HMS Argyll

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by tom4741, Jul 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. is anybody serving on the argyll here?

im just finishing my time in collingwood, going to join my first ship

as far as i no its spending its time in refit then in faslane till xmas

but after that.... some ppl say its got a med/south atlantic deployment but others say a 9 month refit!!!!

lol the thoughts enough to papa victor romeo! lol

2. I was in ARGYLL for a Gulf deployment a few years ago - fantastic Ship, happy, no probs at all. There have been a lot of changes since then, but I'm sure the spirit is still there. Enjoy! (I wish I could go back!)

3. I spent a short time on there. I'm not a fan of 23's mysefl I was 42 man. As for refits the ships do have them I'm afraid. Usually get a get deployment at the end of it. I doubt it will go from Refit into another refit doesn't make sense.

As for PVR'ing if it's in refit is a bit silly tbh

4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Tom4741: Welcome to Rum Ration and good luck on joining your first ship!

However can I suggest that you contact your future DO, Department Co-ordinator or EWO on board the Argyll to find out more. And I would also suggest that Ship's programmes are not discussed in the public forum.

:thumright:

5. lol its a running joke with the ppl here

i started my course 10 week ago with 14 ppl

were down to 6 now lol though failing exams and pvr's their droppin like flies

and 2 of the lads are handing their notices in on friday! so a small group are going to pass out

AND the group behind us 11 sat the first exam, 10 failed! are their any warfare specs out there!!!!!!!

6. Am I missing something? How can these non-handlers put their notice in already? Has something changed? If what he has written is true, something is inherently wrong with the training at MWS. I hope all these lads and lasses failing and banging out is gash dits.

7. PVR is not uncommon. You could PVR in basic training when I joined up in 96 under 17's could leave as unhappy juniors up to about year after joining.

8. Aye in basic but in Part 3?!? What's going on?

9. Yes, its too soft on them and they can normally fail at least three exams before even being considered SNLR.

As for Tom4741, I really cannot believe you would wish to submit your PVR just because you have not been given the draft you wanted or desired. It just shows how fickle and weak you are and probably best you do go mate if that is how you feel.

I work at MWS Collingwood and am amazed at how bad some of the trainees are and by that I mean their attitude towards anything they do not agree with. Last time I looked at standing orders of any description the Navy was still a disciplined service and not Highbury College.

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Amazing co-incidence, but firstly:

Spot on- OPSEC guys, "Not a dirty word Blackadder"

That said, I'm on the Argyll tomorrow with hordes of visiting School children! (Bet the ship's company can't wait!)

11. Agreed, if you want to PVR just because the programme isn't what you want it to be then best for all of us if you do one, do you think I would like to spend two Xmas's in Afghan? Or 3 med trips in a row? Not really but IT'S THE JOB I SIGNED UP FOR. I find it hard to believe that this is a common thing though, surely the majority of trainees don't feel this way and aren't so ready to bang out, if they do then what's going on? Am I alone in finding this more than a litle disturbing if it is true?

12. Unfortunatly.

If your thinking of PVR now i think you should do it. I mean just wait until you have to start watch keeping and even worse painting.

13. This seems to be a fad of modern society - "if everything isn't rosy and absolutely perfect then bin it and move on".

What happened to giving it a go? Go to sea and try it out - don't give up on an idea so bloody easily. Everyone's job has shit aspects - there are plenty of days I'm at work thinking "Christ, here we go again", but I don't resign over it!

What you have to realise is that no job is perfect. The RN (all branches) offers a good job with good prospects: I'm not saying you should stay for the rest of your life, but don't give up the second you pass out at RALEIGH.

14. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

NS: So how was your Ship's visit with the whores for schoolchildren?

:wink:

15. Mate - it's standard fit for the mobile phone / dot.com generation. Everything today on tick, no waiting and not willing to work hard to get there. The result is that very little has meaning because there was very little effort required in obtaining it. This is not all YOUFF but enough to taint many perceptions. Very sad stuff!!

SF

17. SEE YOU MONDAY MUCK :thumright:

18. woh lol i never said i was actualy leaving lol

its just a joke ive got though my course and il stick to it

but anyways you can pvr at any point in raleigh and theres a cut off date around 5-6 months when u lose it
    and once your past the cut off date thats u in the service for the next 4 years!!!

n yer the drop out rate is quite bad .... oh well

so has the argyll just come back from a good deployment then?

19. She is the lead ship. For the parade of sail at Liverpool, at 1400 Monday 21 st July.Some 70 tall ships are in formation :thumright:

20. ARGYLL is being sold to the Chileans