History not your strong point then Dave?

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by finknottle, Jul 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prime Minister David Cameron slipped up when he described Britain as the "junior partner" of the US in fighting Nazi Germany in 1940, when America did not join the Second World War until a year later.

I would not have thought it was our PMs job to talk down his country by calling them the junior partners to anyone.
  2. You are exactly correct!
    The first rule of diplomacy is that you do NOT, not EVER, belittle your country in public, and certainly not on foreign soil. It is a thought that should not even enter your mind.
    I can accept that this idiot made a mistake with dates; you don't expect someone with his educational background to have much grasp of it.
    But to say what he did is IMHO unforgiveable and if the man had any kind of decency he would resign, now.
    He is a complete and utter plank :frustrated:
  3. We were an extremely junior partner in the Vietnam conflict, pity we couldn't be the same junior partner in Iraq and Afghanistan. :twisted:
  4. Dave's gaff

Thought someone who had been to Eton would have known better. :oops:

Not exactly Hugh Grant in Love Actually is he?

As I recall we did pay them back for all the aid we had off them, I think we finished paying sometime in the late 70's or early 80's.
  5. 'Whatever you do,don't mention the war(s) Dave'
  6. If my memory servers me correctly that PM was Harold Wilson(Labour) the only post war PM with the guts to give the Yanks both fingers when they crooked theirs at us to get involved.
  7. Final payment was made on December 29th 2006.
  8. Do we now start all over again?
  9. If he had said Nineteen Forties and not 1940 he would have been correct.A slip of the tongue I believe and he'll probably apologise on return to the UK.
    Storm in a teacup compared to the problems facing the UK at present.
  10. Fishhead, you're not Nick Clegg by any chance are you?
  11. This is an outrage, so to that end im boarding the outrage bus.
  12. What about the talking down our country, was that also a slip of the tongue?
  13. Not really after all the years of Labour misgovernment the UK isn't worth much at all :oops:
  14. An interesting "take" on interpretations of Seniority Lists.

I think American ideas on seniority are rather like their "class system"; head shed is the one with the most money and assets.
  15. A fine example of attack is the best form of defence. :) Anyway it would appear that Dave has proved that even with his privileged education at Eton and Cambridge, that he is not the sharpest tool in the box.
  16. Wot!! Words to the effect of..................................

Mr. Obama - My country remains eternally grateful to the stupidity of Adolf Hitler, whose declaration of war on the United States on December 11th 1941, just days after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, finally forced the USA into the fight against Fascism.

Errm.....At, I may add, a tidy profit to your fair country.

RM :thumbleft:
  17. Spot on fink - and sussex for that matter.

I'm sure people will find a way of blaming it on the Labour party.
  18. Bergen. Nicely put.

Guzzler. You make an interesting point. Arguably, one of the reasons why we were ill prepared for war when we should have been was largely due to a certain Ramsay MacDonald. He was a Labour Prime Minister twice, you know. Sadly, the people he diverted effort to were hit hardest by the subsequent firestorm.
  19. The man is a plank a total and utter plank. There can be no other reason why such a senior member of the government would publicly do down his own country.
    What's going to happen in the future? Will we be easy meat for anyone wanting a 'junior partner'.
  20. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Anyone working with the US is a 'junior partner' - there is simply no story here except people desperate for an excuse to do him down.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.