HMS Ambrose II Shetland WW2

murmanseld

Midshipman
I’m researching submarine movements/activities through Lerwick, Shetland Islands during WW2 and in particular the shore base here in Lerwick, HMS Ambrose II, the forward Base for HMS Ambrose in Dundee. There is little to be found about the base locally and I wondered if any of the members on here had any more information about this base or links to where I might find out more. Thanks. John

lanky

Lantern Swinger
I’m researching submarine movements/activities through Lerwick, Shetland Islands during WW2 and in particular the shore base here in Lerwick, HMS Ambrose II, the forward Base for HMS Ambrose in Dundee. There is little to be found about the base locally and I wondered if any of the members on here had any more information about this base or links to where I might find out more. Thanks. John
1651476397646.png

@murmanseld - The staff at the Royal Naval Submarine Museum, Gosport, hold considerable S/M Service archives and were formerly very helpful with individual inquiries. You might try them but they are now subsumed and incorporated into the National Museum of the Royal Navy <[email protected]>

I fear that that being a much larger outfit ithey may prove not quite so helpful as, like many large museum organisations nowadays, the overall business aim is to sell tickets, tours 'n' tat, but don't quote me.

As an alternative I'd suggest you might try an email to the Sec. of the Barrow in Furness Branch of the RN Submariners Association, Barrie Downer (former submariner & Lt Cdr RN & S/M historian) his details are here:
https://www.submarinersassociation.co.uk/barrow-in-furness#:~:text=The Submariners Association is an,service in Her Majesty's Submarines

HTH, please let us know how you get on. Bob L