High test score...what to do now?

Just had a successful interview and seemed to impress the officer taking it who let me know then and there.

He let me know that I scored 10% more than the score needed for the toughest requirements branch and comfortably at Officer standards.

I'm applying to be a Medical Assistant Rating and am 32 (so too old to be an officer)

I was about to leave feeling pretty chuffed when another officer stopped me as he'd overheard his colleague and tried to convince me to apply for Student Navy Nurse instead and have my degree paid for and a salary from day one whilst I get qualified.

The thought of going back to uni for 3 years really doesn't appeal as I wanna get out at sea asap. I believe as well that when qualified as a nurse I'll be mostly based on shore?

He seemed to turn his nose up a bit at me wanting to be a medical assistant and also said I should consider Communications Technician (which my interviewer was)

Not a bad problem to have but not sure what to do now!?

Personally, I would find out as much as you can about the different options and do what makes you happy. Top and bottom, you will be doing it for another (potentially) 20 years.

I have got ratings with 2 degrees that love being a SEA spec. If that spins your props - then that's up to you.

I mean getting the Adult Nursing BSc is a guaranteed job on civvy street and being paid a salary whilst the navy fund my qualification is a massive pro

I'm drawn to the medical side of things and "helping people" but the guy was very very positive about me looking at CT

I am a Warfare Spec. I joined at 16, because I thought 'The Hunt for Red October' looked cool as f**k and wanted to scream around the North Atlantic hunting Russians.

The reality is somewhat different. I spent many years scrubbing decks and have no formal qualifications (short of the service leadership ones) to my name, but I have got loads of transferable skills to take into civvy street. I have loved every minute and wouldn't change my choice. I joined to do what made me happy and not what I am going to do with it outside. I will deal with that with about 12 months to go before my time is done, hopefully the Navy will keep giving me Career Extensions...

I have helped lots of people in my time; Islands in the Caribbean/Philippines/Sierra Leone etc and that had nothing to do with my core trade. When you deploy and something comes up, it is all hands in to wa*k the elephant anyway.

So I guess what I am trying to say is, it all depends what your motives are for joining and that will drive your career decision.

I am a Warfare Spec. I joined at 16, because I thought 'The Hunt for Red October' looked cool as f**k and wanted to scream around the North Atlantic hunting Russians.

The reality is somewhat different. I spent many years scrubbing decks and have no formal qualifications (short of the service leadership ones) to my name, but I have got loads of transferable skills to take into civvy street. I have loved every minute and wouldn't change my choice. I joined to do what made me happy and not what I am going to do with it outside. I will deal with that with about 12 months to go before my time is done, hopefully the Navy will keep giving me Career Extensions...

I have helped lots of people in my time; Islands in the Caribbean/Philippines/Sierra Leone etc and that had nothing to do with my core trade. When you deploy and something comes up, it is all hands in to wa*k the elephant anyway.

So I guess what I am trying to say is, it all depends what your motives are for joining and that will drive your career decision.
What a brilliant and helpful reply. Cheers mate very inspiring. Appreciate it!

I'm thinking that Naval Nurse might not so it for me as if almost certainly spend majority of my time on shore and I really don't think I can hack 3 years at Uni. I'll be 36 when I enter!

CT sounds interesting

What a brilliant and helpful reply. Cheers mate very inspiring. Appreciate it!

I'm thinking that Naval Nurse might not so it for me as if almost certainly spend majority of my time on shore and I really don't think I can hack 3 years at Uni. I'll be 36 when I enter!

CT sounds interesting
No. You join, do phase 1 training and then continue with nursing training.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
As ever, the job of the Careers Adviser is to give you career options to ensure you make an informed choice.

The fact someone scores well in the recruit test just means there are more options, it doesn't necessarily mean the individual must choose a more challenging or intellectually more stimulating role.

My advice? Look at all options, then choose the job that you know in your gut you want most.

Hi stoker they last for ever @Ninja_Stoker can vouch for that, but he does live in a Tupperware box;) next to Peter Pan.
look at what is open to you and what takes your fancy, and do that, don't live with regrets, not all good deals are good for everyone? Good luck