Hmmm. . .

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Trigger_92, Feb 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So, im looking through the pictures of HMS Raleigh, looking at what i'll be EVENTUALLY doing whenever i get my dates through and i come across this picture, I would quite like to draw your attention to the caption below the picture.

Linky.

Now for all the people that hate the youth of today etc and how we spell some things, what do you make of that ?

Is it a simple typo, or some retarded mong that cant spell ? 8O

2. I think it's supposed to be ironic. As in, the lads in the water are about 17 or 18 and they're supposed to be saying it, perhaps.

3. Perhaps, but all the rest of them are spelt properly :?

4. errrrrrrrrrrrrr you have a problem methinks..........oops spelt wrong

5. It's artistic licence aimed at injecting a little humour into the website.

The phrase "Wot no .......?" actually originates from some WW2 cartoons, the gap in the phrase being filled by some rationed item eg "Wot, no bread?".

It's not that the person who subtitled the Raleigh page can't spell. It's that they are drawing on an existing expression in English which they will have heard or seen, perhaps in a book. It's not uncommon to still see the phrase used jocularly in the press, although less and less often as the phrase goes out of usage.

It's unlikely that anyone under the age of say 35 will have heard of it, to be honest.

6. "Wot no .. " is a standard phrase (often used for graffiti) and is normally spelt that way, so it isn't actually a spelling mistake.

As in "Wot no scran???" or "Wot no standeasy??"

Edited to add - Bugger, Soleil just beat me to it!

7. Ah. i see, being under 35 i obviously wouldnt have known this ;)

8. Sol, I've sent you aPM.

9. Thanks Zbg have already replied!

10. Hi Triglet

It's just as Sol said and a "Wot No..........?" graffiti statement was usually written (In chalk -there were no spray cans/felt tipped pens in those days, young sir) below a sketch of a head looking over a wall.

The head being the person (Mr/Mrs/Ms) Chad:

[​IMG]

History may establish that Mr Chad went on to breed the dynasty now posing as 'Smileys'.

11. I'm under 35 and knew this...

Are we to assume that your lack of uppercase 'i's and the apostrophe missing from 'wouldn't' and 'can't' is ironic or that you too are a retarded mong with a poor grasp of the English language? :lol: :p

12. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

That's it girl, stick that high heeled boot into his nads.

13. Yes, I too am a retarded mong ;)

14. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

You told me that she wears "sensible shoes"

15. Heels - 4 or 5" preferably ;)

He was fibbing to you...

16. Wot, no outrage?

17. I was looking for a Captain!! For ages as well I hasten to add. Lol....

18. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

And she likes to torture people in her cellar. What more could you want?

19. I would have thought you'd have been looking for Biffin's Bridge :wink:

20. My dad told me Chad help to win the war, moral thing and he was all over the place.

I seem to recall he was used in a beer advert as well.

Yes i am over 35