HMCS/M Onondaga's preparations

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by AfterSSE, Jun 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. SHe's being prepared for her move to Rimouski Quebec (still can't believe Halifax can't do the same thing...).

She still looks fairly sea worthy and the insides look good...;P

http://www.bpsa-qc.ca/Submarine1.htm

2. Well frig, now what am I going to point out to the granddarlings? Somehow the CGS ships just don't do it for the little guy.

Going to miss seeing them as I cross the bridge.

3. Not having been an SSK man (I spent more time at sea on an FGS submarine in the Portland exercise areas) I can only imagine your despair and angst at what national governments do to these fine old ladies!

I did spend quite a few nights as duty watch on Grampus in Dolphin on sprogs course and used the rack with the main vent just above my groin area.
    As I have fond memories of Dolphin (alas no longer an operational submarine base) one of those memories is the smell of diesel. Remember I didn't spend long enough onboard to be nauseated by it.
    Whenever I bimble past a petrol station and catch a whiff of diesel the smell transports me straight back to a time when I could do anything and had the body to do just that! I get very nostalgic.

I have yet to encounter any place in civvy street that has a nuclear submarine sickly sweet smell about it. I wonder how I'll react when I do?

Sigh.......memories. It is said that the strongest memories are those that include smell. They are right!

4. Thanks for the link to the photos, brought back a few mwmories, especially as the dear old Oilypuss was may last boat.