HMS Apollo Fastest ship in the RN???? 40 KNTS

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
TROUBRIDGE as a Type 15 reached 36 knots in post-refit trials off Malta 1964, same speed as she was designed for when built in WW 2. There was a famous race between RAPID and CAVALIER in the 70s, but can't remember who won (sun dodging at the time) - both were doing well over 3ok.
I think that someone posted a Pathe News clip about the race a while back

flymo

War Hero
Illustrious cracked 37 knots in '85. Watched it on a gyro repeater during removal of limiter trials instead of scrubbing out some nameless flat in the Island. She was shaking a bit though..

D

Deleted 493

Guys. All this supposition is riding well above what the design speed of these vessels are, what the torque limitations are (and they are significant) and prevailing ambient/sea conditons are. Olympus TM3B (which propell CVS, T21, 22 and 42) will only stick out 33800 horses out of it's back end, which when transferred down the transmission and through the not very hydrodynamic propellor system turns out in the case of the smaller ships to be around 23250 (plus bits) per shaft. Given T21 is around 3000t, the law of diminishing returns regarding horses per knot would possibly top this out at 33 knots, with deep water, a good sea state and favourable ambient conditions. This would also require the CPP ssystem to be 'detuned' somewhat to fine-off pitch to around 29.5 degrees, the Olympus itself to be optimised to the prevailing conditions (and to max out, the engine and its fuel control system would have to be 'nad-on') and a massively close eye kept upon shaft torque at top end. The hull would have to be spotless as well and the ship in a decent displacement/trim.

Sure, 21s looked impressive up on the top of a bow wave, but assumed speed and measured mile speed and ships log speed are three entirely different things. To get good high speed, you need a robust propulsion system designed to deliver that power through the hull, a decent hull form and perfect conditions to do it in. Even three degrees of Celcuis can make an enormous impact upon delivery of power.

Levers

Don't forget HMS Exmouth (F84). The first ship to trial the Olympus Tyne's (COGOG) before the Type 42. I have seen an MOD film of this but far faster than an T42 as she was lighter.

Hard to prove but I would suggest that this is / was the fastest skimmer in the fleet.

flymo

War Hero
Guys. All this supposition is riding well above what the design speed of these vessels are, what the torque limitations are (and they are significant) and prevailing ambient/sea conditons are. Olympus TM3B (which propell CVS, T21, 22 and 42) will only stick out 33800 horses out of it's back end, which when transferred down the transmission and through the not very hydrodynamic propellor system turns out in the case of the smaller ships to be around 23250 (plus bits) per shaft. Given T21 is around 3000t, the law of diminishing returns regarding horses per knot would possibly top this out at 33 knots, with deep water, a good sea state and favourable ambient conditions. This would also require the CPP ssystem to be 'detuned' somewhat to fine-off pitch to around 29.5 degrees, the Olympus itself to be optimised to the prevailing conditions (and to max out, the engine and its fuel control system would have to be 'nad-on') and a massively close eye kept upon shaft torque at top end. The hull would have to be spotless as well and the ship in a decent displacement/trim.

Sure, 21s looked impressive up on the top of a bow wave, but assumed speed and measured mile speed and ships log speed are three entirely different things. To get good high speed, you need a robust propulsion system designed to deliver that power through the hull, a decent hull form and perfect conditions to do it in. Even three degrees of Celcuis can make an enormous impact upon delivery of power.

Levers
Cheers Levers, but that meant absolutely nuffink to me as I am just a failed dumb shit Golly

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
nobby0919 said:
Pic taken by me in 1969 on Rapid, FPT off the Bass Rock measured mile, just over 31 knots I think it was.
Reminds me of the joys of band practice on HMS Illustrious in the 'church' in the bowels of the ship in 7-Tango. (The Captain at the time, coincidentally, was Jonathon of the 'Band' variety, too). Many is the time, just as I was about to toot on my hooter, the Officer Of the Watch would inexplicably up-revs to 'full clack' & crank-on 30 degrees full wheel. We'd all bounce across the deck in unison & end-up in a messy heap as the ship literally thundered, rattled & rolled at full speed. I'm only glad the tuba wouldn't fit in a bodily orifice as there was the always the probability of some terrible incidents with the smaller instruments.

