HMS Amethyst

N

Nippit

I believe that Lt Cdr John Kerans, the Naval Attache who was sent to Amethyst to take command and fought her out of the river and back to the Fleet, never made Commander. Such is the gratitude of their Lordships!
I've just seen this.
John Kerans was promoted to Commander having received the DSO for his Amethyst exploits. There's a photograph of him somewhere with Richard Todd (the actor who portrayed him) wearing his scrambled egg cap.
He was rather too fond of the booze and paid the price, sadly. I liked him-- and thought him rather good company.
He died in 1985.

N

Nippit

My wife has just reminded me that Kerans was elected the Conservative MP for Hartlepools, becoming a pain in the side of PM Harold MacMillan (sp?)
My wife doesn't share my view that John was agreeable company. She reminds me that on one lunch-time visit to the Cricket Club in Victoria Hong Kong he placed his hand on her knee and wouldn't remove it when requested. He received the sharp edge of her tongue.

Wasn't the engineering officer of Amethyst at Ganges in 1959/60. I seem to remember some attachment to Amethyst. Chap had a limp said to be from injuries sustained. :cool:
May have been articifer Leonard Williams he survived sinking of
HMS DRAGONFLY in Feb "42 pow of japs after war served on Royal Yacht till he retired, book I have ' No better friend' by Robert Weintraub gives a really good account of the action of HMS Amethyst.

Jacobus

Lantern Swinger
The PLA were gifted the HMS Tamar building in Hong Kong upon handover. They recently painted a bloody great communist star front and centre of the building, just above where the wardroom used to be (I dread to think what state it's in now ). They also bricked up the Chapel windows, however neglected to rename the accommodation blocks. So we now have PLA soldiers residing in Blake and AMETHYST blocks. So far no one has pointed out the irony to them.
I did try and take some photographs of the newly repainted Amethyst sign, however in the light of the Occupy Central movement the PLA for some reason were more twitchy than usual and I got moved on pretty sharpish. I'm also allergic to the food at Stanley prison.

Don't shoot me down on this, but I think I remember reading that as a younger officer, Kerans was given the job to oversee the removal of 200 plus dead bodies from a cruiser in Malta harbour ( again not sure of the name, could have been H.M.S Penelope) that had been killed when the ship had been bombed leaving Create. Lets cut the man some slack, I know I would have needed a drink for the rest of my life after witnessing that charnel house.

dhobyitch

Lantern Swinger
Don't shoot me down on this, but I think I remember reading that as a younger officer, Kerans was given the job to oversee the removal of 200 plus dead bodies from a cruiser in Malta harbour ( again not sure of the name, could have been H.M.S Penelope) that had been killed when the ship had been bombed leaving Create. Lets cut the man some slack, I know I would have needed a drink for the rest of my life after witnessing that charnel house.
From the book above:

HMS Orion, had just sailed from Crete, crammed with soldiers, when she was successfully dive-bombed. The casualties were huge - 300 were killed on one mess deck alone. She limped back to Alexandria for repairs, and it was Keran's horrific task to take charge of the working party, who, with the stench of death had to dig out the dismembered remains of bodies.

He was traumatised by this and never fully recovered.

Thanks mucker for putting me straight and if the man wants to put his hand on a Lady's leg, well thats fine with me! Just don't get caught. The man is still a hero to me...

Last edited:
"Lash up 'n stow".

Followed by some swift Damage Control action aboard HMS LONDON during the AMETHYST incident:

Dated 21st Oct 2017 this nostalgic article includes a couple of hoofing dits from a local 93 yr old former RM Sgt. aboard LONDON at that time. BZ Royal.

<<...I will not go into detail about what happened to HMS Amethyst as it is well recorded, but what is not is that the frigate HMS Black Swan and HMS London were sent to help Amethyst which was grounded...>>

Read more at: http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/heritag...ndon-under-attack-by-chinese-forces-1-8206153

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
I believe that Lt Cdr John Kerans, the Naval Attache who was sent to Amethyst to take command and fought her out of the river and back to the Fleet, never made Commander. Such is the gratitude of their Lordships!
Under any other circumstances he would have been court-martialled and Dismissed the Service as he disobeyed the direct orders of 1/SL Admiral Lord Frazer