Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HIV in India

Radio 4 and a very interesting programme about the HIV situation in India. Homosexuality being illegal in India makes treatment of some sufferers problematic as people are frightened or ashamed to come forward. No mention of the spread through blood transfusions. No Bollywood treatment of this (un)romantic subject . A DfID funded world service programme is the only dramatised treatment of the topic.
 

Skanza

Midshipman
There was a survey taken and 70% or something close of men between 16-50 had sexual intercourse with other men.
 
golden_rivet said:
Radio 4 and a very interesting programme about the HIV situation in India. Homosexuality being illegal in India makes treatment of some sufferers problematic as people are frightened or ashamed to come forward. No mention of the spread through blood transfusions. No Bollywood treatment of this (un)romantic subject . A DfID funded world service programme is the only dramatised treatment of the topic.

The criminalisation of homosexuality in India is currently under review as attitudes are changing, and if they are serious about preventing an epidemic which will do as much harm to their economy as AIDS has caused throughout Africa, they will act sooner rather than later.

There is probably also a hidden problem in Moslim countries, particularly those operating Sharia law - where HIV and AIDS are likely to become endemic due to the whole taboo about public discussion of anything sexual and the application of anything from the death penalty to imprisonment for adultery and homosexuality - it varies with different countries.
 

Clouseau

Banned
Always_a_Civvy said:
<SNIP>

There is probably also a hidden problem in Moslim countries, particularly those operating Sharia law - where HIV and AIDS are likely to become endemic due to the whole taboo about public discussion of anything sexual and the application of anything from the death penalty to imprisonment for adultery and homosexuality - it varies with different countries.

Hmmm...... I hesitate to say this but..... I can see a possible solution to a larger problem there........

I know I know. I'm really bad.
 
I used to know a guy who worked in Zimbabwe before our government finally fell out with Mugabe. He told how HIV was non existant there until the Health Minister died from Aids.

I used to find Indian culture very 'Victorian' it all happened but no one ever spoke about it or acknowledged it wqas happening. The problem is that they are people just like us and do the very same things we do. It used to be the case that you could not get a work permit without an aids test, but tourist visas were sold to any one who wanted one and certain parts of India are very popular with tourists, and of course the locals will provide the required facilities for these tourists to help them spend their hard currency. So th original Indian idea of a 'fortress against aids was doomed.

The real problem is that endemic aids in India will make Africa look like a minor outbreak, remeber the Indian population currently is the same as China give or take the odd million.

Peter
 

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
andym said:
Ah well,wont be long before they troll up on our shores looking for free treatment!!!

Although, given the way the "NICE" is behaving over its approval for drugs for use in England, they'd be far better off heading North of the border!
 
FlagWagger said:
andym said:
Ah well,wont be long before they troll up on our shores looking for free treatment!!!

Although, given the way the "NICE" is behaving over its approval for drugs for use in England, they'd be far better off heading North of the border!



At the moment'North of the border ' its the vogue to go to France and pay for treatment and then come back and sue the relevant NHS for the cost of expenses incurred -------it seems to have the desired effect with waiting lists anyway!!
 
Clouseau said:
Always_a_Civvy said:
<SNIP>

There is probably also a hidden problem in Moslim countries, particularly those operating Sharia law - where HIV and AIDS are likely to become endemic due to the whole taboo about public discussion of anything sexual and the application of anything from the death penalty to imprisonment for adultery and homosexuality - it varies with different countries.

Hmmm...... I hesitate to say this but..... I can see a possible solution to a larger problem there........

I know I know. I'm really bad.

you are naughty Inspector - however - one of the (many) theories about the origins of 'British economic supremacy' goes right back to the plagues of yore ... (to cut a very long story short) ... according to this theory a reduction in the population enabled the survivorsn to command higher wages as a result of the shortage of manpower ...
 
golden_rivet said:
Clouseau said:
Always_a_Civvy said:
<SNIP>

There is probably also a hidden problem in Moslim countries, particularly those operating Sharia law - where HIV and AIDS are likely to become endemic due to the whole taboo about public discussion of anything sexual and the application of anything from the death penalty to imprisonment for adultery and homosexuality - it varies with different countries.

Hmmm...... I hesitate to say this but..... I can see a possible solution to a larger problem there........

I know I know. I'm really bad.

you are naughty Inspector - however - one of the (many) theories about the origins of 'British economic supremacy' goes right back to the plagues of yore ... (to cut a very long story short) ... according to this theory a reduction in the population enabled the survivorsn to command higher wages as a result of the shortage of manpower ...

