History of Jervis Block, HMS Nelson

Stirlin

War Hero
Those of you that stayed in Jervis in the 70's, was it just the one block or were the other two still standing at that time. I think they were demolished at some point in the 70's.
The other 2 were behind the 'new' galley dining hall/ Victory Club built 1970 , no idea when they were dropped.

Wightsparker

War Hero
I stayed in one of the now demolished blocks in, I think, October 1962 on a visit to Portsmouth with the naval section of my school CCF. We were told the building had been damaged by a WW2 German bomb. We were accommodated on the top floor - the ceiling was still basically a tarpaulin. At the time the establishment was called HMS Victory Barracks; it is now, of course, HMS Nelson.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Most people in the Navy can't climb a rope!/QUOTE]

Well, as the accommodation was on the first floor and the rope was therefore hanging down, not a lot of climbing would have been required!!

Red raw palms on the other hand (mixed metaphor perhaps, but you know what I mean - stand fast Sumo ;))

xshipwreckx

Midshipman
I stayed in one of the now demolished blocks in, I think, October 1962 on a visit to Portsmouth with the naval section of my school CCF. We were told the building had been damaged by a WW2 German bomb. We were accommodated on the top floor - the ceiling was still basically a tarpaulin. At the time the establishment was called HMS Victory Barracks; it is now, of course, HMS Nelson.
Wow, tarpaulin still on the ceiling! It doesn't surprise me though! :D We have a map of where the bombs landed within the Naval base and there was one labelled on Jervis block, so that's nice to have confirmation. Thank you for your input!

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I'm not surprised it is still standing - it was built like a brick..... outhouse! There were a lot of 'weird' little offices and 'dens' around there. The old RN boxing gym was around there as, was the Regulator's Mess - as far as possible from decent people.

I also recall (I think) briefly the old railway line. Pompey Market used to be held on the roadway outside the barracks - probably Unicorn Road.

xshipwreckx

Midshipman
I'm not surprised it is still standing - it was built like a brick..... outhouse! There were a lot of 'weird' little offices and 'dens' around there. The old RN boxing gym was around there as, was the Regulator's Mess - as far as possible from decent people.

I also recall (I think) briefly the old railway line. Pompey Market used to be held on the roadway outside the barracks - probably Unicorn Road.
Thank you for that, did make me chuckle! TBH the building is quite tired now, but hopefully will stay standing. There are all sorts of rumours of it being re-purposed or demolished.....time and money will tell!

barny006

War Hero
Slept in there during DED on HMS Whitby, friggin cold double metal bunks 'G' members near the coal fire, UA's furthest away and coldest.

xshipwreckx

Midshipman
Slept in there during DED on HMS Whitby, friggin cold double metal bunks 'G' members near the coal fire, UA's furthest away and coldest.
That's amazing, really hard to imagine having a coal fire in your messdeck these days! Late 60's early 70's I presume?
Thank you for your comment!

bollotom

War Hero
That's amazing, really hard to imagine having a coal fire in your messdeck these days! Late 60's early 70's I presume?
Thank you for your comment!
Also Drake and Cochrane had them, Trevol down at Raleigh and Ariel at Worthy Down, though that was in the 50s. Great fun trying to get the buggers to glow white with the heat.Can't remember who delivered the fuel.
At Viccie Barracks I was first on the left past the main gate on Queens Road in 1963.

Latest Threads