Historic Newsreels

PartTimePongo

War Hero
Just been flicking through web pages trying to find historic newsreels, as I was trying to find Dimbelby's famous "The Fleet ish all lit up , you are my beshtest pal" etc.

There are quite a few newsreels out there, so if anyone can find some interesting ones, preferably RN , and preferably showing ships and exotic bases from long ago.

The BBC have some stuff , but be warned , some is upsetting.

If you are going to post a newsreel clip in , please give some background as to what it is first.

PTP

sampost

Newsreel clip shows opening of the Princess Elizabeth Graving Dock in East London, South Africa, during Royal Tour of 1947, and HMS Vanguard in Cape Town.
The SAS Port Rex (Shore Establishment) building is near the graving dock,, now unoccupied and looking rather derelict when last I visited earlier in 2018.

huwshpis

War Hero
Just been flicking through web pages trying to find historic newsreels, as I was trying to find Dimbelby's famous "The Fleet ish all lit up , you are my beshtest pal" etc.

There are quite a few newsreels out there, so if anyone can find some interesting ones, preferably RN , and preferably showing ships and exotic bases from long ago.

The BBC have some stuff , but be warned , some is upsetting.

If you are going to post a newsreel clip in , please give some background as to what it is first.

PTP
The "fleet's lit up" broadcast was the 1937 Coronation Fleet Review and was by Lt Commander Tommy Woodrooffe Royal Navy (Retired). He had somewhat unwisely accepted the hospitality of some old shipmates before beginning his commentary.

fishhead

War Hero
Newsreel clip shows opening of the Princess Elizabeth Graving Dock in East London, South Africa, during Royal Tour of 1947, and HMS Vanguard in Cape Town.
The SAS Port Rex (Shore Establishment) building is near the graving dock,, now unoccupied and looking rather derelict when last I visited earlier in 2018.

Princess Elizabeth! Whatever happened to her?