Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

History not your strong point then Dave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

finknottle

Banned
Prime Minister David Cameron slipped up when he described Britain as the "junior partner" of the US in fighting Nazi Germany in 1940, when America did not join the Second World War until a year later.


I would not have thought it was our PMs job to talk down his country by calling them the junior partners to anyone.
 
finknottle said:
Prime Minister David Cameron slipped up when he described Britain as the "junior partner" of the US in fighting Nazi Germany in 1940, when America did not join the Second World War until a year later.


I would not have thought it was our PMs job to talk down his country by calling them the junior partners to anyone.

You are exactly correct!
The first rule of diplomacy is that you do NOT, not EVER, belittle your country in public, and certainly not on foreign soil. It is a thought that should not even enter your mind.
I can accept that this idiot made a mistake with dates; you don't expect someone with his educational background to have much grasp of it.
But to say what he did is IMHO unforgiveable and if the man had any kind of decency he would resign, now.
He is a complete and utter plank :frustrated:
 

slim

War Hero
We were an extremely junior partner in the Vietnam conflict, pity we couldn't be the same junior partner in Iraq and Afghanistan. :twisted:
 
Dave's gaff

Thought someone who had been to Eton would have known better. :oops:

Not exactly Hugh Grant in Love Actually is he?

As I recall we did pay them back for all the aid we had off them, I think we finished paying sometime in the late 70's or early 80's.
 

w.anchor

War Hero
slim said:
We were an extremely junior partner in the Vietnam conflict, pity we couldn't be the same junior partner in Iraq and Afghanistan. :twisted:
If my memory servers me correctly that PM was Harold Wilson(Labour) the only post war PM with the guts to give the Yanks both fingers when they crooked theirs at us to get involved.
 

Bergen

ADC
rod-gearing said:
Dave's gaff

Thought someone who had been to Eton would have known better. :oops:

Not exactly Hugh Grant in Love Actually is he?

As I recall we did pay them back for all the aid we had off them, I think we finished paying sometime in the late 70's or early 80's.

Final payment was made on December 29th 2006.
 

21_Man

War Hero
Bergen said:
rod-gearing said:
Dave's gaff

Thought someone who had been to Eton would have known better. :oops:

Not exactly Hugh Grant in Love Actually is he?

As I recall we did pay them back for all the aid we had off them, I think we finished paying sometime in the late 70's or early 80's.

Final payment was made on December 29th 2006.

Do we now start all over again?
 

fishhead

War Hero
If he had said Nineteen Forties and not 1940 he would have been correct.A slip of the tongue I believe and he'll probably apologise on return to the UK.
Storm in a teacup compared to the problems facing the UK at present.
 

finknottle

Banned
fishhead said:
If he had said Nineteen Forties and not 1940 he would have been correct.A slip of the tongue I believe and he'll probably apologise on return to the UK.
Storm in a teacup compared to the problems facing the UK at present.

What about the talking down our country, was that also a slip of the tongue?
 

slim

War Hero
finknottle said:
fishhead said:
If he had said Nineteen Forties and not 1940 he would have been correct.A slip of the tongue I believe and he'll probably apologise on return to the UK.
Storm in a teacup compared to the problems facing the UK at present.

What about the talking down our country, was that also a slip of the tongue?

Not really after all the years of Labour misgovernment the UK isn't worth much at all :oops:
 
An interesting "take" on interpretations of Seniority Lists.

I think American ideas on seniority are rather like their "class system"; head shed is the one with the most money and assets.
 

finknottle

Banned
slim said:
finknottle said:
fishhead said:
If he had said Nineteen Forties and not 1940 he would have been correct.A slip of the tongue I believe and he'll probably apologise on return to the UK.
Storm in a teacup compared to the problems facing the UK at present.

What about the talking down our country, was that also a slip of the tongue?

Not really after all the years of Labour misgovernment the UK isn't worth much at all :oops:

A fine example of attack is the best form of defence. :) Anyway it would appear that Dave has proved that even with his privileged education at Eton and Cambridge, that he is not the sharpest tool in the box.
 

Bergen

ADC
finknottle said:
slim said:
finknottle said:
fishhead said:
If he had said Nineteen Forties and not 1940 he would have been correct.A slip of the tongue I believe and he'll probably apologise on return to the UK.
Storm in a teacup compared to the problems facing the UK at present.

What about the talking down our country, was that also a slip of the tongue?

Not really after all the years of Labour misgovernment the UK isn't worth much at all :oops:

A fine example of attack is the best form of defence. :) Anyway it would appear that Dave has proved that even with his privileged education at Eton and Cambridge, that he is not the sharpest tool in the box.

Wot!! Words to the effect of..................................

Mr. Obama - My country remains eternally grateful to the stupidity of Adolf Hitler, whose declaration of war on the United States on December 11th 1941, just days after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, finally forced the USA into the fight against Fascism.

Errm.....At, I may add, a tidy profit to your fair country.


