HIPs - have you heard of them?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by rosinacarley, May 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Following on from another thread, I wondered if RR

1. Has heard of HIPs or sellers packs?
    2. Knows that they become law on 1 June
    3. Has an opinion (of course you have an opinion) whether they will be worthwhile
    4. Thinks that the press are stoking this one up for a fall

Here is a website of a HIP provider for your guidance

http://www.hiphomes.co.uk/index_main.cfm

2. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Yes

Yes
    Not anymore - the original intent was good, i.e. provide all necessary info to buyer, but since the buyer will need to repeat a large amount of the work undertaken by the seller, what's the point now?

Possibly - I saw an article the other week in one of the broad-sheets that discussed the merits of selling without a HIP (the fine cost less than the HIP itself).

3. For those wishing to read a recent House of Lords Report critiquing HIP (made available 3 May 2007)
    visit here.

For those interested in a hard copy version it is HL Paper 92, 2006-07 Session, and is available from TSO at a price of £8.50, and can be ordered online via: http://www.tsoshop.co.uk/bookstore....=Book&ProductID=0104851627&From=SearchResults

For other publications on the HIPs follow this link: http://www.tsoshop.co.uk/bookstore.asp?FO=1159966&action=SearchResults
    and enter the search term "Home Information Packs"

4. There's a write up on page 2 of the Daily Mail today about Home Information Packs. Minsters have had to back down and allow a commons vote after a widespread backlash by the housing industry, politicians and the public.
    I don't know when the vote is but they don't reckon it will become law on 1st June.

5. Nothing to worry about, just another stealth tax...

6. It's a complete waste of time - the concept is, as usual pretty good, the execution is, as usual a pathetic incomplete load of bollac**! It will however be a bloody good racket to get into! Just like Health and Safety and Quality! Only trouble is it costs a bloody fortune to qualify at the moment! When it gets to a reasonable rate get in there, any ex chief could do the job (well they can't do bugger all else can they, completely ruined for any REAL job! - standing by for incoming on that one!!)

Three Growth Industries in Britain today - Health and Safety, Quality and Security - non of them do a bloody thing! Soon there will be four! HIP! HIP! hooray!

7. Another opportunity for criminals to chance their arm?

No ID.

8. Having bought and sold houses in the past I would welcome the pack if it ensured that a legally binding House surveyers report was included. The results of which could be relied on by both seller and buyer. In many cases a buyer likes the property and goes to the expense of a surveyers report which shows the defects in he property. The buyer thanaborts the sale only to have to pay for yet another survey onhis next house. Let the seller pay for an independent survey which can be used by all prospective purchasers.
    Scottish law of course is better than English law for house purchase and sale

9. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

The nub of the problem - the surveyor's report has two aspects: 1) gives prospective buyer an idea of the house condition, and 2) provides value for mortgage purposes.

There are a couple of problems with HIPs as originally intended;

- financial institutions would not accept the HIP for aspect #2, so the buyers would still have to arrange for an inspection of some sort. On this same issue, assuming that the institutions would accept the report, how long would its valuation be valid?

- liability (aspect #1) - the contract for the inspection is between the vendor and the inspector - should any deficiencies exist in the report the inspector has zero liability towards the new owner. The T&Cs around the inspection would need to be watertight to give protection to the buyer and protect inspectors from frivolous litigation.

10. One of the major corner stones of the original H.I.P. was to have a complete Electrical inspection of the property, as per the rental market.
    This was removed from the pack, as a full inspection of a property can cost up to £200 and take about 2-3 hours, which is not much for peace of mind. :(

I'm qualified as a sparky and can do this my self, :lol: so it doesn't worry me too much as I will do this as a matter of course before buying but having seen the state of the wiring within some properties, including the ones that my lass owns and rents out(which took a damm lot of time and hard work to sort out), which was because a cowboy/DIY'er has a done a very dodgy and dangerous job. :evil: :evil:

This would have made the pack worthwhile just for this one item, remove it and its just a waste of time, I believe that even the energy assessment will not be up to scratch as the original spec as been changed from what was required.

Just another way for Nu Lab to rack more money in... surprised...not really :cry: :cry:

11. [quote="safewalrus" any ex chief could do the job

In my time I came across a few who would have been hard pushed to put together a bag meal for a woodpecker in Epping Forest.

12. precisely finknottle, Precisely!

13. My sister works for a large construction company, as an Architect Trainee, and the word on the street is (from the insiders) that they are pretty useless but are very certainly going to afford people, such as my sis, to make a fast buck in return for very little work.
    She is currently mid-way through HIP training, and from what I can gather (as a 3rd year Architecture student myself, with some insider knowledge) is that anyone with basic maths skills, and a little common sense could whip together a pack!

My sister predicts she will be earning in the region of £150 per pack (something like £75 an hour) and plans to do it as a weekend foreigner. All those in construction see it as a great way to earn a mint quickly, and value the Packs very little- and I have to say I agree. The Government needs to be seen to be doing something about the new global political imperative- climate change, and this is one way of doing this at the expense of the tax payer. In reality, the UK should have been forcing the MNCs (who knock up dodgy homes) to foot the cost of energy efficient housing initiatives 20 years ago- as our European counterparts did.

To prove the validity, or in this case lack of, there is no law defining who can and cannot train as an HIP Inspector- so any Tom, Dick or Chief could train as a HIP jobby in the near future… CRAZY!

14. What happens if you live in a listed building with those nightmare Crittall windows?
    You can't replace them, they blow a howling gale when its windy and the layers of paint distort them. Slam them and all the putty falls out.
    Surely you are never going to get any energy saving credits for that.
    It may well just be used as a bargaining tool by prospetive buyers to knock down the price.
    They can try but they won't succeed :twisted: