Hi newbie here!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by rogerthat, Nov 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone.

I've passed the selection process and have my start date for Raleigh.

However last night i was on the train with a few of my mates and one of them decided to kick the arm rest off one of the chairs. The train conductor had seen this and came over and was abrubtly told to f*** off by myself after a few too many pints. Stupid i know.

Anywho i ended up getting arrested with the other lad and ended up getting an £80 penalty notice for criminal damage.

Im planning on going to the afco today to let them know, but would just like some infomation on what i can expect to happen?

I was told at the police station that this is no admission of guilt and will not result in a criminal conviction being made against me, which it also states on the slip i have.

Will this result in my application being delayed at all? I have nothing previous at all if thats any use.

Stupid situation i know, thanks in advance for any replies.

2. Cant answer your question mate but welcome to the site.

Bit of a stupid thing to do your best bet is waiting for ninja stoker to pop along as he knows near enough everything.

Try using the search function see if theres anything there, i would do it for you but i cant be fcuked! :eek:

3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Well done, you sound just like the type of chav that makes Britain proud.

4. Ah, another promising Naval career down the gurgler. Farewell young thruster.

5. Now, Now Blobbs, we are not all angles and most of us on here have done things when drunk that perhaps we should not have (Ask NZ who got a nights lodging curtesy of Plod not 9 miles from where I am flat on my back)

6. I expected someone to say this so thanks! I know i've been an idiot.

Just to make you aware it wasnt me that caused the criminal damage, it was a mate of mine, but at the end of the day i was should of kept my mouth shut.

Any help would be appreciated.

7. just go down to your afco and talk with your careers officer

8. Im going to today mate. I would just like abit of info if possible.

As i have said i know ive been an idiot but im sure most of us have when drunk.

Would just appreciate an answer if at all possible.

9. I was smart enough (Or is that dumb enough?) to wait until I had passed Recruit Training before I blotted my Copy Book in Cumbria.
    To be so negatively switched on to not be able to refrain from being a twunt before even getting his sweaty mitts on a Rail Warrant to Raleigh speaks volumes.

10. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

True, a promising young thruster once got drunk and smashed lots of windows with his fist in a smallie North Devon town just before he joined up.......... :oops: luckily he was young enough for his headmaster to intervene...

11. Like i said i know it was stupid and i think its abit harsh that i got a fine considering the train conductor told the police that it wasnt me that kicked the bloody thing off!

12. I won't comment on the navy application, since I don't know, but I will however make a comment on your crime.

You seem to be, to a certain extent, defending your actions to yourself by saying you weren't the one committing criminal damage. I'm sure I am not the only one who sees the act of being aggressive and swearing at the train guard as the greater of the two evils here, not the lesser.

13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Just checked my sympathy-o-meter... hovering around zero unfortunately.

Now, I could be rather negative & advise the worst possible outcome, without advising the best possible outcome.

In both scenarios the fine must be paid & proof of this must be provided at your AFCO.

In the worst case scenario, your Careers Adviser could withdraw your offer of service & insist you wait the full 5 years rehabilitation period 'awarded' for a fine if he or she thinks you are a muppet.

In the best case scenario, your Careeers Adviser may decide it was a moment of madness, totally out of character & class the fine as a "spot fine" which, under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, is "spent" once the fine is paid providing there is no follow-up court action pending.

It is not a conviction, but it's an admission of guilt & shows on the police national computer.

My advice: Get off the indignant high-horse with regard who was responsible - swearing in itself is an offence in these circumstances, so you got your just desserts. Try a slice of humble-pie, show genuine remorse, write a letter of apology to the official - THEN go to your AFCO.

14. Who is this 'Newbie Here' fellow that everyone keeps saying hello to?

It happens at least once a week, some new young thruster joining the site and greeting Mr Here with a warm salutation. How come no one else gets the same treatment?

Come on Mr Here, show yourself.

15. Ninja, thank you very much for your reply.

I've paid the fine already by phone, i can assure you it is not something i normally would do, like i said ive never been in any trouble what so ever.

Fair point about who was responsible etc, i know ive been a bell end!

Once again thanks for taking the time to reply.

16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

We view it as an admission of guilt as it's the same as a Formal Police Caution, which is recorded on the Police National Computer - you either accept it or go to court & face the consequences.

17. Agreed, I would never pay a fine for something I hadn't done.

18. Bloody hell Ninja's new avator threw me off.

Is there a reason behind the avator?

19. Are you for real?

20. No totally make believe