History of Royal Navy uniforms

I've gotta do a presentation on the history of royal navy uniforms for my FME at raliegh.

Such a fun, interesting subject i know....

Anywho, if anyone has some old pictures of uniforms i could use in the presentation or any suggestuions it would be muchly appreciated!

jesse650

War Hero
each item on the "square rig" has it's own history probably easiest to identify each one and it's own particular history......
don't know much about the officer's uniform, but I guess there is much the same evolution to it.....
Some of the the history behind the bits an pieces are quite intresting...... but does'nt make for a long presentation.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
At a guess the last pic is the old "Balls in hand, chance of a lifetime" evolution. Hoisting the sea boat by hand.

dondon

MIA
Good pic's Andy , top one makes them look like a bunch of thugs , would'nt like to meet them in a dark alley ,

Ooga_Booga said:
I've gotta do a presentation on the history of royal navy uniforms for my FME at raliegh.

Such a fun, interesting subject i know....

Anywho, if anyone has some old pictures of uniforms i could use in the presentation or any suggestuions it would be muchly appreciated!
Pay a visit here too for some variations.... The old gym kit and Dhobeying kit pics might interest you.

andym

War Hero
A few more.

'ere Smudger,'it it 'arder!

take 2 Aspirin and back to duty tomorrow,its only a flesh wound!

Some "real" Stokers!

Cadets of HMS Brittania circa 1890's

Crew members of HMS Eland.Note the Jaunty cap angles and non regulation wearing of cap with ribbon to forrad!Just like in the Filums!

Bootnecks 1900

Naval Brigade in Constantinople.

Bugger!Missed a bit!

More Booties with a new toy!

RN smoking Circle 1898

Re the Smoking Circle.

We are looking at Jack and Joe off duty : at a group of bluejackets and marines enjoying a few leisure moments after hard work. Smoking on board ship is nowadays permitted, with a few reasonable restrictions, but it was not always so. Once upon a time the rules in force in the Service against smoking on board drove the men to indulge the habit in dangerous places and out of the way corners, causing a real risk from fire to the safety of the ship and the lives of all on board. Nowadays, common sense regulations prevail and smoking is not considered a "crime".

andym

War Hero
The image is circa 1902.I found it interesting that one has no footwear and a nice clean pair of trousers.Must have taken him ages to get them clean.Also the sennit hats worn by matelots in some of the pics,didnt realise they were still in use untill 1921!

andym said:
The image is circa 1902.I found it interesting that one has no footwear and a nice clean pair of trousers.Must have taken him ages to get them clean.
Scrubbing brush and pusser's hard... just like your days at Raleigh Andy... I wonder if Rosie and Jenny_D were allowed to wear T-shirts or had to go bare-chested with the blokes?... :? :wink: :lol:

andym

War Hero
Aslo did you know that the Cap Tally Officialy came into being in 1857,although they were common place since the 1840's.

andym said:
The image is circa 1902.I found it interesting that one has no footwear and a nice clean pair of trousers.Must have taken him ages to get them clean.Also the sennit hats worn by matelots in some of the pics,didnt realise they were still in use untill 1921!
The Sennet hats were in use later. I have a friend who I was in the ICDDS with, who was a boy at the G-Place in 1925 - and they apparently wore sennet hats then on special occassions.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B One of the greatest defeat in the history of the Royal Navy History 10
soleil T'graph: Royal Navy consigns tiffs to history after 141 yrs Current Affairs 19
S Royal Navy History Book??? History 13
Fat_Matelot History of Ranks in the Royal Navy History 16
E "Naval History" The Peacekeepers: The Royal Navy History 0
soleil FB: "Whittall Division Are Making History At Britannia Royal Naval College" Bases / Shore Est 4
G Joining the Royal Marines with a history of depression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Royal Naval History and famous words by Duke of Wellington History 21
finknottle Royal Marine pair to make history in canoe race The Corps 4
M Royal Marines History RMR 5
P A History of Royal Naval Air Traffic Control The Fleet Air Arm 12
Chicogiz ROYAL MARINES HISTORY QUIZ - MAY BE ASKED IN INTERVIEW The Corps 10
MoD_RSS The Prime Minister has appointed Harris Bokhari and Yadvinder Malhi as Trustees of the Natural History Museum. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS From Parliament to Pembrokeshire: Welsh Secretary to answer Welsh Questions from Wales for first time in history MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Health Secretary launches biggest diagnostic lab network in British history to test for coronavirus MoD News 0
H History of depression Joining the Royal Navy 4
MoD_RSS 100 years of maritime history and opportunities for 2020 MoD News 0
soleil Tw: HMNB Portsmouth - Burns Night - Sub-Lieutenant Ian Copland Explains Its History & The RN's Participation The Fleet 2
MoD_RSS London model ship builder helps chart the course of Qatar’s history MoD News 0
Stirlin The Troubles....a secret history. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 1
MoD_RSS Government and UK CAA launches largest repatriation in peacetime history after collapse of Thomas Cook MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER The (maybe!) final days of Brexit - a pictorial history. Diamond Lil's 40
Naval_Gazer A New Trilogy of Minewarfare History The Book Club 0
MoD_RSS History made as final fuel leaves iconic nuclear plant MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Natural History Museum assina parceria com Museu Nacional MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK crowd-sourced history campaign marks 50 years since the first Moon landings MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Grant to make Hull Minster a hub for city’s history, heritage and community MoD News 0
S History of Communications branch within the SM service History 21
MoD_RSS News story: David Mundell celebrates LGBT History Month MoD News 0
higthepig This may be interesting..............This day in History. The Quarterdeck 88
X History of Jervis Block, HMS Nelson History 30
MoD_RSS News story: Your chance to question Ministry of Defence medals and records experts at Family History Shows MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Natural History Museum Reappointments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Natural History Museum Reappointment MoD News 0
Sumo History of Plymouth History 4
MoD_RSS Speech: The Potential for the First Free and Fair Elections in DRC History MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: The Potential for the First Free and Fair Elections in DRC History MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Army start biggest military robot exercise in British history, Defence Secretary announces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: HS2 begins archaeology work exploring over 10,000 years of British history MoD News 0
themuddyduck No Medical History in the UK and A Surgery Abroad? Joining the Royal Navy 6
soleil Lockheed Martin: "F-35 Completes Most Comprehensive Flight Test Program in Aviation History" The Fleet Air Arm 0
Sumo Bit of old history from a brave man History 2
C A little bit of lesser known history Bases / Shore Est 4
J Euryalus History History 14
L Medical history from a foreign country Joining the Royal Navy 14
MoD_RSS News story: Your chance to question Ministry of Defence medals and records experts at Family History Shows MoD News 0
I Question of whether I would be accepted due to drug use in medical history? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
M Clearing up medical history Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
SARKING Secret History HMS Glorious History 1
MoD_RSS News story: History of MOD in space MoD News 0