Hi, What is the 6 Minute rule?!

GPZ_pilot

Lantern Swinger
Hi, I have got my FATs this Monday, I've read on another post about the "Six minute rule", but it wasnt explained. Can anybody rectify my problem please?

Thanks.

Kim

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
From SF in the AIB Sticky:

silverfox said:
what we tend to do in navigation is to operate in 6 or 3 minute time segments. This is because 6 mins is a tenth of an hour and dividing by 10 is the easiest way to do maths.

for example: you are proceeding at 24kts, how far will you travel in 27 minutes?

answer: 24kts = 6 mins for 2.4nm. therefore 27 mins=4.5 x 6 minute chunks = 10.8nm.

Handy when you are trying to work out how long it will take to reach the next exit or service station on the motorway.......or so someone once told me......
Good luck & welcome. by the way!

Ninja_Stoker said:
From SF in the AIB Sticky:

silverfox said:
what we tend to do in navigation is to operate in 6 or 3 minute time segments. This is because 6 mins is a tenth of an hour and dividing by 10 is the easiest way to do maths.

for example: you are proceeding at 24kts, how far will you travel in 27 minutes?

answer: 24kts = 6 mins for 2.4nm. therefore 27 mins=4.5 x 6 minute chunks = 10.8nm.

Handy when you are trying to work out how long it will take to reach the next exit or service station on the motorway.......or so someone once told me......
Good luck & welcome. by the way!
Feck me! If it's that easy why was I a scab lifter? I could have been somebody!