Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi just joined need a few questions answering honestly.

builderbambi

Lantern Swinger
Hi have passed all the selection process to join the RN as mine wafare specialist, have been told to wait untill oct 2011 before i can start training, my waiting time started last october! Having a lot of time to think about job choice, is the mine clearance job going to be as exciting as it seems or have i made a error in this, because i want a job with some sort of excitment not a completely pointless one!!!. Does any one know what the waiting time is for a warfare specialist is and what the job is actually like? Many thanks
 
Mine Warfare ratings used to be called MUPPETs. Maybe they still are.

Somebody will be along to explain, no doubt.
 

JonnoJonno

Banned
Do you guys still have a marksman on-board to shoot mines? I recall they used to use the .303 No.4(T). If you do, what do you use now?

Just a mong question, but I am curious.
 

tommo

War Hero
JonnoJonno said:
Do you guys still have a marksman on-board to shoot mines? I recall they used to use the .303 No.4(T). If you do, what do you use now?

Just a mong question, but I am curious.
Fella the STC when embarked do that role unless the DHP are on board
 

JonnoJonno

Banned
tommo said:
JonnoJonno said:
Do you guys still have a marksman on-board to shoot mines? I recall they used to use the .303 No.4(T). If you do, what do you use now?

Just a mong question, but I am curious.
Fella the STC when embarked do that role unless the DHP are on board

Can they even see through the scope with all that black nasty over their eyes?
 
MW Branch - Used to be a case of 'iron men in wooden ships' but now it's 'iron men in GRP ships'. A small tight-knit branch with loads of camaraderie embarked in smaller, less formal warships that reach smaller, friendlier ports in parts of the world other ships can't reach plus more responsibility at an earlier age plus the chance to practice proper seamanship and operate world-beating minehunting sonar systems and UUVs plus a thriving Branch association (MWA). Why be a small fish in a big pond when you can be a real wheel in a world where you're usually first in and last out? For excitment, it's only beaten by the STC Branch but you could always apply for a transfer once you've proved yourself.
 

builderbambi

Lantern Swinger
Naval_Gazer said:
MW Branch - Used to be a case of 'iron men in wooden ships' but now it's 'iron men in GRP ships'. A small tight-knit branch with loads of camaraderie embarked in smaller, less formal warships that reach smaller, friendlier ports in parts of the world other ships can't reach plus more responsibility at an earlier age plus the chance to practice proper seamanship and operate world-beating minehunting sonar systems and UUVs plus a thriving Branch association (MWA). Why be a small fish in a big pond when you can be a real wheel in a world where you're usually first in and last out? For excitment, it's only beaten by the STC Branch but you could always apply for a transfer once you've proved yourself.

So you thinking ive made a good choice and is worth the 2 year wait?
 
JonnoJonno said:
Do you guys still have a marksman on-board to shoot mines? I recall they used to use the .303 No.4(T). If you do, what do you use now?

Just a mong question, but I am curious.

JJ - The RN no longer sweeps mines in normal circumstances but hunts them using shipborne sonar and UUVs. When ground mines (lying on the seabed) or (moored mines suspended in the water column) are detected, they are either rendered safe by clearance divers and recovered for mine investigation and exploitation (MIE) to find out what makes them tick or they can be countermined by clearance divers. They can also be neutralised by the Sea Fox mine disposal system.
 
builderbambi said:
Naval_Gazer said:
MW Branch - Used to be a case of 'iron men in wooden ships' but now it's 'iron men in GRP ships'. A small tight-knit branch with loads of camaraderie embarked in smaller, less formal warships that reach smaller, friendlier ports in parts of the world other ships can't reach plus more responsibility at an earlier age plus the chance to practice proper seamanship and operate world-beating minehunting sonar systems and UUVs plus a thriving Branch association (MWA). Why be a small fish in a big pond when you can be a real wheel in a world where you're usually first in and last out? For excitment, it's only beaten by the STC Branch but you could always apply for a transfer once you've proved yourself.

So you thinking ive made a good choice and is worth the 2 year wait?

That's entirely up to you and I'm biased anyway. For a flavour of what you might be doing, take a look around the MCDOA website, particularly the 'Branch History', 'Latest News' and 'News Archives' sections.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Hargraves New Member (Joined Today) Miscellaneous 7
soleil Daily Mail: "Proud Dad Gordon Ramsay Reveals Son Jack, 20, Has Joined The Royal Marines" The Corps 5
BillyNoMates I joined Ancestry dot co dot uk. Diamond Lil's 2
MoD_RSS CNC and social media – have you joined the conversation? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Embassy Guatemala City joined Capital Pride MoD News 0
P Hubby just joined St Albans Nearest & Dearest 2
dustyjack HMS Prince of Wales - Pointy end and blunt end joined together The Fleet 0
higthepig The month I joined........................ The Quarterdeck 2
J Just joined the RFA - few questions for you all RFA 12
soleil YouTube: RN TwoSix.tv - People Special - 'Why I Joined'' The Fleet 0
A time done trying to find any 1 joined up 22/6/76 The Quarterdeck 24
V Brian Wraight joined TS Arethusa and went on to the fleet The Fleet 0
F If you can't take a joke, you shouldn't have joined. The Gash Barge 16
Drakey When I joined the navy.... The Quarterdeck 35
R Anyone joined ratings with a degree? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
B Joined a gym getting a personal plan, little help please Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
Bernie_the_Phot Just Joined the forum Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
T1989 Changing jobs once joined... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
B What was in the charts when you joined up? Diamond Lil's 50
Rumrat The Navy I joined(what we got now) Diamond Lil's 67
Nails I just joined the Knights Templar Diamond Lil's 27
L Joined Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
_Tim_ How did your family react when you joined/decided to? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
C Just joined the site... a minor question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
CRYSTALTIPS What was no.1 when you joined up? The Gash Barge 46
F just joined Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
slim Which branch do you wish you had joined. Diamond Lil's 16
sgtpepperband Joined? Site Issues 8
B Just joined the site!!!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
W just joined Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
I Just Joined Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Carrick_Mac just joined Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Adapting to prevent terrorist threats and the need to protect human rights MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Veterans step up to support those in need during COVID pandemic, new research finds MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Families in need are getting extra government support in time for Christmas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New £16 million Winter Support grant to FareShare to provide meals for those in need MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Capital Gains Tax changes that Self Assessment customers need to know MoD News 0
C Hi I need help Joining the Royal Navy 21
MoD_RSS We need business to help us get girls learning - and change the world: article by Baroness Sugg MoD News 0
Alfacharlie Children In Need Diamond Lil's 19
MoD_RSS New Ofsted report highlights need to get matching right MoD News 0
MoD_RSS We need to talk about the elephant in the room MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The need for a political settlement to solve the crisis in Syria MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Flublok vaccine given authorisation for temporary supply in the UK to meet public health need MoD News 0
R I need help sorting my late fathers 6 off 1939-45 medals & 2 off Mention in Dispatches Certificates. History 14
MoD_RSS Largest testing programme for coronavirus reinforces need for vigilance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Minister for International Environment stresses need to work with Bangladesh to tackle climate change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS What tied pub tenants need to know about BDMs and CCOs MoD News 0
S Need help RFA 3
MoD_RSS The UK stands by Lebanon and its people in time of need MoD News 0
Similar threads


















































Top