HMRC

Discussion in 'International' started by FlagWagger, Mar 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Despite having left the UK nearly 3 years ago, I still haven;t been able to fully throw off the yoke of the HMRC. I was an employee of a UK company for my first 12 months, after this I became a full-time Canadian employee.

Despite not having earned any UK taxable income since July 2006, and having paid tax here in Canada (at a slightly higher rate than the UK), I am still on the mailing list of the blood-from-stones-brigade and receive an annual request for a tax return form to be submitted.

As a non-UK resident employed outside the UK by a non-UK company my tax UK affairs are confined to a single bank account. For the 07-08 tax year, in support of this bank account, my UK tax return ran to 20+ pages and several supplementary forms which resulted in a demand for nearly 5000GBP - when I contacted the HMRC to discuss this matter, I was informed that I'd filled in the wrong form (that they'd supplied to me) and that I'd have to resubmit my return with the amended information and a supplementary form that they subsequently supplied - on receiving the paperwork, I reviewed their own guides, discovered that the supplementary form (which I hadn't originally supplied and for which I'd been bollocked) wasn't actually required according to their own rules. A covering letter was written and the paperwork returned and my tax demand of 5000 GBP became a refund of 250GBP. Total time elapsed 8 months and 4 trans-Atlantic crossings for the forms.

Despite my tax return form containing details of a UK bank account, guess what? That's right, I had to request HMRC to make the payment - I think they wanted to hold onto it, just in case I had a tax liability in future years.

So, as we approach the end of the current tax year I already know that another demand for me to complete a UK tax return is winging its was through Royal Mail and Canada Post. I queried why I'm still getting these requests and was told that I hadn't completed the necessary form (P85 I think) - that's funny, one was sent in September 2006 and surprise, surprise, the HMRC have got a record of this on their system. Still, now they've found it on my records, maybe they'll actually do something with it sometime over the next decade!

I can also rest easy in the knowledge that when the tax return request gets to me it will have lots of encouragement to complete my tax return on-line coupled with dire warning that dead-tree tax returns are put to the back of the queue. Its a great pity that on-line filing doesn't recognise the non-resident forms isn't it! One day, the HMRC may actually practise some of the joined-up thinking we were promised back in 1997. What was the tag-line of the HMRC advert of a few years back: "Tax.... doesn't have to be taxing" Grrrrrrr!!!!

Next week, I'll take my Canadian tax papers into a local tax agent, sit down with him complete everything and walk out with my tax refund no more than an hour later. That's how a tax system should work, and please not that includes both federal and provincial tax codes; the UK tax system must surely have reached the point where any further increase in complexity will cost more to collect than it actually brings in - this is one area of the public economy that is just too large and cumbersome and should be cut down to size!

The UK Tax Code: more secure than high-grade crypto as its never yet been cracked - crypto's inherent weakness being that it has a key!

Off now for a lie-down in a darkened room and to take my medications :)