HM Trawler Kent or Knot

Discussion in 'History' started by Cramond Brig, Aug 15, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Another test for your powerful brains from the Shetland Roll of Honour. A seaman[FONT=&quot] killed by magazine explosion on 5 November 1916. The Roll says HMT Kent (wrong, I suspect) and Commonwealth War Graves database says Knot[/FONT]
    Grateful for any information including what happened.

2. I'd lean towards the CWGC as we know what the roll author is like.

Sent via Heliograph from the Jebel Birkenhead
  3. HMT KNOT was a 168 ton trawler launched in 1903. She was requisitioned by the Admiralty in November 1914 and converted into a minesweeper but was lost on 5 November 1916 after being wrecked on the North Caer Rock off Fife Ness.
  4. That's very helpful, folks. Thank you. Now working on a Shetland lad who died on HMS Formidable - plenty information on the web about that sinking.

5. As an interesting aside, a few years ago there was another chap with an RR thread who was researching a person who it transpired had died on Formidable. Chaps Service certificate, ships records the lot. (bit nostalgic reading my own posts in their on my old username.)

Also, there is a published book regarding Formidable and the sinking.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  6. Thank you, Grim
  7. Pleasure. I love this sort of thing as it lets you learn things about people and subjects you wouldn't have known existed otherwise.

8. Two of this lad's brothers fell. One in hospital in London from wounds, the other on ss Pontypridd - not got to that yet.