RM :thumbleft:
 

Guzzler

War Hero
finknottle said:
fishhead said:
If he had said Nineteen Forties and not 1940 he would have been correct.A slip of the tongue I believe and he'll probably apologise on return to the UK.
Storm in a teacup compared to the problems facing the UK at present.

What about the talking down our country, was that also a slip of the tongue?

Spot on fink - and sussex for that matter.

I'm sure people will find a way of blaming it on the Labour party.
 
Bergen. Nicely put.

Guzzler. You make an interesting point. Arguably, one of the reasons why we were ill prepared for war when we should have been was largely due to a certain Ramsay MacDonald. He was a Labour Prime Minister twice, you know. Sadly, the people he diverted effort to were hit hardest by the subsequent firestorm.
 
The man is a plank a total and utter plank. There can be no other reason why such a senior member of the government would publicly do down his own country.
What's going to happen in the future? Will we be easy meat for anyone wanting a 'junior partner'.
 

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
Moderator
Anyone working with the US is a 'junior partner' - there is simply no story here except people desperate for an excuse to do him down.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Late fathers Naval history History 3
soleil Portsmouth News: RN Officer Makes History After Being Named Top Naval Student On Germany's Most Prestigious Course The Fleet 2
MoD_RSS Prime Minister's video message for Black History Month: 1 October 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS From Arab headdresses to the aerospace industry, the thread of history links us to the Middle East MoD News 0
P Medical History of Opiate Dependance Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
MoD_RSS Carving out a piece of history as Highways England sets benchmark with community artworks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Most comprehensive flu programme in UK history will be rolled out this winter MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has reappointed Robert Noel and Professor Dame Janet Thornton as Trustees of the Natural History Museum. MoD News 0
soleil FB: "Whittall Division Are Making History At Britannia Royal Naval College" Bases / Shore Est 4
MoD_RSS The Prime Minister has appointed Harris Bokhari and Yadvinder Malhi as Trustees of the Natural History Museum. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS From Parliament to Pembrokeshire: Welsh Secretary to answer Welsh Questions from Wales for first time in history MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Health Secretary launches biggest diagnostic lab network in British history to test for coronavirus MoD News 0
H History of depression Joining the Royal Navy 4
MoD_RSS 100 years of maritime history and opportunities for 2020 MoD News 0
soleil Tw: HMNB Portsmouth - Burns Night - Sub-Lieutenant Ian Copland Explains Its History & The RN's Participation The Fleet 2
MoD_RSS London model ship builder helps chart the course of Qatar’s history MoD News 0
Stirlin The Troubles....a secret history. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 1
MoD_RSS Government and UK CAA launches largest repatriation in peacetime history after collapse of Thomas Cook MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER The (maybe!) final days of Brexit - a pictorial history. Diamond Lil's 40
Naval_Gazer A New Trilogy of Minewarfare History The Book Club 0
MoD_RSS History made as final fuel leaves iconic nuclear plant MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Natural History Museum assina parceria com Museu Nacional MoD News 0
G Joining the Royal Marines with a history of depression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Press release: UK crowd-sourced history campaign marks 50 years since the first Moon landings MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Grant to make Hull Minster a hub for city’s history, heritage and community MoD News 0
S History of Communications branch within the SM service History 21
MoD_RSS News story: David Mundell celebrates LGBT History Month MoD News 0
higthepig This may be interesting..............This day in History. The Quarterdeck 88
X History of Jervis Block, HMS Nelson History 30
MoD_RSS News story: Your chance to question Ministry of Defence medals and records experts at Family History Shows MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Natural History Museum Reappointments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Natural History Museum Reappointment MoD News 0
Sumo History of Plymouth History 4
MoD_RSS Speech: The Potential for the First Free and Fair Elections in DRC History MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: The Potential for the First Free and Fair Elections in DRC History MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Army start biggest military robot exercise in British history, Defence Secretary announces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: HS2 begins archaeology work exploring over 10,000 years of British history MoD News 0
themuddyduck No Medical History in the UK and A Surgery Abroad? Joining the Royal Navy 6
soleil Lockheed Martin: "F-35 Completes Most Comprehensive Flight Test Program in Aviation History" The Fleet Air Arm 0
Sumo Bit of old history from a brave man History 2
C A little bit of lesser known history Bases / Shore Est 4
J Euryalus History History 14
L Medical history from a foreign country Joining the Royal Navy 14
MoD_RSS News story: Your chance to question Ministry of Defence medals and records experts at Family History Shows MoD News 0
I Question of whether I would be accepted due to drug use in medical history? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
M Clearing up medical history Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
SARKING Secret History HMS Glorious History 1
MoD_RSS News story: History of MOD in space MoD News 0
Simon - Quest Magazine Charterhouse - CCF Contingent Commander & Teacher of History The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Ageing_Gracefully Pot Luck Book Comp - Mil History Competitions 22
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

New Posts

Top