HM Officer training

TheCommunicator

Lantern Swinger
I'm a bit puzzled by this.

I always thought the PWO is in charge of the ops room, just as the OOW is in charge of the bridge.

So, if there are only two PWO's on board, does that mean PWO's have to work one watch on, one watch off (as in defence stations six-on-six-off)?

Surely, working three watch cruising stations would mean that every ship needs a minimum of three PWO's?

When in cruising watches the PWOs don't keep watches, they will close up in the Ops Room for certain evolutions. Some may even keep the occasional watch on the bridge to keep their hand in and give the young'uns a night off!

SEP86

War Hero
And we wonder why we loose them before they become NOs ;)?!

I ran away to a small ship - I recall my Capt at the time asking me if I would be disappointed if I didn't become a NO as if I went small ship XO I would have to skip NO and go straight to PWO course after. I felt that keeping a straight face was appropriate rather than leaping for joy! (Bi
ut I would point out that I kept plenty of bridge watches as a PWO and more than usual these days as an XO too)

frogman007

War Hero
Sorry, I won't be back in work by then - I could've asked the HM Training Unit for the exact skinny.

I'll cast around, but HM is a bit of the RN that I don't have a huge amount of experience on. Have you tried the "wayback" website to look through the old RN websites?

You won't be back until April!?? **** me you orrificers know how to take the piss!

Magda

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I ran away to a small ship - I recall my Capt at the time asking me if I would be disappointed if I didn't become a NO as if I went small ship XO I would have to skip NO and go straight to PWO course after. I felt that keeping a straight face was appropriate rather than leaping for joy! (Bi
ut I would point out that I kept plenty of bridge watches as a PWO and more than usual these days as an XO too)

You lot aren't selling Warfare to us potential Officers very well :-o :-D

SEP86

War Hero
You lot aren't selling Warfare to us potential Officers very well :-o :-D

Perhaps my slightly tongue in cheek post lost its context - always a danger when typing. If you read the posts you will see it is Navigating that we are not selling. Some people (indeed good friends of mine) love it and consider it to be the cutting edge of warfare on water. I myself, as a PWO(C) prefer what most people consider to be the really boring area of getting ships to be able to interoperate and fight effectively together. To make it clear I enjoyed almost every minute of my time as an OOW, then prioritised being a small ship XO over being a NO (a no-brainer to me at the time and would do the same again), finished PWO course in 1998 and as a PWO have enjoyed my time as Frigate PWO, NATO Task Group Staff Warfare Officer, Amphib Task Group, Falklands HQ, SFOR HQ in Bosnia, PJHQ, FOST, Frigate XO and Navy HQ. All in specific warfare officers' jobs.

I wouldn't put anyone off of joining any branch of the Royal Navy - although not in the same posts, a Logistics Officer would have been able to enjoy employment in all of the places I mentioned above. Take in the info from here - add more than a pinch of salt and make up your own minds.

SEP86

War Hero
If you're put off that easily, then perhaps you're not cut out for it. Learning to listen to 3 things at once is a skill!

You forgot to add, while looking at at least 3 screens, and the rudder indicator so that you can shout 'Where are you going Officer of the Watch' when they go left instead of right!