Hi guys, just a quick question regarding my eligibility to become an Officer

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by BRF7, Apr 9, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm 22 years old (almost 23). I have a BTEC level 3 diploma (M, M, P) which is 200 UCAS points but I hear that the Navy requires (M, M ,M) from BTEC's. Could somebody enlighten me as to whether this is true or not?

I spent the last few years at University, dropping in and out of different courses without obtaining a degree. This will probably make me look like I'm not serious about a career. However, the reason for wanting to join the Navy is so I can finally dedicate myself to something.

I know I'm more than capable of becoming an officer if given the chance. I'm intelligent and am capable of much more than I've been abe to show thus far. I'm just not sure I really measure up in the entry requirements to warrant a place as an officer.

Do I have any realistic chance of getting in?

Thank you for your help.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It is

Really?

Yes.

But not as an Officer.

You're welcome.

3. Where's the logic in that?

I have over the 180 UCAS points they require yet I can't be an Officer because I have a Pass instead of a Merit? Is there no other route to becoming an officer?

4. Yes, there is the possibility of applying for a Commission as a Rating.

5. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Take the advice of Gengar: Emigrate to "Eye-Ran", get a degree in nuclear engineering and you'll be accepted into BRNC in no time. Simples!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ninja_Stoker

The logic is to join as a Rating, prove your worth then apply to become an Officer without the UCAS requirement. If joining as a Rating is beneath you, we probably don't want you.

At present Nurses (Rating entry) need 300 UCAS points & Comms Techs (Ratings) need to score higher overall in the Recruiting Test than Officer applicants. In my AFCO, around 60% of graduate officer applicants fail to meet the required recruiting test score for Officer. The 'average' successful officer applicant that makes selection usually has over 240 UCAS points & whilst there's no doubt it can & has been achieved, I've not come across a single successful direct entry Officer applicant with a BTEC in ten years.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Alright. Thanks for the help guys.

8. Out of interest what are the required rt scores for CT and officer?

9. Ninja_Stoker

10. The eligibility matrix dosmt show up when I download it. Not that bothered really just wanted to see if I would of been eligible or not. I once went to talk to FOSTY CT's, just pondering about a change of career and got grilled about Chinese submarines and Argentine oil tankers for about an hour. I never did go down that route again.

11. Ninja_Stoker

You're more than welcome. A little advice for future reference - reaching the age of 22, not meeting the minimum requirement for entry as an Officer, starting two or more degrees and not graduating but thinking you should still think the service should still consider you as a potential officer candidate comes across as arrogant in the extreme.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 4

12. I did a BTEC and I'm going to BRNC in 3 weeks.

Apparently I did quite well on the psychometric test too :)

There was another guy on my board that did a BTEC and he's also been selected

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  13. Academic OMM?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Know it all two shits more like.

15. Ninja_Stoker

Good effort.

Was that just GCSE's & a BTEC - ie: no A Levels or degree?

16. Just an A level in Biology to go with it.

Anyone know what the R L N M mean in the RT section of the eligibility matrix.

17. Reasoning, Literacy, Numeracy, Mechanical Comprehension.

18. That's not a good start!