HMS Alliance Appeal

Discussion in 'Charity' started by janner, May 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Some members of the Dorset Branch of the Submariners Association will be at the Military Fete at Highcliffe in Dorset on Saturday 4th June 2011 trying to raise money for the appeal.

Because of this two of us went up to the RN Submarine Museum on Thursday to pick up some bits and pieces. We decided to do the Museum tour whilst we were there.

Introductory speech by "Charlie" our guide before going onto the Alliance, starts with, "Any foreigners who don't speak English very well?" or words to that effect. "Me" says one very small and not unattractive young lady. "Where are you from?" "Argentina" came the reply.
    "I'll miss out the bit about the Mark 8 torpedo and the Belgrano then." says Charlie.

For me Jack (or ex) at his very best, trying to do the right thing and not quite succeeding.

I was chatting to the young lady on the way around, it turned out that she had sailed her own 36 foot boat mostly single handed from Argentina stopping off here and there to top off her funds, she is presently working on the Ferries out of Pompy
  2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

"Charlie" sounds like a bit of a knob, then... :roll:

Having a "Jack sense of humour" is one thing, but to ridicule a foreign visitor in public like this - one who probably wasn't even born in 1982 - reeks of xenophobic narrowmindedness.
  3. Never told a German, Frog, Eyetie, Raghead etc etc joke then SPB ?

I wonder if a Brit winning a football trophy in Buenos Aries would get away with wrapping the Union Flag around his shoulders like Tevez did with the Argie flag on Saturday.
  4. "Dont give that Reggie your name, Charlie!"
  5. I take it you disagreed with the Tower of London thread where the Beefeater is filmed giving his spiel.
    Last edited: May 17, 2011
  6. look..look...A patrolman with a sense of humour failure.....

now thats unusual.....
  7. You are Finknottle and I claim my jar of Rhubarb & Ginger Jam.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

No sign of ridicule from where I was stood, in fact the young lady thanked him for his concern and asked him to go into the Belgano affair as it was of interest to her, she asked a number of questions throughout the tour both generally and re the Belgrano all of which were answered sensibly.

Sometimes it must be hard to be the only guardian of public morals on the site SgtP. I am particularly interested in your concern for the McCanns.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. _______________________________________________

Nice one, Janner,

I suppose there's always a first time, but Regulators never could master the fine art of Back-Pedalling? :-|
  10. I did the tour on there once (only time I've ever been on a boat) and I was with one of my oppos who was a stoker, he's a little chap, about 5'4''.

The tour guide asked at the beginning if there were any serving sailors among the group and my oppo stupidly put his hand up.

Basically the tour guide spent the next 45 minutes ripping into my mate for being a midget. Funny as ****. At one point he had him crawling around under the deck plates to inspect the batteries.

Top day out.
  11. _______________________________________________________

Back towards this thread's title...................

Submarine challenge for HMS Collingwood apprentices - East Hampshire - The News

BZ - But I found this article just a little puzzling....................

<<CRAMPED EDF* apprentices are spending the weekend on board HMS Alliance to help fund its restoration>>

<<......the team of 30 apprentices** based at HMS Collingwood......>>

*How does EDF come into the story?

** I thought that we no longer train 'Apprentices', so are they really WE ETs under training?

I'll admit that this story has confused me. Does anyone here know the truth of the matter?

12. they're not navy, quite a few companies train their apprentices at collingwood and sultan now including british energy, edf and network rail aka 'the railway children' as they are known in the grad. they have their own accommodation made up of the old blocks we didn't want in collingwood and are bussed to sultan every morning.

13. Puzzle solved - VMT.