HM Submarine A1

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Seaweed, Aug 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

2. Saw that piece and A1 on the bottom,I noticed it is owned by a diver,strange that as he has retrieved artifacts from her, brass wheels,brass Bino's etc I thought they belonged to the Admiralty but as there was no-one lost I suppose the Salvage law is in effect.
  3. A1

Also saw that piece and was utterly disgusted!!! Am great grandson of submariner Albert Fleming CS on the A1 lost in 1904. Can't believe that the sub is not to be lifted as per Mary Rose and exhibited in RN sub museum in Gosport. Also disgusted at so called owner making money out of showing artifacts from sub at his musuem on the Isle of Wight. Charlie Boorman seemed upset at 'hidden treasure' at bottom of sea. Perhaps English Heritage should try to do something about raising her
  4. This may be of interest:
    Don't be too hard on Martin Woodward, the museum owner. Far from profiteering, he has expended much personal time and effort in raising funds for the recovery, loving restoration and display of many artefacts which would otherwise have been lost forever. His museum is well worth a visit and the website, including contact details, is available here:I am sure he would be delighted to hear from you.
  5. P.S. The RN Submarine Museum has had enough difficulty raising money to restore the Alliance without having to finance the recovery, restoration and display of yet another submarine. Sadly, our maritime heritage is not high among most people's priorities these days. Witness HMS Bronington, HMS Plymouth, etc.
  6. I appreciate that the RN submarine museum has problems in raising funds, however, this is not just ' another submarine', this is THE A1, made in britain
  7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

From memory I think you'll find that all RN Boats were made in Britain
  8. The first batch of H class were built in Canada, just to be pedantic.
  9. janner

Every days a skool day
  10. I'm just a sad anorak with an internet connection.
  11. janner

I thought that maybe JC was on leave and you were standing in for him
  12. It's normally the other way round.
  13. Not sure how old the phots are on that liknk NG but it should have effing great bits of angleline over the hatch. Well there was in 2000 when I bolted them on! Great dive we had to block it off as the authorities were getting concerned about scooby doos getting trapped in it. It was the days before GPS were as refined as they are now and we had to get the rough location then "ping" it with a Hondex. Bernie "L" was the 1nzy in charge and if memory serves me right I dived with Jim "L" (sounds like pinch you know who I mean)