Well, that's the excuse they gave me, anyway :-|

trelawney126

War Hero
Don't forget HMS Exmouth (F84). The first ship to trial the Olympus Tyne's (COGOG) before the Type 42. I have seen an MOD film of this but far faster than an T42 as she was lighter.

Hard to prove but I would suggest that this is / was the fastest skimmer in the fleet.
I assume that was before the engine bits came out of the funnel.

D

Deleted 493

Exmouth had 1 x Olympus TM1 which was limited to 15000 SHP and two Bristol Siddeley Proteus. It's doubtful given this power output she would have been that fast, especially as the Blackwood Class were single prop arrangements.

Levers

The speed of HMS Apollo was, indeed, not supposition. I was on this ship from early 1956 to the back end of 1957. She often reached speeds, on speed trials, of well over 40 knots. There was talk at one time that she shoud go for the Blue Ribband. High speed turns were a challenge to anyone at the wheel, the order "hard to port" meant sticking your feet on the starboard bulkhead or letting go of the wheel, the latter was not recommended!
After speed trials, the first job, on entering port, was to paint all 3 funnels, they used to turn a sort of yellow colour with the heat.

Bungy

UncleAlbert

War Hero
I had a draft to Manxman late sixties she was in Singapore being used as a minesweeper depot ship ..then they decided to bring her home and the draft was cancelled ..I went to Triumph FMG instead.

Platelayer

Midshipman
Torquay did an instant high speed run to Malta after we picked up piece of "allegedly" Russian super sneaky kit found floating. Not sure how fast we went but I've never seen a type twelve with it's arse that far down in the water and that much of a smoke trail, not to mention the rattling and banging ! Late sixties I think but old age play hell with the memory.

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
The National Archives file on the mutiny makes interesting reading (as do many other of their files on naval matters). A junior Lt was let off quarterly report because of the key role he played in getting the men back to their duty. I served with this chap twice later on. No names as he's probably still with us as he was a master at conserving energy but had a wizard touch with people, including picking the right man for the job, and talking his way out of trouble.

old_fart

Lantern Swinger
I was on the Paladin which could do over 30kts on full power. Once exercising with the Apollo and she left us standing.

Rumrat

War Hero
=========================================================

=========================================================

Oddly enough I read somewhere only recently that the MANXMAN had once clocked up 42.5 knots.

Her website indicates 42 Kn had been achieved and includes several True Dits - Including one from her WW2 CO of the time he made a quick dash & took her close into Italian waters for a minelaying operation, disguised as a French Warship and wearing the Fr. Uniforms & Ensign!

Hms Manxman Operation Mincemeat Aug 1941

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A boiler Room Phot 'specially for Stirling & the other RR stokee boys to drool over:

HMS Manxman, British minelayer, WW2

Prepared for minelay in Mediterranean at Kyle of Lochalsh (Operation MINCEMEAT) (Note: These included adoption of a disguise to ship so it appeared similar to Vichy
French LEOPARD during the passage through French coastal waters for a
mine lay off west coast of Italy. Some sources record that this was the only
occasion when a British warships displayed French colours as part of a
deception plan)

taffscrivs

War Hero
I spent a short time on Manxman whilst waiting to join Antrim(still building in John Brown's, Glasgow at the time, 1970). Manxman was Dartmouth training ship at the time and I can remember a big flash plaque on board proclaiming that she was the Navy's fastest ever warship at 43 knots.

speedkey

Midshipman
HMS Tenacity FPB (Big Bastard) (Fish Sqdn) 1973 Pentland Firth stern sea 3 Proteus Gas Turbines rung on, 48 kts, boat was flying.............

