Hiya folk, advice/tips please :D

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ant_H, Feb 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi folk, new around these parts!

Would just like to pick some brains and ask for advice/guidance from some of you out there who may be able to help, excuse me if there's been many questions before along the sames lines.

I'm a 23 year old male (soon turning 24) and over the past few months have been considering a RN career, reading up on the jobs/careers info and recently went down to Raleigh to see my mate pass out and since my graduation last summer.

After holding down two eng.jobs (CAD Designer on a years placement and since my graduation) i've come to the conclusion that civvy street just isn't for me anymore and i'm eager for a challenge and something that offers more variation. I'm tired of sitting infront of a screen Monday to Friday in the same box called an office and realising how much possibility is actually out there but doing nothing about it.

I have a degree in Engineering, although not part of the accredited list even though I have covered various aspects, and also A-levels (140+) & relevent GCSE's (A-C's in core subjects). Was interested in Air Fleet although would still be open for marine branch too, Am I correct in saying if the branch/trade isn't engineering related there is no 'specific' degree required?

Anyway, moving onwards, been down to the AFCO, filled in my details and the chap immediately started to talk about the chances of entering at officer level (although sounded a bit daunting at first after reading about the AIB but it's important to aim high!). To enter up a little higher is the path i'd like to take and also putting my qualifications to use if possible.

At the BRNC I understand the officer training lasts 9-12 months dependant on branch? In which you improve upon knowledge and leadership qualities so I trust it's a steady progression working with peers and not really thrown in the mixer at the deep end, hopefully leaving you prepared for action at the end of it?

Was curious too if the officer application didn't work out and decided to enter as able rating (isn't 24 little old?) would your progression in the force be entirely dependant upon the impression/effort you put in or would your qualifications be regarded giving you a little better chance of getting up the ladder that little quicker, obviously as long as the desire and effort is still present.

Cheers for your time guys, it's much appreciated.
  2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Fcuk me, you can waffle like a rupert.

welcome to RR
  3. Yeah he can Blobby but does he know which iron to buy!!!!
  4. Yeah, it is a fair chunk of waffle to be fair, just trying to get my situation across best I can.

Oh...and may I recommend the Philips GC8261 Steam Generator Iron, leaves shirts more straight than Chuck Norris.
  5. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Chuck Norris sucks dick
  6. At 24 you're still a spring chicken! By the time I get to Raleigh I will be 34 and I'm still only young :biggrin:
    Age is just a number, it's the attitude (and fitness) that counts.

Good luck with which ever path you choose.

7. Yeah, good point to be fair, it's just all these 16/17 year olds that I bumped into on my visit down to Raleigh, makes you feel like your getting on!.
    Luckily, fitness has never been an issue to worry about for me and still take time to maintain it.

What you going in to do KF? Entry date yet?

Does anyone have any rough ideas on the time span from filling in your officer candidate form for the AFCO to going down Dartmouth for the AIB?

8. AntH
    Go down the officer route. If you get it great, if not join as a rating continue your studies and try for officer from the lower deck.
    It is easier to join as an officer than to be promoted from the lower deck. having said that a great many officers have proved it to be possible.
  9. Cheers Slim.

Yeah i'll give the officer route my very best shot. Just feel like time is against you joining lower and having to wait longer to try and reach that higher level but it happens!

If candidates happen to fail at the AIB is it a 12 month waiting period before being able to re-apply again? Maybe I should start to worry if that bridge is ever crossed.
  10. It all depends which branch your applying for.

If your going for FAA (pilot, observer, Air Traffic Controller) then you are required to sit Flying Aptitude Tests at RAF Cranwell prior to being allocated a date for AIB (which is conducted at HMS Sultan in Gosport, not Dartmouth). I have posted about the FAA route many times in the AIB thread. Have a look there for information.

If i was in your situation i would go down the officer route, you have the qualifications (in fact with your degree you VERY qualified). If you were to apply as an officer you would start off as a Sub Lieutenant, and would be look at getting paid well over £20K a year!

