History of Royal Navy uniforms

Discussion in 'History' started by Ooga_Booga, Nov 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've gotta do a presentation on the history of royal navy uniforms for my FME at raliegh.

Such a fun, interesting subject i know....

Anywho, if anyone has some old pictures of uniforms i could use in the presentation or any suggestuions it would be muchly appreciated!

2. each item on the "square rig" has it's own history probably easiest to identify each one and it's own particular history......
    don't know much about the officer's uniform, but I guess there is much the same evolution to it.....
    Some of the the history behind the bits an pieces are quite intresting...... but does'nt make for a long presentation.

3. Try the National Maritime Museum. They will probably have a few photos you could download.

4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

At a guess the last pic is the old "Balls in hand, chance of a lifetime" evolution. Hoisting the sea boat by hand.

5. Good pic's Andy , top one makes them look like a bunch of thugs , would'nt like to meet them in a dark alley ,

6. Looks like things ain't changed much then? :lol:

7. Pay a visit here too for some variations.... The old gym kit and Dhobeying kit pics might interest you.

8. A few more.

[​IMG]

'ere Smudger,'it it 'arder!

[​IMG]

take 2 Aspirin and back to duty tomorrow,its only a flesh wound!

[​IMG]

Some "real" Stokers!

[​IMG]

Cadets of HMS Brittania circa 1890's

[​IMG]

Crew members of HMS Eland.Note the Jaunty cap angles and non regulation wearing of cap with ribbon to forrad!Just like in the Filums!

[​IMG]

Bootnecks 1900

[​IMG]

Naval Brigade in Constantinople.

[​IMG]

Bugger!Missed a bit!

[​IMG]

More Booties with a new toy!

[​IMG]

RN smoking Circle 1898

[​IMG]

Re the Smoking Circle.

We are looking at Jack and Joe off duty : at a group of bluejackets and marines enjoying a few leisure moments after hard work. Smoking on board ship is nowadays permitted, with a few reasonable restrictions, but it was not always so. Once upon a time the rules in force in the Service against smoking on board drove the men to indulge the habit in dangerous places and out of the way corners, causing a real risk from fire to the safety of the ship and the lives of all on board. Nowadays, common sense regulations prevail and smoking is not considered a "crime".

9. Interesting Andy... I've got this one on a glass "lantern" slide. The slide itself is dated circa 1910.

[​IMG]

10. The image is circa 1902.I found it interesting that one has no footwear and a nice clean pair of trousers.Must have taken him ages to get them clean.Also the sennit hats worn by matelots in some of the pics,didnt realise they were still in use untill 1921!

11. Scrubbing brush and pusser's hard... just like your days at Raleigh Andy... I wonder if Rosie and Jenny_D were allowed to wear T-shirts or had to go bare-chested with the blokes?... :? :wink: :lol:

[​IMG]

12. Aslo did you know that the Cap Tally Officialy came into being in 1857,although they were common place since the 1840's.

13. The Sennet hats were in use later. I have a friend who I was in the ICDDS with, who was a boy at the G-Place in 1925 - and they apparently wore sennet hats then on special occassions.

14. Ta muchly for all the help, will be useful!