The only problem with that is the 'Black Death' affected all of Europe. A better theory was that it was all down to the Dutch and the civil war. Firstly Charly Boy having dificult getting any new taxes out of Paliament revised the tax colection system so that he actually got the tax money rather than most of it sticking to other peoples fingers, then after they had chopped his head of Parliament used this new efficient tax collecting system to encourage trade and commerce in the Dutch style, result big effective RN, with mastery of the seas, allowing Britain to extract wealth from a rapidly growing empire.

Peter
 

slim

War Hero
In the 60s it was reported that the duty LH at a certain wafu training establishment found two Indian sailors in bed with one another. The Duty officer was informed who called out one of the Indian officers who investigated. The outcome was that the Indian officer stated that there was not a problem as these two men "were very good friends". Very enlightened thinking for those times
 
golden_rivet said:
Clouseau said:
Always_a_Civvy said:
<SNIP>

There is probably also a hidden problem in Moslim countries, particularly those operating Sharia law - where HIV and AIDS are likely to become endemic due to the whole taboo about public discussion of anything sexual and the application of anything from the death penalty to imprisonment for adultery and homosexuality - it varies with different countries.

Hmmm...... I hesitate to say this but..... I can see a possible solution to a larger problem there........

I know I know. I'm really bad.

you are naughty Inspector - however - one of the (many) theories about the origins of 'British economic supremacy' goes right back to the plagues of yore ... (to cut a very long story short) ... according to this theory a reduction in the population enabled the survivors to command higher wages as a result of the shortage of manpower ...

They were only able to apply the rules of supply-and-demand for a brief period before the the law was changed forcing the wages down to what they had been in the days before the Black Death. This was ruthlessly (and bloodily) enforced. England's political and economic history makes fascinating reading... and leaves you even more cynical than when you started.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS New HIV diagnoses in gay and bisexual men at their lowest in 20 years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HIV drug PrEP to be available across England MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HIV in the UK: towards zero HIV transmissions by 2030 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New HIV diagnoses fall by a third in the UK since 2015 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: AIDSfree appeal: Government joins campaign to fight HIV and AIDS MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: HIV diagnoses continue to fall as UK exceeds UNAIDS target MoD News 0
slim New strain of HIV from gorillas found in woman from Cameroon Diamond Lil's 13
Bergen HIV+ Matelot Chaplain Forcibly Sodomises Air Force Colonel Diamond Lil's 14
MoD_RSS Clive of India’s Durbar set at risk of export MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Change of British High Commissioner to India: Alex Ellis MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK and India to accelerate collaboration on vaccines to prevent future pandemics MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Foreign Secretary sets out ambition for closer relationship with India MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary's statement during visit to India: Tuesday 15 December MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Boris Johnson to visit India to boost jobs and prosperity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Former High Commissioner reaffirms close UK-India ties at high level summit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK in India: Pledge for Progress MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK and India agree to strengthen economic relationship to boost jobs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Your chance to be the British High Commissioner to India MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK launches £3 million innovation challenge fund in India MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New UK-India med-tech programme to fight COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Joint Statement of the 14th Meeting of the India-UK Joint Economic and Trade Committee MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK and India join forces on new £8 million research MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Kolkata official briefs Her Majesty The Queen on UK-India COVID collaboration MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK and India agree to deeper trading relationship MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK and India agree deeper trading relationship at cabinet level summit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Cabinet Ministers out in force to endorse India ties MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary speech at India Global Week MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sir Philip Barton presents credentials as British High Commissioner to India MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Alan Gemmell OBE appointed British Deputy High Commissioner for Western India MoD News 0
MoD_RSS India joins UK’s global vaccine mission MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK announces more flights to bring stranded Brits home from India MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fifth round of charter flights from India announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Thousands more Britons to return to UK on new India charter flights MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 17 more charter flights from India to return thousands of stranded Brits MoD News 0
MoD_RSS India charter flights to return thousands more stranded Brits MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK announces first charter flights from India to bring British nationals home MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Important information for British nationals departing India MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COVID-19: consular FAQs by British nationals in India MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK becomes co-chair of India-led global climate initiative MoD News 0
MoD_RSS FCO press release: Change of British High Commissioner to India - Spring 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prince of Wales concludes tenth official visit to India MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prince of Wales embarks on tenth official visit to India MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prince of Wales embarks on tenth official visit to India MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lord Ahmad of Wimbledon visits India to strengthen UK-India Force for Good links MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Joint Statement of the 13th Meeting of the India-UK Joint Economic and Trade Committee, 15 July 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS An electric partnership: UK e-mobility delegation visits India MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK and India leaders celebrate strong financial ties MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM India Day speech: 16 July 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dr Liam Fox: India Day speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New boost for UK and India’s startup sectors MoD News 0
Similar threads


















































Top