I would apply for officer, if you don't have the qualities you will find out after AIB, in which case if you fail, go for Rating. Always aim high.
  11. Concur with the others AIB is the way to go, if you fail first time then you can still choose to reaply or follow the rating path. AFCO will be able to give you all the choices open to you and help you in your choice. As has been said else where, don't worry too much about wherher it is too daunting or not, after all there are a few of us here who did it all straight from school many years ago, and secondly they do not select you if they don't think you have what it takes.

Also you seem to have a sense of humour so you are half way there.
  12. Yeah nothing wrong with a bit of quality banter! :w00t:

I'm sure the officer training gets you up to speed with your chosen path even though there will still be areas to polish up on even after training has been completed.
    e.g someone who's not as high rank but has more knowledge in the area due to having more experience and time in the branch, this happen much?

I'll have a sweep through the AIB section on the forum with a fine toothcomb too, sure there's plenty of useful pointers knocking around in there.

Thanks for your time and views people, top titty.
  13. I would think long and hard before you join up. It's not all a bed of roses. The Officer route is the better of the two because you get to stay in the MOB until you are 55 and the pension should you reach Lt Cdr is worth about £20K. If you join as a rating you will probably have to leave at 40 and the pension isn't as good. I personally wouldn't recommend joining up. If you join as an Engineering officer you will very rarely have any hands on jobs, it will be all management. You're opinion won't be valued until you are at least a Cdr.

The Navy has gone through a lot of changes recently and none of the changes were put to the ratings before hand, so if you enjoy having no say about pay and conditions then this is the job for you. Just bear in mind that the navy isn't a democracy and you will never have any say on any changes they want to impose on you.

These are just a few more thoughts for you to digest.
  14. I agree that following the direct entry route is better if you aspire to being an officer but since the introduction of the three-tier commission, RN officers join for an initial commission of 12 years. Second and third 'extensions' are dependent on selection which takes into account actual or recommended promotion.

In accordance with the 'small fish in a small pond' principle, your responsibilities will be higher and your opinion will be valued earlier than Cdr if you serve in smaller ships and submarines or the Fleet Air Arm. The same applies to Warrant Officers and Senior Rates. For example, some URNU patrol craft are commanded by Lts and distant-deploying Hunt and Sandown Class minehunters are commanded by Lt Cdrs. Below flag rank (Admiral) or Commodore's rank, 'Command' is the pinnacle of job-satisfaction for Warfare Officers just as 'Charge' is the pinnacle for Engineers, Loggies (Logistics Officers) and Droggies (Hydrographers).
  15. I'm joining the Hydrographic branch. It was Hydrographic and Meteorological but my AFCO just advised me they will be demerging soon. All being well I imagine I will be at Raleigh this time next year, I am just waiting on the doctors to give the green light which seems to be taking longer than expected!
  16. "I agree that following the direct entry route is better if you aspire to being an officer but since the introduction of the three-tier commission, RN officers join for an initial commission of 12 years. Second and third 'extensions' are dependent on selection which takes into account actual or recommended promotion."

do you mean that you have to pass selection in order to extend your commission for longer than the initial 12 years?
  17. I joined at 24 and look where it got me! Ah, no, fcuk, hang on........
  18. That's about the size of it. A 'job for life' is an exceedingly rare commodity these days. The shape and structure of the officers' pyramid has to be maintained and there are no short-service commission SL (Supplementary List) officers to bulk out the lower ranks any more; everyone who joins is now put on the same 'List'. So, unless enough officers decide to walk away from the RN at their break points, there has to be a graduated 'cull' based on personal appraisals that include senior officers' recommendations for promotion/longer service. That said, certain officers may choose to leave while they are still young enough to maximise their chances of a fruitful second career in civilian life.
  19. is that the same with all three services?
  20. Hi Ant et al,

First post here et al. I'm in a remarkably similar situation to you - 23, graduate in a non-specific aviation subject from a university in whippet country. Was on the university air squadron, got turned down for RAF but invited to reapply, ...<cuts out life story>...and now i'm thinking about applying to the fleet air arm, as a pilot. I've already sat and passed the aptitude tests for RAF Pilot, and have sat them twice - does this have any bearing on FAT's?

Have been invited to a presentation at Leeds AFCO next month, am hoping to find out more information then.