History and Tradition

Discussion in 'History' started by SJRM_RN, Sep 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Are you the one with the Kingsize Mars bar sticking out of his top left tunic pocket!?

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I always like those Majorettes out in front.

3. Granted that the RM Band Service is the best of it's kind, and likewise the RM Commandos.

But - How do they view one another?

Seriously:

Are they 'All of one RM Company' and thus share each other's reflected glory?

Or, (when no-one is looking), is it a case of 'Green lids vs Pith Helmets'?

Bob

PS No angle - I have the highest regard for all RMs.

4. Same here.

A great oppo of mine is a WO2(WO1 desig) 'proper' bootneck and he never slags off the bandies.

I concur with you statement - both elements of the Royal Marines are the best in their field.

5. Years ago you had to be the bravest of the brave to be a bandie, they were always at the front, leading the troops into battle.

Don't they still double up as medics now?

6. Nothing but respect for the Band Service, nobody better at what they do.

7. Especially the one eyed piccolo players :roll: :wink:

8. And so you should be if your one of em.
    Dirty Bugger :wink: :?

9. Thanks Stix, that is quite reassuring.

My curiosity also lead me here:

http://www.royalmarinesbands.co.uk/history/Falklands_memories.htm

with several accounts of mutual respect from both versions of our Royal Marines, eg:

“from GD Marine: 5 Troop B Company 40 Commando Royal Marines

As a Marine who served in the South Atlantic, I find my mind drifting back to the Falkland Islands reminiscing the events of 20 years ago. I remember as an 18 year old in Seaton Barracks, Plymouth, the Sergeant Major addressing B Coy 40 Cdo with his thoughts of the events to come. The words "some of you may not return" brought home the seriousness of the situation and it was time to prepare for the very thing for which I had finished training only 8 months previous.
    It wasn't long before we found ourselves sailing south on the SS Canberra. Many days and weeks of arduous training ensued. Mental, physical and military preparation took up the greater part of our days with only minimum time to relax in the evenings. It was this spare time that was spent thinking of what was to come and of our families and homes.
    All ranks on the Canberra were privileged to have members of the Band Service on board and although they also had a strenuous training schedule like everyone else they took the time they had to relax by putting on shows for the rest of us. This I have to say is one of my fondest memories of the journey to the South Atlantic. I remember the music so well and how I felt my morale rise and my pride flow, as I know did all others on board.â€

Bob

10. I was always well aware of what bandies did in conflicts but do the lady bandies do the same alnogside their male counterparts?
    No hidden agenda, just curious as I've not thought about it before.

11. Cheers :thumbleft: