Hi, just a quick question

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Captain_Jack89, Aug 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am currently just about to start my 2nd year at university, and have recently been doing a bit of research about a career in the Royal Navy. Hopefully as a Officer, and I have a quick (hopefully) question.

1. If I get laser eye surgery, as I am hoping to get this as soon as possible, I know I am required to wait 12 months, However I was wondering if it would be a waste of time to begin my application before that 12 months is over. So as to lower the amount of time I would have to spend between university and hopefully starting training at BRNC. For example would I be permitted to do AIB during these 12 months?

Hopefully this isn't a stupid question, or a problematic one

2. Be careful about corrective eye surgery. From speaking to several consultant ophthalmologists, it is not all it is cracked up to be. The more you pay, the better the result and if you're not spending about £1500 per eye then you may be disappointed. Discount chains don't necessarily use surgeons who are either consultants in their own right or who do a lot of corrective surgery. There is a real risk you can lose your night vision, and you will almost certainly see lots of haloes around things at night for the first 6-8 months post-op, maybe more.

I have yet to meet an opthalmologist or optician who has had corrective eye surgery.

3. Same here. A good friend of mine is an opthalmic surgeon and despite developments in the pipe-line which look promising, he warned me against having it done unless absolutely necessary for a job (such as for SF selection).

I believe that the 'best' procedure available today is also not approved yet by the military.

Also, if your prescription necessitates more than +/- 6 dioptres of correction then even with laser surgery to correct %100 you would not pass a Navy medical. That is my interpretation of the rules anyway - I only pretend to be doctor to pull women; Angry Doc does it for real I think. :wink:

4. My eye sight is currently -5.00 in both eyes, and has been stable for almost a year now. Im mostly doing it for convenience, Getting your contact lenses knocked out and playing Rugby blind isn't useful, especially as a ScrumHalf/Fullback. Plus I imagine having almost perfect eye sight would be useful in the military

I am willing to pay the money to ensure that I get really good quality care and treatment, and have saved up about £4500.

5. Unless you are in a trade/role that requires near perfect eyesight then it makes little difference wearing contacts/glasses.

Don't presume what you don't know.

6. Okay fair enough, I wouldn't know.

With my eye sight am I only blocked form becoming member of the Warfare branch?

7. Thanks

Thats a very useful link

8. I'd find life much easier without glasses - need a small set of window wipers when its roughers during a RAS :lol:

9. Though I'm not an expert on this matter, I do have an oppo who's a PO(Phot), he has had it done and has had no problems since. He says it was the best decision he's made. So for him it worked and has done he well.