HMS Ardent

Discussion in 'Nearest & Dearest' started by Stripey_G, May 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. To start with, I hope I have the correct forum here, but I'm sure that if not it will be put right.

Twenty five years ago today (21 May 1982) HMS Ardent, a Type 21 Frigate, was severly damaged by bombs and rockets from Argentine aircraft whilst supporting troop landings in San Carlos waters in the Falklands conflict.
    She sank some 12 hours later with the loss of 22 lives.

AB(S) Derek Armstrong
    Lt Cdr Richard Banfield
    AB(S) Andrew Barr
    POAEM(M) Peter Brouard
    CKRichard Dunkerley
    ALCK Michael Foote
    MEM(M)2 Stephen Ford
    ASTD Shaun Hanson
    AB(S) Shaun Hayward
    AB(EW) Stephen Heyes
    WEM(R)1 Simon Lawson
    MEM(M)2 Alistair Leighton
    AEMN(1) Allan McAuley
    ALS(R) Michael Mullen
    LT Brian Murphy
    LPTGary Nelson
    APOWM(R) Andrew Palmer
    CK John Roberts
    LT CDR John Sephton DSC (posthumous)
    ALMEM(M) Stephen White
    LMEM(L) Garry Whitford
    MEM(M)1 Gilbert Williams

I post this in memory of my shipmates who were lost on my "sister" ship on that fateful day. (I was serving on Avenger at the time)
    I understand and bereave the loss of all personsd who lost thier lives during that conflict, and in no way want to distract from that, but the "21 Club" had a close knit bond which made it all the more harder for us on Avenger. (HMS Antelope was to be lost on May 24, another "sister" to die.)
    One of the guys listed was my "opposite number" on Ardent and also one of my best friends. They will, like others, not be forgotten.

Tonight I will raise a glass in their memory and hope that any Ardent crew from 1982 will forgive me for posting this if they think I've overstepped my mark.

All gave some...some gave all. Continue to Rest In Peace Shipmates.....
  2. ITV News tonight (1830 and 2230) will show a return trip to the Falklands made earlier this year by HMS Ardent survivors and Clearance Divers who placed memorial plaques on the wreck.
  3. Best regards to you, matey, may you enjoy your tipple whilst thinking of your lost but not forgotten shipmates.

Kind regards

4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The book about Ardent "Through Fire & Water" brought tears to my eyes and a lump to my throat; for an 'all-ranks' perspective on life under fire on a warship I cannot recommend this book highly enough. RIP Shipmates.

5. Thanks buddy, I know you'll have a tot or two......