HM Submarine A1

Saw that piece and A1 on the bottom,I noticed it is owned by a diver,strange that as he has retrieved artifacts from her, brass wheels,brass Bino's etc I thought they belonged to the Admiralty but as there was no-one lost I suppose the Salvage law is in effect.

A1

Saw that piece and A1 on the bottom,I noticed it is owned by a diver,strange that as he has retrieved artifacts from her, brass wheels,brass Bino's etc I thought they belonged to the Admiralty but as there was no-one lost I suppose the Salvage law is in effect.
Also saw that piece and was utterly disgusted!!! Am great grandson of submariner Albert Fleming CS on the A1 lost in 1904. Can't believe that the sub is not to be lifted as per Mary Rose and exhibited in RN sub museum in Gosport. Also disgusted at so called owner making money out of showing artifacts from sub at his musuem on the Isle of Wight. Charlie Boorman seemed upset at 'hidden treasure' at bottom of sea. Perhaps English Heritage should try to do something about raising her

Also saw that piece and was utterly :disgust:ed!!! Am great grandson of submariner Albert Fleming CS on the A1 lost in 1904. Can't believe that the sub is not to be lifted as per Mary Rose and exhibited in RN sub museum in Gosport. Also :disgust:ed at so called owner making money out of showing artifacts from sub at his musuem on the Isle of Wight. Charlie Boorman seemed upset at 'hidden treasure' at bottom of sea. Perhaps English Heritage should try to do something about raising her
This may be of interest:
English Heritage website said:
Discovery, Investigation and Artefacts

A local fisherman snagged the wreck by chance in 1989 and his contact with diver Martin Woodward led to its identification. The vessel was purchased by Mr Woodward from the Ministry of Defence in 1994 and he recovered the bronze conning tower hatch in an attempt to make the wreck less attractive to trophy-hunting sport divers. Mr Woodward also asked Chichester British Sub-Aqua Club (BSAC) divers to replace the forward hatch cover found open in 1997 by the Government’s archaeological contractor during their initial inspection.

The 'A1' was subsequently inspected twice and on both occasions progressive degradation of the wreck due to diver theft and vandalism was been noted. Mr Woodward knows the identity of one individual who had taken items from the wreck and is aware that other non-ferrous items removed were sold for scrap.
Don't be too hard on Martin Woodward, the museum owner. Far from profiteering, he has expended much personal time and effort in raising funds for the recovery, loving restoration and display of many artefacts which would otherwise have been lost forever. His museum is well worth a visit and the website, including contact details, is available here:I am sure he would be delighted to hear from you.

P.S. The RN Submarine Museum has had enough difficulty raising money to restore the Alliance without having to finance the recovery, restoration and display of yet another submarine. Sadly, our maritime heritage is not high among most people's priorities these days. Witness HMS Bronington, HMS Plymouth, etc.

P.S. The RN Submarine Museum has had enough difficulty raising money to restore the Alliance without having to finance the recovery, restoration and display of yet another submarine. Sadly, our maritime heritage is not high among most people's priorities these days. Witness HMS Bronington, HMS Plymouth, etc.
I appreciate that the RN submarine museum has problems in raising funds, however, this is not just ' another submarine', this is THE A1, made in britain

Not sure how old the phots are on that liknk NG but it should have effing great bits of angleline over the hatch. Well there was in 2000 when I bolted them on! Great dive we had to block it off as the authorities were getting concerned about scooby doos getting trapped in it. It was the days before GPS were as refined as they are now and we had to get the rough location then "ping" it with a Hondex. Bernie "L" was the 1nzy in charge and if memory serves me right I dived with Jim "L" (sounds like pinch you know who I mean)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
skyvet Nautical Jokes 18
TonyN Nautical Jokes 2
M Submariners 83