Hi Guys

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Dudz, Jul 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm having a little trouble deciding which route to take and was just looking for some friendly advice. I've got my mind 100% set on joining the Navy as an Officer once i graduate from Uni (i have 1 year left), but i'm stuck between two choices.

- Warfare Officer (Submarine)
    - Engineer (Information Systems) Officer

Bearing in mind that my skills revolve around I.T and Computer Programming, which would you say would be the better choice for me? I spoke to an Officer at my local AFCO the other day and he said that the E(IS) Officers spend most of their time ashore training new recruits, but im more interested in the travelling side of the Navy and im not sure how much i'd get to do if i was to choose that route...?

Would anyone be able to recommend either of the two roles based on my skills and what i want to get out of the Navy in terms of travel opportunities etc...

Thanks for your time...

Dudz :D
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hmmm, I wonder if the Officer was confusing Engineer(Training Management) with Engineer (Information Systems) ?

The E(TM) is indeed an instructional role, E(IS) is a "hands on" IT Engineering job, but is a relatively small branch which requires a "first" in an accredited IT Degree. There maybe some instructional aspects ashore, but not much in relation to E(TM).

Warfare Officer (Submariner) is certainly more seagoing, is a relative shortage category, pays well & will accept any degree to qualify for graduate entry starting pay.
  3. Hi Ninja!

I wasn't aware that you needed a 1st degree in order to be accepted, at the moment im expecting a 2:2=, im not sure if i can get my grade any higher to be honest, would you say that a Warfare Officer would have similar (albeit not identical) duties to an E(IS) Officer? e.g.. working with Computer systems, navigation and Comms etc...? If so, it seems that this would be the best route for me to take...

Thanks for your help :wink:
  4. Ninja_Stoker

The Warfare Officer will operate computer systems to extract information, whereas the E(IS) is basically a software engineer rather than an operator.

Nevertheless, both use computers daily, but then again so do most trades.
  5. Thanks again Ninja, i'll go back to my AFCO tomorrow for another chat with them about my options :)
  6. If you want to see the ACLO again, Dudz, best give the AFCO a buzz to check that he/she is there before you pop in - they can be a bit peripatetic.
  7. Will do mate, thanks.

P.S I had to Google "peripatetic" 8O
  8. Thanks very much Soleil
  9. Ninja_Stoker

To my surprise, it doesn't involve wheelchairs either.
  10. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

To save everyone googling

per⋅i⋅pa⋅tet⋅ic /ˌpɛrəpəˈtɛtɪk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [per-uh-puh-tet-ik] Show IPA
    Use peripatetic in a Sentence
    –adjective 1. walking or traveling about; itinerant.
    2. (initial capital letter) of or pertaining to Aristotle, who taught philosophy while walking in the Lyceum of ancient Athens.
    3. (initial capital letter) of or pertaining to the Aristotelian school of philosophy.

–noun 4. a person who walks or travels about.
    5. (initial capital letter) a member of the Aristotelian school.

1400–50; late ME < L peripatēticus < Gk peripatētikós of Aristotle and his school, lit., walking about, equiv. to peripatē- (verbid s. of peripateîn to walk about, equiv. to peri- peri- + pateîn to walk; akin to path ) + -tikos -tic

Related forms:

perâ‹…iâ‹…paâ‹…tetâ‹…iâ‹…calâ‹…ly, adverb
    per⋅i⋅pa⋅tet⋅i⋅cism /ˌpɛrəpəˈtɛtəˌsɪzəm/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [per-uh-puh-tet-uh-siz-uhm] Show IPA , noun

1. wandering, roving; vagrant.

11. I wish you'd done that 30 minutes ago :(
  12. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I didn't want to get on the outrage bus about kiddie diddlers :oops:
  13. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

:oops: I googled it also, :lol:
  14. How many hits do you think google has had for peripatetic in the last 24 hours/
  15. OVER 9000!
  16. Ninja, as far as I'm aware a first degree means an undergraduate degree, not a 1st class honours etc. The wording on the RN website is misleading if you ask me.

At least I'm joining as E(IS) with a 2:1...

Dudz, if I were you I would see if you can get your degree accredited to Computer Systems Engineering, rather than Computer Science, as it also opens up Weapons Engineer as an option. Or find out what modules you need to do if possible. I have read you could even end up acting as a WEO going in as E(IS) so the roles are closely related.

I still managed to get offered WEO with Computer Science as apparently I just need to do some test to meet the Engineering Council's standards and the course covers 90% of the criteria. There was some webpages with a list of accredited courses somewhere.

As for the role of E(IS) all the information is a bit vague, there are some threads around. As far as I know the role could be from training at a shore establishment, working in the field with the marines (setting up a base?), working in the weapons engineering department possibly on the newer ships; T45,CVF,Astute, due to the increased amount of IT, or working with MOD development/procurement. Infact you will probably have a chance to do allor most of these things in your time?

As for career progression, I can't see the E(IS) branch getting smaller in this age of computers, but apparently it is still quite a small branch still.
  17. And the website says you can get your dolphins as E(IS) so chance to work on a boat as well.
  18. Don't start that pish, not here.. :roll:
  19. Thanks for all the help fella's...

Could anyone tell me where to find the list of accredited I.T degree's that would be accepted for E(IS)? Or is it not publiscised?

Thanks again :)