Hiatus Hernia

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Anth1986, Feb 12, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Tags:
  1. Anth1986

Anth1986 Midshipman

Hello I was hoping on some advice or if someone could shed some
    Light on my situation.
    So basically I got a letter from capita stating I am medically unfit for military service because of an operation to correct a hiatus hernia and this operation makes me unfit for military service and there is no appeal against the standards. I just can't under how this operation makes me unfit as I have no symptoms take no medication and can do any type of physical activities. I also know of some one who had a heart operation and still managed to get in and that must surely be worse than a operation on a hernia on my stomach. I'm absolutely gutterd obviously and I have had no explanation as to how this hernia make me medical unfit.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Sorry to hear of your circumstances. I really don't know the reason behind it as I am not medically qualified but I am aware it is an outright bar to entry unfortunately.

The standards applied have evolved over many years as a result of catalogued and often tragic circumstances that resulted from known pre-existing conditions that arose during the rigours of training or during combat operations. Some conditions heighten the risk of recurrence and may increase the risk of severe complications. Possibly one of our medically qualified members can better explain or articulate the individual reason but it is pretty clear in paragraph 4E.01 b) of the joint service publication : http://www.arrse.co.uk/community/attachments/148205/

• Like Like x 1
  3. Anth1986

Anth1986 Midshipman

It is just frustrating as I know I am able to do anything I can't understand how it can make me unsuitable as joining the forces has been my lifelong dream. Thanks for your reply hopefully can find out why it makes me pmu soon to give me some closeure I hope

4. RabC

RabC War Hero

I have no idea about present rules but I was diagnosed with a Hiatus Hernia during basic training at Raleigh and was allowed to carry on and complete. I hope this will be the same for you but have no idea.

5. RabC

RabC War Hero

Yes I was given medication and also told to watch my diet (difficult to do during basic training) I was 18 at the time and I seemed to grow out of it, I am now 50 and maybe need antacids once or twice a year.

6. nemesis1066

nemesis1066 Badgeman

Hi,
    I hate to worry you, but if you have been taking Omeprazole and still take Gaviscon for symptom control, plus have a confirmed Hiatus Hernia then the outcome of the medical isn't likely to be positive for you with the decision being PMU.
    Sorry for being a downer.

7. Rabbit Stew

Rabbit Stew Midshipman

How did this turn out for you? Did you appeal?

I have exactly the same problem. Surgery for hiatus hernia over 5 years ago however no symptoms of reflux or use of antacids since or any other related issues..

8. Sumo

Sumo War Hero

Have you realised you are asking a question of a thread last used a year ago? Just saying like!

9. Ninja_Stoker

Just to add that unfortunately the standards applied for entry cannot be appealed, they are non-negotiable.

The standards applied to those already serving differ to those yet to join so beware using the examples of serving personnel as a sign that the entry standards allow a degree of flex. They don't. Equally any undisclosed pre-existing medical condition (that is a bar to entry) which comes to light in the first 56 Days of joining will result in discharge.

10. Sumo

Sumo War Hero

Ninja surley rabbit would not be able to blag it as his medical records would show he had the operation?

11. Ninja_Stoker

People do occasionally try try to blag it - 120 recruits were discharged on medical grounds over the last year. When people apply, they sign a consent form which permits the Naval Service to access their medical records but some still don't declare stuff, thinking they'll get away with it. If they're lucky, they get weeded out prior to entry but the volume of data available may mean they don't get sussed until pre-entry screening after passing the medical, but prior to entry or sometimes not until after they join.

On several occasions I've had to ring people on the friday just before they thought they were joining on the sunday, only to inform them "Sorry mate, the offer of service has been removed". Needless to say it's everyone else's fault. Obvs.

12. Sumo

Sumo War Hero

Ninja I know what you mean, as with all families, there are always a few shady characters, one when he gets court always blames his dad for leaving him to a life of crime and drug abuse.

13. Rabbit Stew

Rabbit Stew Midshipman

Yes Sumo I am well aware, however the appeals process takes a while...

I declared it at triage and was told it was fine and in the face to face I was informed I should not have got that far and the doctor could not apologise enough.

I am hopeful that I can get some records to show that I had the surgery for reflux purposes only and as I have been clear for 5 years I should meet the P2 standard but it's a long shot and dependent on what my medical records say specifically.

Thanks for all your replies!

14. Sumo

Sumo War Hero

the problem can occur with the words used by your doctors in your notes.
    good luck