HM Submarine Finwhale

In the 1960s a certain NAI (Phot) was aboard Finwhale to take a few publicity photographs over a couple of days.
However he found himself under the arctic ice for the following 5 weeks.
This is what he has written of his escapade;-
"Those lads were not like the ones in the subs today,
Finwhale was a diesel boat without showers. We used to alternate our no.8's week and week about without them being washed)The one thing that impressed me was the team-work and close comradeship amongst the crew. Never to be forgotten" No shower gel or facial wipes!

Darkershadeofblu said:
I wondered what the smell was when I looked around her in Dolphin back in the 70s!!
Well the smell might of been me!

I was on her from 1st July 1974 till 21st January 1976. A great boat and a great bunch of lads. Got my rate on there to A/LMEM as it used to be in them days.

:thumright: :thumright: :thumright:

Desmond said:
Darkershadeofblu said:
I wondered what the smell was when I looked around her in Dolphin back in the 70s!!

I was on her from 1st July 1974 till 21st January 1976. A great boat and a great bunch of lads. Got my rate on there to A/LMEM as it used to be in them days.

Desmond you only added to that which had been left by Nutty and Maxi

Nutty

Desmond said:
Darkershadeofblu said:

I thought he was referring to the young photographer bit of skin

buffersmate said:
In the 1960s a certain NAI (Phot) was aboard Finwhale to take a few publicity photographs over a couple of days.
Finwhale was a diesel boat without showers. We used to alternate our no.8's week and week about without them being washed)The one thing that impressed me was the team-work and close comradeship amongst the crew. Never to be forgotten" No shower gel or facial wipes!
That must have been a different FinBin to the one I was on!!
Jrs had two showers SRs had a shower and the Bun house had a shower. Admittedly there was never any water to them!!

Polycell said:
buffersmate said:
That must have been a different FinBin to the one I was on!!
Jrs had two showers SRs had a shower and the Bun house had a shower. Admittedly there was never any water to them!!
But I assume you had facial wipes and shower gel? Who needs water with those?
Going ashore it would be a case of " Give us a kiss you handsome sweet-smelling submariner" A rare treat for the girls of Pompey.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
skyvet Nautical Jokes 18
TonyN Nautical Jokes 2
M Submariners 83