HMNB Devonport: New arrival

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by DarloRN, Jan 2, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Arriving at HMNB Devonport tomorrow and working the manning pool there.

Can somebody some direction where to go when I get inside the base? Accommodation is HMS Drake, but I've virtually have been given no direction what to do and where to go.

1) Where do I need to go to get to my accommodation sorted? ( I'm aware of the position of where HMS Drake is on base)

2) What is the building I need to report to for manning pool and where on base is it?

Thanks very much
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Have you not got a copy of your assignment order? Presumably you are not in receipt of a joining letter.

Report initially to the main gate, HMS Drake. You will be pointed in the correct direction thereafter.
  3. No I received instructions to join Devonport after Christmas and report to a CPO BENNETT. But that's it. No directions or where to go.

I suppose the best thing to do is follow your advice and just ask at the gate.

Thanks very much for the help.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

No worries, I'm sure Wiggy's whereabouts will become apparent upon arrival.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Final question. Can I get a personal opinion on the accommodation at HMS DRAKE. Be honest as you like.
  6. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

It was crap when I stayed there.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ninja_Stoker

It depends where you are accommodated. If you are in Single Living Accommodation it's top notch, but it costs more.

When you settle-in, you may well choose to live out in shared private rented housing if you are living in shared military accommodation. Either way, you won't be getting a single cabin afloat anytime soon.
  8. exJenny

I'll have you know I'm reading the forum in the comfort of my single ensuite cabin with a lovely view out over the poop deck.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Oh. Well that's a slight downer. Think it's probably best then to live out privately.

Thanks for the info!
  10. Is that exclusive to a rank? :)
  11. Ninja_Stoker

...and job/draft. RFA ratings can get their own cabins when serving afloat. ex-Jenny is serving in the RFA.
  12. Devonport - arrive at DRAKE main gate (which is not Camels Head Gate nor Albert Gate). The postcode is PL2 2BG
    and a map of where you are going can be found at!3m1!1s0x486c9304452e34bb:0xb9e6e83e6d3d7f76

I suggest you report to the Officer of the Watch on the gate, who will direct you to the JR accommodation. If you follow the link, the JR cabins are mainly in the building that looks like a figure 8 orientated SE-NW. You may be in transit accom, as DRAKE is wedged in all messes.

If you are joining the PSG/ESG/GSP etc, you should be reporting to Howard block (I think), which the gate will be able to point out, but the detail should be in your joining letter.

Have fun, and I suggest you don't arrive too late, as there is likely to be a bit of a faff with quite a few people joining for the first day of term. If you arrive late, you may get the sh1t pit!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Thank You! That certainly clears up a lot.

But can you clarify on transit accommodation.

Thank You!
  14. Beyond the fact people are staying in TV rooms, drying rooms etc etc, 4 lads in a 2 berth cabin, no, not really. I'd suggest you should be very pleasantly surprised if you get a single cabin SLA style.

It is recognised as pump by the way, no one is pretending otherwise.
  15. It depends on your opinion of service accommodation. It is fit for purpose - it's somewhere that you sleep at night, and where you keep your stuff. It'll be cheaper than living ashore but obviously has its limitations. If you're only there for a short time, the accom will be fine. If for a longer time consider a flat share with some mates. Wait till you get there and form your own opinion. And no, I will not describe the layout of the base here on the net for where you need to go. Ask at the main gate.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. I've stayed in Woolacombe (4 man rooms, with dividers between the bed spaces), Woolacombe annexe (single man room, but that's literally it), and Raleigh block (a 3 man room with all 3 beds next to each other, and a sink in the room too). I've had a look around Cunningham Fraiser and the other SLAM block next to it and they're huge rooms with ensuite, but you'll be paying oh so more for that if you get one. Personally, I prefer sharing a grot as its not just cheaper, but you can share ye cleaning / ironing load with each other and have someone to dit on with.

As for manning pools- you poor poor soul, I feel for you. You're basically on crap jobs detail that can be and will be doing any crap job (from moving tables from room to room or helping a ship store ammunition) that needs to be done. My advice is get out of the manning pool ASAP and get a proper draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. Manning Pool , is this modern parlance for Buffers Party ? , and Wiggy is the CBM ?.
  18. Kinda, just where the sick, lame and those without a ship, but are still fit enough to work are put. I was stuck in the drake one when I was drafted to a ship that had 3 AB SA's, but could only go to sea with 2 at a time, so you'd rotate round and be put in the manning pool for "harmony time" to do courses or take leave, but in reality you'd sit in the guardroom until jobbed off. I remember I was tasked to spend a week paint in the hoe in the height of summer in anticipation for the Americas Cup and then the next week I spent every day sat waiting to be asked to do something while sat reading a book, then the next week I was helping HMS Portland store ship before she went on BOST, even though I was HMS Sutherland's ships company.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    • Informative Informative x 2
  19. Well I've arrived. I won't say much about the accom. But thanks very much for the help!

Does anyone who's currently had Devonport, explain what internet I can use. All the ones I'm seeing seem to be private ones. No military DBI.
  20. exJenny

You're in Devon. Be grateful you've electrickery.
    • Funny Funny x 4