tomorrow with hordes of visiting School children! (Bet the ship's company can't wait!)
 

scouse

War Hero
tom4741 said:
is anybody serving on the argyll here?

im just finishing my time in collingwood, going to join my first ship

as far as i no its spending its time in refit then in faslane till xmas

but after that.... some ppl say its got a med/south atlantic deployment but others say a 9 month refit!!!!

lol the thoughts enough to papa victor romeo! lol
SEE YOU MONDAY MUCK :thumright:
 

tom4741

Newbie
woh lol i never said i was actualy leaving lol

its just a joke ive got though my course and il stick to it

but anyways you can pvr at any point in raleigh and theres a cut off date around 5-6 months when u lose it
and once your past the cut off date thats u in the service for the next 4 years!!!

n yer the drop out rate is quite bad .... oh well

so has the argyll just come back from a good deployment then?
 

scouse

War Hero
tom4741 said:
woh lol i never said i was actualy leaving lol

its just a joke ive got though my course and il stick to it

but anyways you can pvr at any point in raleigh and theres a cut off date around 5-6 months when u lose it
and once your past the cut off date thats u in the service for the next 4 years!!!

n yer the drop out rate is quite bad .... oh well

so has the argyll just come back from a good deployment then?
She is the lead ship. For the parade of sail at Liverpool, at 1400 Monday 21 st July.Some 70 tall ships are in formation :thumright:
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp HMS Argyll: Navy crew saves 27 from burning ship The Fleet 1
redmonkey HMS Argyll tries to sink Guzz Diamond Lil's 22
soleil YouTube: "HMS Argyll Turns Through 180 Degrees, Wapping, London" The Fleet 16
soleil Herald: "HMS Argyll Hosts Ghanaian Navy As City Sailors Head To The Jungle" The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS News story: HMS Argyll deploys on counter-narcotics operations MoD News 0
soleil Herald: "HMS Argyll Trip Disappointment For Dozens" The Fleet 2
MoD_RSS HMS Argyll deploys to Middle East after refit Current Affairs 0
Murph HMS Argyll - Visit to North Shields - 21st March Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
soleil Argyll News: "Campbeltown Bids A 6 Day Last Farewell To HMS Campbeltown" The Fleet 2
Hermes_R12 HMS Argyll in Liverpool (pictures) The Fleet 0
Alfacharlie HMS Norman Diamond Lil's 8
B Speakers at Hms Raleigh Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 11
N Son joining HMS Collingwood 8th Feb 2021 Joining the Royal Navy 7
BratMedic HMS Sepoy History 0
Wreckmasterjay HMS Fearless and the sinking of Foxtrot 4 History 5
D HMS EAGLE old crew Nearest & Dearest 5
MoD_RSS HMS Audacious sails from Barrow MoD News 0
J Hms sultan start dates 2021 Joining the Royal Navy 3
Pandaplodder HMS Intrepid 1823 History 3
B Pre HMS Raleigh brief Joining the Royal Navy 13
MoD_RSS From Portsmouth to Odesa, UK and Ukraine naval cooperation on show as Ukrainian President visits HMS Prince of Wales MoD News 0
soleil BBC: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: On board The Royal Navy's New Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
D HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
soleil P. News: "Royal Navy's HMS Sultan Forced To Cancel Popular Fireworks Due To Covid-19" Bases / Shore Est 4
soleil FB: HMNB Portsmouth: "HMS Ledbury Returns Home From The Gulf" The Fleet 0
soleil Lochside Press: "Camilla Calls At Faslane To See HMS Astute" Submariners 7
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh 'HMS Raleigh Welcomes Capt Suzi Nielsen As Its New Commanding Officer' Bases / Shore Est 24
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh RN Submarine School - Torpoint Marathon To Raise Money For The Submariners' Memorial Appeal Submariners 3
soleil P. News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth Leaves Portsmouth For Training With US Marines F-35" The Fleet 8
N HMS Sultan Simulator training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
J HMS Talybont and HMS Cobra History 5
D Where is HMS Enterprise? Current Affairs 17
A 2.4km run at HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 7
MoD_RSS HMS Enterprise to deploy to Port of Beirut as Defence Secretary sets out package of support to Lebanon MoD News 0
J What happens after HMS sultan and where are you based Joining the Royal Navy 22
soleil FB: Forces News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth Sails Back Into Her Home Port Of Portsmouth As A "Fully Trained" Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
soleil FB: RN: Submarine Specialist Naval Reservists Join HMS Queen Elizabeth Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 6
soleil FB: RMRN: Take A Look Around HMS Holland I, The First Submarine To Be Commissioned By The Royal Navy Submariners 0
TechnicPR Does anyone have the HMS Raleigh JI/Kit List? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
soleil Forces TV: Basic Training At HMS Raleigh: "We Can't Afford To Stop". Bases / Shore Est 7
C PRNC 15TH JUNE HMS COLLINGWOOD Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 38
D HMS Surprise History 3
D HMS Collingwood leave dates UPO/Careers Office 23
soleil Portsmouth News: "34 Great Old Photos Of The Famous Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Hermes" The Fleet 1
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Prince Of Wales To Carry Out Investigation After Flooding Onboard" The Fleet 16
soleil Scuba Diver Mag: "Heart of Oak – On Board The Royal Navy’s HMS Richmond" The Fleet 0
soleil Cornish Times: "HMS Raleigh's Wartime Role Remembered As Latest Recruits Prepare To Pass-out On VE Day 75" Bases / Shore Est 1
A What happens after interview stage? How long do you have to wait till you get to HMS Raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
C Loss of HMS Sheffield Current Affairs 3
WreckerL HMS Affray Submariners 3
Similar threads


















































New Posts

Top