Historic Warship Trust - Birkenhead

PartTimePongo

War Hero
How much work would it take to get Plymouth firing again?

Aren't those RR Olympus powerplants on board?

Failing that , she might make an attraction for Blackpool?I often wonder why these exhibits aren't kept partially "live" . A ship to my mind, just isn't alive until you can feel the vibration through the decking.

They ought to have "Steam days" with some of the systems fired up.

clanky

War Hero
PartTimePongo said:
How much work would it take to get Plymouth firing again?

Aren't those RR Olympus powerplants on board?

Failing that , she might make an attraction for Blackpool?I often wonder why these exhibits aren't kept partially "live" . A ship to my mind, just isn't alive until you can feel the vibration through the decking.

They ought to have "Steam days" with some of the systems fired up.
Y100 steam plant. Depending on the current state of the plant, and allowing for the fact that most of the OEMs went out of business in the 80s, AND taking into account the licencing and safety issues involved in flashing up a plant thats been cold for 20 years. Thats gona cost a few quid. I'd bet there'so shortage of volunteers to operate and mainain it though!

Ratrat

Lantern Swinger
I agree with Clanky about the safety issues of steam driven machinery that has been cold for so long but would like to point out that the operation and maintenance of the machinery fell to the MEA(P)s, Mechanicians and MEM(M)s not the OEMs.

clanky

War Hero
Ratrat said:
I agree with Clanky about the safety issues of steam driven machinery that has been cold for so long but would like to point out that the operation and maintenance of the machinery fell to the MEA(P)s, Mechanicians and MEM(M)s not the OEMs.
My bold. I meant Original Equipment Manufacturers. I sincerely hope that this as a bite!

Ratrat

Lantern Swinger
I have never been called an OEM before. Whilst drafted to Chatham Fleet Maintenance Unit, I think I spent half my time on milling machines and lathes making new parts fo HMS Plymouth. :lol: :lol: :lol:

clanky

War Hero
Ratrat
While I dont deny that many of us have the skills to make the neccesary parts, though I dont remember that happening terribly often when I was on Leanders, the fact still remains that the task of re-flashing the Plymouth would be made much harder due to lack of manufcturer support. This was, I believe, one of the lessons identified in the process of bringing the Fearless back into service. I suppose the LPDs in Fareham creek could be a useful source of bits though. Trust me, my intention is not to belittle the contribution we MEs make to the process, but merel to comment on the practical consideraions involved in bringing the Plymouth alive again, based on my own experience

Dabtoe

Midshipman
Hey Guys lets not forget that there is more than Plymouth involved here, Bronnington, Onyx and U 534. Surely a short trip across the Mersey would not be to difficult an undertaking. Any one got m8s on Liverpool Council?

Deckhead_Inspector

Lantern Swinger
Plymouth is sound and could be towed any where. Onyx is leaking a bit. Bronington's hull is sound but the upper deck leaks. The U boat is in need of a major refit!

Problem aswell with the historic Collection is the static exhibits on the jetty
the collection should be kept together .
Think the obvious choice for Plymouth would be guzz they have Courageous on display there aswell.
Onyx is Camell Laird built but would probably be welcome in Barrow.

Just hope something can be sorted out .

Mick_Strigg

Midshipman
Hey guys, Historic Warships is (was) a company. It didn’t make a profit, so it went bust and is now in the hands of the Official Receiver.

No amount of rhetoric like “surely….…†this or “they should…..…†that will stop the Receiver from selling off the assets to pay off the creditors.

It would be great if the Wasp was donated to the Historic Flight, but that ain’t going to happen; the Receiver is too cash orientated I’m afraid.

I did intend visiting couple of weeks back never knew anything about problems.

Liverpool is Liverpool Birkenhead is foreign when it comes to hand outs IE City of Culture thing.

Not many static subs about to visit may have been different if it had been based over in the city. Over there it is out of sight out of mind and not so many know about the Warship Trust.

Wonder what they paid for the silly looking yellow submarine outside the airport. Think it was moved same time as "THE JOHN LENNON AIRPORT" arrived on the map.

Radovan said:
Slinger

This link will take you straight to the petition:

http://mylostoppos.com/petition/forms/form1.html

dt018a9667

War Hero
There were moves afoot to bring the Plymouth back to guz but it has all gone quiet now, I think the short sighted labour council are hoping it will all be forgotten and they can spend the money on some white elephant or pc project