HMS Apollo Fastest ship in the RN???? 40 KNTS

Stirling

Banned
HMS Manxman, British minelayer, WW2

Prepared for minelay in Mediterranean at Kyle of Lochalsh (Operation MINCEMEAT) (Note: These included adoption of a disguise to ship so it appeared similar to Vichy
French LEOPARD during the passage through French coastal waters for a
mine lay off west coast of Italy. Some sources record that this was the only
occasion when a British warships displayed French colours as part of a
deception plan)
Another school day.BZ

Ballistic

War Hero
I'm prepared to be shot down by more knowledgeable people but I seem to remember that HMS Ambuscade, following a collision with a U.S. warship became the fastest T21 by a factor* of about 1.5 knots due to having the damaged bow removed and replaced with a slightly "sleeker" version in dry dock in Bombay in 1983.

*"factor" is the wrong word but I've just got back from the pub and ... well... you know...

Jesus, all these swinging lanterns...hard hat territory without a doubt....or an empty doby bucket in the absence of something more suitable! The old 'Undaunted' (type 15) would push 28 knots plus at full power (Portland Training Squadron) an she did shake around just a tad. Down in the boiler room it felt like she was exceeding the speed of sound, fans screaming, noise indescribable, praying that the fuel pumps would continue to 'Reciprocate' click, click,click...(Stirling, have you come in your ovies yet?) and panicking when the Boiler Room Tiff even LOOKED like wanting to 'tweak' them a little.....and warned not to under pain of death!
Happy days, alas never to be repeated!

nobby0919

Lantern Swinger
Another one for the black hand gang, Stirling et al.

And Rapid only lost the race cos' she lifted main safetys on the home straight.

blrrm.jpg

Last edited:

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Exactly what is says, a burst of speed as opposed to a sustained speed.
Don't do that on boats, apart from cavitation issues (we don't want to make it too easy for ASW peeps), if you whack the throttles open you'll just end up scramming the kettle. Nice and easy up to max chat is the way to do it.

D

Deleted 493

Don't forget HMS Exmouth (F84). The first ship to trial the Olympus Tyne's (COGOG) before the Type 42. I have seen an MOD film of this but far faster than an T42 as she was lighter.

Hard to prove but I would suggest that this is / was the fastest skimmer in the fleet.
Exmouth had one Olympus TM1As and two Proteus 10Ms.

Levers

RPO

What about Ark on full power and four screws. Didnt she do High speed for getting the phantoms up

appychap

and the others were Manxman, Welshman and Latona. I was on Manxman 1967/8 in the far east and with just 2 of the original six boilers she could still reach 28Kts. I do remember reading the 'Ships Book' in the ME Office and the speed on Makers trials was 46 knots, with modern propeller technology - who knows!!

Brockleblow

Yes, there was. I left the ship and was drafted to Drake just after the seaman branch refused to leave their messdeck. Our messdeck (stokers) was above it. The Captain, Brayne-Nicholls, was both an excellent seaman and a first-class leader of men. The idiot that replaced him (and his no.1) were neither. I've forgotten their names.

bollotom

War Hero
Some of the Type 14s could certainly knock it up. Probably damaged the machinery at full chat. I was on Diana, Daring Class, in company with Manxman at various times and they would leave us standing much to the chagrin of "Hardover" Startin.
Manxman appears to be recorded as slightly slower than Apollo but they certainly were a sight when overtaking. :cool:

Edit due to brain-fart.
I thought We'd been with Apollo too but I see she was decommissioned in 1961 so couldn't have been her. Memory slipping as I also thought Abdiel was around mid-sixties too.

Last edited:

Dusty70

War Hero
Exmouth wasn't fast (my 2nd ship) but we were long gone before the steam ships could get up to full speed as we had instant start and go and we had one of the first variable pitch propellers, we could go from full ahead to full astern in 2 ships lengths........apparently, but top speed was only around 24 - 26 knots as the old hull couldn't take it !!

you could also hear us coming from about 5 miles away......................................

