Hieght restrictions

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by -benji-, Jul 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. is there any height restrictions if you want to be a pilot???? thanks :farao:

2. Under three feet and over nine feet would be a problem, however being over six feet and weighing twenty five stone would be a problem also.

3. I think its 30000Ft for some aircraft.

(I'll get me coat!)

4. With Ref to height restrictions as a Pilot. There aren't any really, with the exception of the general rule for the RN of over 151.5 cm. That said, they will during your flying apptitude test check out your measurements to make sure you can fit into a fast jet. If not and you pass the flying apptitude then you will normally be offered Helo pilot instead.

Here's a copy of the rules taken from the RN web site

Height
    Height requirements vary for each of the Services. To be an Aircraft Handler you must be no shorter than 166cm and for other branches you must be no shorter than 151.5cm.

Hope this helps

Neil - Supermario

:nemo:

6. Centimeters? :confused: What's that in real measurement? ;)

7. Re: Height restrictions

For thingy,
    It works out to approx 4.97047244 feet if my maths is any good

SM

:nemo:

8. Scouse
    I looked even taller driving my Nubian 6 x 6 Dual Purpose Airfield Crash Tender. And even taller stood on the back panel topping cockpits up with protein foam. LOL. Benji dont worry about it, we are apparently all the same size in bed. LOL

9. Benji
    The FAA recruiter says:
    It is all to do with different hip to knee length ratio and knee to foot ratio. Everyone is treated individually. He is 6ft 5 ins and flies Merlins.
    Hope this helps.
    Basically, apply and we'll do the rest.
    DE

10. But not as tall as the Chockhead that put one through the Dinning hall window at Lossiemouth :w00t: :thumright:

11. We had some very good Helo Pilots that were not very tall as well :thumright:

12. From a chockhead point of view.
    If the jockey was short it would give us a logistical problem. If aircraft not on even keel said jockey would go down and wrap round seat or chopper go and fall down across second seat. In which case yours trully would be beployed as chief hero (Ops i mean rescue) and drag a bit up for the assistant rescue. If to Large then a (Desperate Dan) was required. Someone like Frank (The Tank) Nugget at Lossie, remember him scouse. He would pick aircraft shake it about till aircrew fell out, like shaking a stone from a shoe. The rest of us would then run around trying to catch them. So whatever happens Benji "your safe in there hands" chockhead motto. LOL LOL

13. Don't tell my wife, please!!!

14. Big or Small i dont mind. As long as they can auto rotate. When the engine goes quiet :thumright: :salut:

15. Found a dit relevent to where the thread is at the moment hang on ill find it

16. Fred :thumright: it was Rupert the Chockhead that put the Engine through the dinning hall window at Lossie :thumright:

17. Yes i heard about it, My mate Tom Bell tried sliding a crash wagon into ronnie,s bar outside halfar. And Randy Ransom tried to end over end a nubian off the end of the duty runway at jovial yeovil.
    Anyway Benji this verse has to be learned word for word to get into the FAA big or small.

Aircraft ARE better than women

* Airplanes usually kill you quickly; a woman takes her time.
    * Airplanes can be turned on by a flick of a switch.
    * Airplanes don't get mad if you do a "touch and go."
    * Airplanes don't object to a pre-flight inspection.
    * Airplanes come with a manual to explain their operation.
    * Airplanes have strict weight and balance limitations.
    * Airplanes can be flown at any time of the month.
    * Airplanes don't come with in-laws.
    * Airplanes don't care about how many other airplanes you've flow before.
    * Airplanes and pilots both arrive at the same time.
    * Airplanes don't mind if you look at other airplanes.
    * Airplanes don't mind if you buy airplane magazines.
    * Airplanes expect to be tied down.
    * Airplanes don't comment on your piloting skills.
    * Airplanes don't whine unless something is really wrong.
    * However, when airplanes go quiet, just like women, it's usually not good.

18. Brill B/Z :thumright:

19. The management (wife) thinks im being sarcastic when i read that out LOL.
    Perish the thought lol

20. I'm 6 foot 4, or 193 in cm! Do you find many "tall" guys in the Navy, if so, they do cope ok?

I'd find it hard in submarine being that tall, that's my assumption!