HMS Albion

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Geordie88, Jul 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just been down today to see HMS Albion docked at Sunderland with the RM recruitment and shown around by landingcraftsmen.

******* awesome ship isn't it?
  2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Was on HMS Bulwark until earlier this year. Loved every bit of it, and proud to have served on her. A great class of ship (the only downfall is that they're Guzz-based!)

3. Absolutely entirely agree SPB. Bloody wasted on Plymouth. Fantastic piece of kit.

4. One thing I didn't get was how on earth do the matelots do that slidey thing down the ladders?

Anyone care to elaborate?
  5. Erm, actually no its far from ******* awesome mate, but glad you came onboard and had a look around :)
    Mechanically its total rubbish to be honest.
    Manpower-wise its also total rubbish too. FAR FAR too top heavy and bloody micromanaged at every level.

And yes, I am onboard ;)

As for them being Guzz ships, well, at least that means there aren't any fat pompey chavs on them, eh ;)
  6. so how do you do that slidey thing doon the ladders?
  7. Lean back, hold on and just jump :)
    You use hand tightness to regulate speed of descent, but it is very bad for the knees and back!!
  8. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Top heavy, yes but for a good reason. They are command ships and so will have far more Chiefs, WOs and senior officers than normal to support the Battlestaff when they embark. But you are right about manpower being tight. They have less Seaman than a T23 and the T23 doesn't need all her seaman to run a two lane dock. Also it is the only ship I have been on were if one AB(SEA) goes u/s the ship needs to consider Defence Watches to achieve her primary role ie throwing bootnecks in their LCUs out the back.

I am biased as I have served in both ALBION and BULWARK but think they are good ships. Have their problems but nothing a few pennies couldn't solve (say the same amount of money the Treasury lost in fraud for one tax criedt last year - £9m. I kind you not the child tax creidt was fleeched for that amount in one year).
  9. Im not sure how we do it. Just practice i guess.
  10. Practise. :glasses7:
  11. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Except for those ladder chains on the LPD with a support bar halfway down ready to catch the thumbs of unsuspecting sailors, or the ladder from 01J to 1J where the Chippy recently affected repairs and it is now shinny halfway down and you gather a little speed if not careful - not that I have ever been caught out you understand, nope I know exactly what I am doing.
  12. Aye, I had a look round the beast and it's an impressive bit of kit. Unfortunately the other 'potential marines' who came for the tour asked stupid questions, like asking one of the landing craftsmen 'what the range of the goalkeeper is'. A succinct response: 'how the **** should I know?' Personally I was just happy to get some scran down me neck, even if the fish was a bit dodgy.

Anyway, I have some pictures and I might upload them if I can be arsed. The picture of the Naval Ensign abreeze over the river wear didn't come out though, shame.
  14. sgtpepperband

Lamri: Agree entirely. Embarked forces certainly make life difficult from a logistical point of view, but they definitely keep themselves to themselves. Once EMF are landed LPDs are very easy to manage. The crew of a destoyer on a capital ship; far less manpower-intensive as Fearless and Intrepid. And much better designed (apart from the boat cranes and air conditioning... two vital things guarenteed to break down in hot weather, like last year in the Gulf!!)

8O :lol:
  15. sgtpepperband

Like what he said. But never attempt it when EMF (Embarked Military Forces) are on board; they have a habit of covering the handrails in swarfs and grease.... lots of matelots with broken ankles and wrists...