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Portsmouth News: "34 Great Old Photos Of The Famous Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Hermes" The Fleet 1
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Prince Of Wales To Carry Out Investigation After Flooding Onboard" The Fleet 16
soleil Scuba Diver Mag: "Heart of Oak – On Board The Royal Navy’s HMS Richmond" The Fleet 0
soleil Cornish Times: "HMS Raleigh's Wartime Role Remembered As Latest Recruits Prepare To Pass-out On VE Day 75" Bases / Shore Est 1
A What happens after interview stage? How long do you have to wait till you get to HMS Raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
C Loss of HMS Sheffield Current Affairs 3
WreckerL HMS Affray Submariners 3
D HMS Hermes Farewell Current Affairs 5
R HMS L10 History 2
N Warship Series 1 HMS Illustrious Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 1
soleil FB: HMS President - ‘Dunker’ Training At RNAS Yeovilton Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
R Phase 2 training at HMS Sultan Joining the Royal Navy 0
soleil Naval Technology: "HMS Prince of Wales to begin F-35 trials in January 2021" The Fleet 1
soleil FB: RN - Liverpool: 18-year-old Sailor Rhys Gets A Birthday Surprise From His Family On Board HMS Prince Of Wales The Fleet 0
soleil FB: HMNB Portsmouth: Seven Sprightly WW2 Veterans Visit HMS Queen Elizabeth The Fleet 9
BillyNoMates HMS INTREPID - scrapping. History 0
BillyNoMates V(S)TOL, on HMS DASHER? Diamond Lil's 9
soleil Portsmouth News: "Weetabix Advert Stars Gosport Submarine Museum's HMS Alliance" Submariners 8
harbour_cotter HMS TRADEWIND WWII SUBMARINE Submariners 2
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh - A New Recruit By The Name Of Raleigh Bases / Shore Est 4
soleil YT: HMS Northumberland The Fleet 1
soleil Navy News (FB): North Shields - HMS Northumberland - Ship Open To Visitors - Saturday, February 8th 2020 The Fleet 1
MoD_RSS First UK night flights land in HMS Queen Elizabeth MoD News 0
soleil HMS Prince of Wales To Make Inaugural Visit To Liverpool The Fleet 43
soleil FB: HMS Sultan: "It's An Air Engineering First For Accelerated Apprentices" Bases / Shore Est 6
soleil FB: Navy News "HMS Ashanti Ghana 50th Anniversary" History 0
M HMS Raleigh shutdown over Easter Joining the Royal Navy 4
soleil Tw: HMS Cattistock M31 - Second Mine Countermeasures Squadron - Standing NATO Mine Countermeasures Group 1 The Fleet 0
Bad CO HMS Arrow - Anyone Know Where the Ship's Bell Is? History 17
soleil FB: RN Photographers: British F-35B Lightning Jets Have Flown From HMS Queen Elizabeth In UK Waters Today, 28th January 2020 The Fleet Air Arm 2
soleil Portsmouth News: "RN Suffers 'Embarrassing' Fault With HMS Queen Elizabeth That Delayed UK Sea Trials Of F-35" The Fleet 8
soleil FB: Portsmouth News "What An Amazing Photo Of HMS Queen Elizabeth And HMS Prince Of Wales" Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil RN Website: HMS Raleigh's Physio's Fundraising Mission Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Aggies: Vacancy For A Lay Pastoral Worker To Work In Support Of Commodore Royal Fleet Auxiliary, HMS Excellent RFA 0
soleil FB: HMNB Devonport: HMS Scott Pauses For Reflection Over One Of The Navy’s Most Hallowed Sites History 2
R Tips and tricks for HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 19
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh Page: "A Short Video Of The Cornwell27s At Pier Cellars This Week" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh - 80th Anniversary Bases / Shore Est 2
D HMS Raleigh Payroll team Joining the Royal Navy 7
soleil Mail: HMS Defender Seizes £3.3m Haul Of Crystal Meth From Drug Smuggler's Dhow In The Arabian Sea The Fleet 3
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh page - The Twelve Days Of Christmas Bases / Shore Est 1
MoD_RSS HMS Scott provides support for search MoD News 0
soleil i: "'A Fitting Tribute': Second World War Hero's Uniform Pride Of Place On HMS Prince of Wales" History 2
soleil FB: Video Highlights Of Yesterday's Commissioning Ceremony for HMS Prince of Wales - Editing By LPhot Dan Rosenbaum The Fleet 1
soleil Mail: "Divers Uncover Guns, A Mop And Even Bottles Of Booze From British Warship HMS Invincible" History 10
janner HMS Sussex History 0
Ageing_Gracefully HMS QE & PoW in Portsmouth The Fleet 22
soleil FB: The Band Of HM Royal Marines Portsmouth Welcomes HMS Queen Elizabeth On Her Return To HMNB Portsmouth The Corps 2
soleil Navy News (FB): HMS Sultan - Charity Moustache Growing Event Bases / Shore Est 7
soleil Mail: "Real-Life 'Rocket Man' Wearing A Jet Pack Launches From ... HMS Queen Elizabeth" The Fleet 8