Historical Punishment (RN/RM)

Discussion in 'History' started by maninblack, Jul 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maninblack

maninblack Book Reviewer

In looking at my Grandafther's history in the RMLI during WW1 there is a deduction of a good conduct badge in 1915 with the reason listed agaist it as ' "C" 10 Days '

Is this "Confined" for a minor transgression or is it more significant?

cheers from an Arrser.

2. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

? Cell punishment? Tendayscellsoncapleftturnquickmarch..

3. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

If the "c" is listed as the reason, then surely it categorises the offence and has nothing to do with the punishment? Where's SGtP when you need him? You can never find a copper when you want one.

4. Not really.

I take it that it's the Service Certificate we're talking about here.

The details on said document are what would now be considered vague to say the least.

Offences have a consequential effect so, for instance, 'Cells' or 'Confined' or whatever it means may, in those days, have meant deprivation of a badge - therefore 'C' would be a valid 'reason'.

5. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

CP = Cell Punishment. At least it did in my day!

6. The ten days cells was usually done onboard and the Good conduct badge
    is taken as part of the punishment The yearly assessment of conduct is also graded as good instead of VG [very good]

There is usually a remarks column on the old type doc's that note
    why the guy got cells !!
    Most likely drunk on board or missing the ship/returning onboard late.

G .

7. Hi M-i-B,

:idea: Have you thought about inquiring of the staff at here?:

http://www.royalmarinesmuseum.co.uk/index2.html

Most military Museum are experts at handling this type of fast ball,

Best of luck - I was 'marines, too...........

.........'kin Submarines, though :twisted:

Bob

8. My SC has a 'D' for detention for the 28 I was 'awarded' in DQ's .
    To confuse the matter, under Time Forfeited there are abbreviations thus

P - D - C - C.P. - A - F.P., - W.T., - Pay F., - U.L.

My yearly assessment dropped to 'Fair' also losing my first badge.

9. maninblack

maninblack Book Reviewer

Cheers, chaps. I may pop down to the RM Museum next week, it is only 1 mile down the road from me.

Continuing this theme does anyone know what "HB Ledger" was in respect of Eastney?

10. Maninblack,

Are you reading the information written in your Grandfathers service record correctly? :wink:

Are you sure that your Grandfather forfeited his Good Conduct Badge? Or did he actually forfeit 10 days service towards his Good Conduct Badge due to a Conduct issue?

Had he been confined it would have been listed as CB = confined to barracks, CP = confined to port, (these are the abbreviations used during WW1).
    Had he been placed under arrest/in the cells it would state Cells in his service record.

As for HB Ledger, Eastney, it crossed my mind that it could be relating to the Howitzer Brigade which was at Eastney, although they were RMA :? so I now have my doubts.

In general: The Service Ledgers are about 3ft x 4ft, and they contain the service records for those who served on ships. A ledger was used because it was not practical to use a lot of paper onboard ship. The Ledger was kept at the servicemans Depot and would have been update constantly. Your Grandfather will be listed by his service number in the Ledger. I have no idea what the HB relates to, but I think somewhere written in your Grandfathers service record there will be a clue.

SP.

11. Excellent Parade Ground Order:

'Royal Marines......Piths OFF'

(Can't Catch me, Royal! .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. Help, Put me Down!!)

12. maninblack

maninblack Book Reviewer

Howitzer Brigade could make sense, he went from Eastney to the Royal Garrison Artillery. I was told that a fair proportion of RMLI served as gunners and that a lot of RMA served as infantry. Amongst other sailings he did serrve as a deck gunner on a submarine and served also as gun crew on HMS Q1.

13. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Do you have any more details on this part of your post?

14. maninblack

maninblack Book Reviewer

Absolutely no information whatsoever. The detachment does not show on his records but he ended up being treated for chlorine poisoning due to salt water on the batteries after being depth charged.

15. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Greenie, any views?

16. maninblack

maninblack Book Reviewer

Right, I have an answer for HB Ledger at Eastney.

Home Base Ledger; the list of men who are posted for UK deployment only. I will find out more about this in a week or so when I meet the archivist at Eastney.