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Portsmouth News: "34 Great Old Photos Of The Famous Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Hermes" The Fleet 1
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Prince Of Wales To Carry Out Investigation After Flooding Onboard" The Fleet 16
soleil Scuba Diver Mag: "Heart of Oak – On Board The Royal Navy’s HMS Richmond" The Fleet 0
soleil Cornish Times: "HMS Raleigh's Wartime Role Remembered As Latest Recruits Prepare To Pass-out On VE Day 75" Bases / Shore Est 1
A What happens after interview stage? How long do you have to wait till you get to HMS Raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
C Loss of HMS Sheffield Current Affairs 3
WreckerL HMS Affray Submariners 3
D HMS Hermes Farewell Current Affairs 5
R HMS L10 History 2
N Warship Series 1 HMS Illustrious Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 1
soleil FB: HMS President - ‘Dunker’ Training At RNAS Yeovilton Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
R Phase 2 training at HMS Sultan Joining the Royal Navy 0
soleil Naval Technology: "HMS Prince of Wales to begin F-35 trials in January 2021" The Fleet 1
soleil FB: RN - Liverpool: 18-year-old Sailor Rhys Gets A Birthday Surprise From His Family On Board HMS Prince Of Wales The Fleet 0
soleil FB: HMNB Portsmouth: Seven Sprightly WW2 Veterans Visit HMS Queen Elizabeth The Fleet 9
BillyNoMates HMS INTREPID - scrapping. History 0
BillyNoMates V(S)TOL, on HMS DASHER? Diamond Lil's 9
soleil Portsmouth News: "Weetabix Advert Stars Gosport Submarine Museum's HMS Alliance" Submariners 8
harbour_cotter HMS TRADEWIND WWII SUBMARINE Submariners 2
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh - A New Recruit By The Name Of Raleigh Bases / Shore Est 4
soleil YT: HMS Northumberland The Fleet 1
soleil Navy News (FB): North Shields - HMS Northumberland - Ship Open To Visitors - Saturday, February 8th 2020 The Fleet 1
MoD_RSS First UK night flights land in HMS Queen Elizabeth MoD News 0
soleil HMS Prince of Wales To Make Inaugural Visit To Liverpool The Fleet 43
soleil FB: HMS Sultan: "It's An Air Engineering First For Accelerated Apprentices" Bases / Shore Est 6
soleil FB: Navy News "HMS Ashanti Ghana 50th Anniversary" History 0
M HMS Raleigh shutdown over Easter Joining the Royal Navy 4
soleil Tw: HMS Cattistock M31 - Second Mine Countermeasures Squadron - Standing NATO Mine Countermeasures Group 1 The Fleet 0
Bad CO HMS Arrow - Anyone Know Where the Ship's Bell Is? History 17
soleil FB: RN Photographers: British F-35B Lightning Jets Have Flown From HMS Queen Elizabeth In UK Waters Today, 28th January 2020 The Fleet Air Arm 2
soleil Portsmouth News: "RN Suffers 'Embarrassing' Fault With HMS Queen Elizabeth That Delayed UK Sea Trials Of F-35" The Fleet 8
soleil FB: Portsmouth News "What An Amazing Photo Of HMS Queen Elizabeth And HMS Prince Of Wales" Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil RN Website: HMS Raleigh's Physio's Fundraising Mission Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Aggies: Vacancy For A Lay Pastoral Worker To Work In Support Of Commodore Royal Fleet Auxiliary, HMS Excellent RFA 0
soleil FB: HMNB Devonport: HMS Scott Pauses For Reflection Over One Of The Navy’s Most Hallowed Sites History 2
R Tips and tricks for HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 19
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh Page: "A Short Video Of The Cornwell27s At Pier Cellars This Week" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh - 80th Anniversary Bases / Shore Est 2
D HMS Raleigh Payroll team Joining the Royal Navy 7
soleil Mail: HMS Defender Seizes £3.3m Haul Of Crystal Meth From Drug Smuggler's Dhow In The Arabian Sea The Fleet 3
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh page - The Twelve Days Of Christmas Bases / Shore Est 1
MoD_RSS HMS Scott provides support for search MoD News 0
soleil i: "'A Fitting Tribute': Second World War Hero's Uniform Pride Of Place On HMS Prince of Wales" History 2
soleil FB: Video Highlights Of Yesterday's Commissioning Ceremony for HMS Prince of Wales - Editing By LPhot Dan Rosenbaum The Fleet 1
soleil Mail: "Divers Uncover Guns, A Mop And Even Bottles Of Booze From British Warship HMS Invincible" History 10
janner HMS Sussex History 0
Ageing_Gracefully HMS QE & PoW in Portsmouth The Fleet 22
soleil FB: The Band Of HM Royal Marines Portsmouth Welcomes HMS Queen Elizabeth On Her Return To HMNB Portsmouth The Corps 2
soleil Navy News (FB): HMS Sultan - Charity Moustache Growing Event Bases / Shore Est 7
soleil Mail: "Real-Life 'Rocket Man' Wearing A Jet Pack Launches From ... HMS Queen Elizabeth" The Fleet 8