History of damage control and fire fighting (and 1982)

Third DC party Midships Type 42 Workshop,Chilled water and Computer do not mix ,piss poor AWD. All essential supplies running down either side of the ship. poor flood boundary control especially where power cables pass through water tight sections and the toxic fumes from them.just a few for starters.

Can anyone help please?

Looks like I'm a bit behind the curve on this one, but I'd be grateful for any info on the latest portable DC and F/F equipment that's out there. I'm ex RN and a former NBCDQ but left in 2003 so more than a little out of date. I'm now involved in a project that may require a limited amount of portable DC/FF equipment that can be stowed in one or two 20' containers.
I suspect that a lot of the old kit is still used (to be fair, most of the kit was pretty good and the best available at the time) but would appreciate an update on the latest F/F and in particular, DC equipment, that has replaced the less user-friendly kit, especially pumps.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may be able to give.

Let’s see- ff/ww brass nozzles and size 2 hoses still in use apart from on the QE, she uses a multipurpose nozzle and size 1 hoses instead.
Grp domes and strongbacks check
Still use weda pumps and the one with the tiger tail (sorry it’s 9am on a Sunday I’m hung over and it’s name escapes me at the moment).
Still use emms clamps. ELSAs have been replaced with EEBD (Emergency Escape Breathing Device), a rebreather instead of fresh air.
Still use gunter batons. IBO boards have been replaced with computers on the QE, I know the 45s have some Gucci system also but I don’t know what. EDBAs have a new back plate and mask. The Ramfan has been upgraded to an electronic portable fan that’s much lighter and has no trunking (imagine a giant desktop fan). We use 9ltr AFFF and Dry Powder, along with smaller CO2 extinguishers and the chefs have what’s called a Fry-Fighter for the fryers in the galley. A smaller one piece TIC that can be held one handed. The fearnought suits are gone replaced with PBI Gold (actual fire fighters uniforms) and the helmet has built in comms. Anything else?

Note: I’m not a Q qualified rating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
During the 90s I was taught to boundary cool using buckets , rags and dustpans. That was on a carrier. I guess some of the Fosties had a certain way they wanted things done and that was how it will be done, regardless of platform size.

That was when Fost was all big nasty shouty type training. How times change.

During the 90s I was taught to boundary cool using buckets , rags and dustpans. That was on a carrier. I guess some of the Fosties had a certain way they wanted things done and that was how it will be done, regardless of platform size.

That was when Fost was all big nasty shouty type training. How times change.
We still get told to do that if we don’t have access to a CFHR- you need a controllable source of water.

Thanks guys,
Seems like very little has changed and that's no bad thing. I'd be interested to know if there has been a replacement for the Rover pump, and if so, what the spec is, please.

Thanks again

That the pump for if the firemain looses pressure so you can still firefight? If so, 23’s use a Godiva (well the Sutherland had one in 2013 anyway).

Had one ( Rover Gas Turbine fire pump) on the Leander I was on in the early 70's. When alongside, it was flashed up daily by the duty watch. I always found it reliable but have no experience as to how it performed in a a Damage Control situation where continuous running was required.

If the chain snapped whilst winding a Rover Gas Turbine up to speed it could be likened to receiving an Irish Whip from Mick McManus.
Was the rover the so called 2 man lift? only if both men were recent field gunners or rugby plays, other fit bod available. not sure why I was always called on for that exercise?

I did the submariner 5 day fire fighting course at Raleigh a number of years ago, when they still made proper fires, not gas fires. While there, we had a play in Havoc. The instructor could not get his head round our lack of DC equipment on boats. Or pre-wetting for that matter.