History of Jervis Block, HMS Nelson

xshipwreckx

Midshipman
Currently working in Jervis Block and want to put together a history notice board of the building. Believe we have much of the basics, but would love to hear from anyone who may have further info.

Particularly anyone who stayed in the accommodation when it was in use or worked in the building a long time ago.
Rumours, stories, pictures, memorable characters, deaths.......anything really!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

(Jervis block was built in 1899 for accommodation in the RN Barracks Portsmouth. Located near Unicorn gate area. It is now used as offices).

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
I am fairly sure I stayed in there in 72 - Puma was decommissioned for scrap ( to make way for Mermaid) and a number of us were transferred to other ships (me to Exmouth) and we stayed on the top floor while our ships got back to harbour

The fire escape was a rope attached to the deckhead (ceiling) - you threw the end out of the window and climbed down

And the Sweet was on at the Victory club...........................................

Stirlin

War Hero
Early 70's it was home to slops on the first floor , ground floor was the tailor who was disabled but turned out far better stuff than the Naval Jailors across the road from Nelson , made me a No1 suit after my issue one was damaged and was really good value and quality. Stayed in the accom' when I came out of DQ's in 74 for about a week but memory is sketchy on that period. Not surprised it is still standing.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
As I recall the entire Ship's Company off Antrim stayed there, possibly while Exocet was being fitted. It was vast and FREEZING. There must have been literally 4 or 500 bunks in there down both sides (and in the centre?) - sadly, the baths and showers were down the stairs in a 'room' outside! It was mandatory to have 'acquired' a bath-plug if a bath was required - soggy toilet paper only lasted so long..........

I may have the dates wrong but we most DEFINITELY were in there at some stage!

That would have been about winter 73, as I recatted to Collingrad in 74.

Wightsparker

War Hero
I suspect Jervis Block was also the closest to the old railway line which provided direct access to the dockyard from what is now Portsmouth and Southsea station.

xshipwreckx

Midshipman
I am fairly sure I stayed in there in 72 - Puma was decommissioned for scrap ( to make way for Mermaid) and a number of us were transferred to other ships (me to Exmouth) and we stayed on the top floor while our ships got back to harbour

The fire escape was a rope attached to the deckhead (ceiling) - you threw the end out of the window and climbed down

And the Sweet was on at the Victory club...........................................
Most people in the Navy can't climb a rope! :D (I would've bit the bullet!) There are false ceilings in the building now, but I bet the eye bolts for those ropes are still in place.

Thank you for your info!!

xshipwreckx

Midshipman
Early 70's it was home to slops on the first floor , ground floor was the tailor who was disabled but turned out far better stuff than the Naval Jailors across the road from Nelson , made me a No1 suit after my issue one was damaged and was really good value and quality. Stayed in the accom' when I came out of DQ's in 74 for about a week but memory is sketchy on that period. Not surprised it is still standing.
Thank you, we didn't realise stores and the tailor was in this block back then!
I think the future of Jervis Block hangs in the balance........

xshipwreckx

Midshipman
As I recall the entire Ship's Company off Antrim stayed there, possibly while Exocet was being fitted. It was vast and FREEZING. There must have been literally 4 or 500 bunks in there down both sides (and in the centre?) - sadly, the baths and showers were down the stairs in a 'room' outside! It was mandatory to have 'acquired' a bath-plug if a bath was required - soggy toilet paper only lasted so long..........

I may have the dates wrong but we most DEFINITELY were in there at some stage!

That would have been about winter 73, as I recatted to Collingrad in 74.
We were talking about how cold the accommodation must've been! (It's not much warmer as offices!) But we assumed the bathroom facilities were at least inside!! :eek: So I am now picturing something out of bad lads army with all the bunks! Luxury!!

Thanks you!

xshipwreckx

Midshipman
I suspect Jervis Block was also the closest to the old railway line which provided direct access to the dockyard from what is now Portsmouth and Southsea station.
Thank you for this info, we were discussing the old railway line on Monday, so very useful! Thank you!

xshipwreckx

Midshipman
Those of you that stayed in Jervis in the 70's, was it just the one block or were the other two still standing at that time. I think they were demolished at some point in the 70's.

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Most people in the Navy can't climb a rope! :D (I would've bit the bullet!) There are false ceilings in the building now, but I bet the eye bolts for those ropes are still in place.

Thank you for your info!!
I think you'll find that most people in the Navy can climb a rope as it's part of your initial training.

Latest Threads