Hiatus Hernia

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Anth1986, Feb 12, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello I was hoping on some advice or if someone could shed some
    Light on my situation.
    So basically I got a letter from capita stating I am medically unfit for military service because of an operation to correct a hiatus hernia and this operation makes me unfit for military service and there is no appeal against the standards. I just can't under how this operation makes me unfit as I have no symptoms take no medication and can do any type of physical activities. I also know of some one who had a heart operation and still managed to get in and that must surely be worse than a operation on a hernia on my stomach. I'm absolutely gutterd obviously and I have had no explanation as to how this hernia make me medical unfit.
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Sorry to hear of your circumstances. I really don't know the reason behind it as I am not medically qualified but I am aware it is an outright bar to entry unfortunately.

The standards applied have evolved over many years as a result of catalogued and often tragic circumstances that resulted from known pre-existing conditions that arose during the rigours of training or during combat operations. Some conditions heighten the risk of recurrence and may increase the risk of severe complications. Possibly one of our medically qualified members can better explain or articulate the individual reason but it is pretty clear in paragraph 4E.01 b) of the joint service publication : http://www.arrse.co.uk/community/attachments/148205/
    • Like Like x 1
  3. It is just frustrating as I know I am able to do anything I can't understand how it can make me unsuitable as joining the forces has been my lifelong dream. Thanks for your reply hopefully can find out why it makes me pmu soon to give me some closeure I hope
  4. I have no idea about present rules but I was diagnosed with a Hiatus Hernia during basic training at Raleigh and was allowed to carry on and complete. I hope this will be the same for you but have no idea.
  5. Yes I was given medication and also told to watch my diet (difficult to do during basic training) I was 18 at the time and I seemed to grow out of it, I am now 50 and maybe need antacids once or twice a year.
  6. Hi,
    I hate to worry you, but if you have been taking Omeprazole and still take Gaviscon for symptom control, plus have a confirmed Hiatus Hernia then the outcome of the medical isn't likely to be positive for you with the decision being PMU.
    Sorry for being a downer.