Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi everyone, another newbie

Auldare

Midshipman
Well somehow after months of searching and doing research into joining the navy I have finally sumbled upon this website, I have no idea how I had missed it for so long!

I'm 30 and living in the sticks of N.Ireland (yup a mick) and have just gotten sick of civvy life, need a lifestyle not just a job and all that. I had enquired in August 09 about joining, went in and saw the video, had a talk and all was peachy. Now I knew my stamina for the PJFT was way below par so decided to hold off sending in the form until October while I done something about it. Now as I hadnt heard anything back I decided to contact the Recruiting offices here and apparently my application form got lost (I swear the Royal Mail have serious problems these days) but not to worry, I am getting booked in for my Psychometric test for the end of march!

The one job and only job that when I read about it just makes me feel all funny like a pyromaniac in a fireworks factory is MA(SM), the role and responsibility from what I can see so far just suits me perfectly.

Well thats it really for my introduction, If I get stuck in anything I will most likely bug the place with questions and will keep you guys posted on how things are going. I was thinking that a kind of regular update from a guy in his 30s will help anyone else of similar age see that we arent too old to change our lives around etc!
 

bartman11

Midshipman
Hey there, Im looking for a change too and have sent my forms back... just waiting for a date for mt RT.... oh and im 33 so your never too old.
 

Dicky

Lantern Swinger
Welcome mate, don't worry about being a Mick -
Able Seaman Macgennis VC didn't do too badly out of the RN...good luck.
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
Welcome to the site, best of luck etc.,

Auldare said:
The one job and only job that when I read about it just makes me feel all funny like a pyromaniac in a fireworks factory is MA(SM), the role and responsibility from what I can see so far just suits me perfectly.


A true pyromanic used to join as a Marine Engineer & aspire to become a fire-fighting instructor.

That said, Medical Assistants are a bit strange too, so welcome to the crypt...
 

Auldare

Midshipman
Thanks for the welcome guys, yeah I could have said 'Like a priest at an altarboys summer camp' instead but that might've given the wrong impression heh.
 

FunkyJunky

War Hero
the MA(SM) branch has many people in it and is probably over loaded...would be a long wait to get in (i think)
 

Auldare

Midshipman
Aye I have noticed the waiting list times and it has been playing on my mind a bit. On one hand I want to go in with a clear objective of what branch to join but on the other I wonder if keeping options open for a branch I learn more about would be best.

MA(SM) has been the single branch which I so far have seen which appeals to me. I was wondering, would at anytime there be suggestions made to applicants about branches that they may be suitable for but had never considered?
 

C20

Badgeman
Auldare said:
I was wondering, would at anytime there be suggestions made to applicants about branches that they may be suitable for but had never considered?

When I was changing from officer app to rating entry I had originally imagined joining as a hydrographic specialist as it seemed to match my civvy experiences (degrees and work etc) but when the recruitment officer told me it was a 24month wait he suggested AC instead. Not something I'd have thought I was capable for (the mech comprehension in the RT was a bugger imho :) ) but after reading up on it realised that I could see myself in the job.
 

bikerman

War Hero
Welcome Auldare I've served with a few bog trotters and always found them great lads, hard as nails and really good for fun a run ashore. All the best mate. :p
 

Rumrat

War Hero
Auldare said:
Well somehow after months of searching and doing research into joining the navy I have finally sumbled upon this website, I have no idea how I had missed it for so long!

I'm 30 and living in the sticks of N.Ireland (yup a mick) and have just gotten sick of civvy life, need a lifestyle not just a job and all that. I had enquired in August 09 about joining, went in and saw the video, had a talk and all was peachy. Now I knew my stamina for the PJFT was way below par so decided to hold off sending in the form until October while I done something about it. Now as I hadnt heard anything back I decided to contact the Recruiting offices here and apparently my application form got lost (I swear the Royal Mail have serious problems these days) but not to worry, I am getting booked in for my Psychometric test for the end of march!

The one job and only job that when I read about it just makes me feel all funny like a pyromaniac in a fireworks factory is MA(SM), the role and responsibility from what I can see so far just suits me perfectly.

Well thats it really for my introduction, If I get stuck in anything I will most likely bug the place with questions and will keep you guys posted on how things are going. I was thinking that a kind of regular update from a guy in his 30s will help anyone else of similar age see that we arent too old to change our lives around etc!

Could you hurry up and qualify, I just cut my finger. 8O :cry: :D
 
Auldare

At this late hour our almost-tame Pongo-renegade-from-ARRSE (oxygen thief first class) JoJo is likely to get a little confused.

So, just for your benefit, I offer the following correction to his latest garbled post:

JonnoJonno said:
Join the Navy, the Army & the RAF is ****

There, that looks much better - But please don't tell him as he has to watch his blood pressure (He is on some medications you see......)
 

Auldare

Midshipman
I had looked at joining the army and to be totally honest, if not successful with the MA(SM) I'd rather be on the ground in a squad than any other branch in the Navy! Pity that recruitment for the armed forces is split up the way it is.

The main thing I'm looking with joining any of the armed forces is to be in a position where I do the best that I can, to feel pride in my work and that others around me will in some way take comfort knowing Im there when the shit hits the fan.

Now I have noticed that having debts before joining can be a big stumbling block these days so am getting in touch with all the debt guys well beforehand to get something nailed out. My debt isnt massive, around £6,000 and have already worked out reduced payments with them as I am currently not able to find work. So right now I'm paying £65 a month to them (Originally agreed payments used to be £225 a month), one good thing is I've gotten a decent relationship with my debtors as I'm always open and honest with them.

So in the end will plan and look ahead to any issues that may creep up and have a plan setup beforehand. Being proactive can only earn you browny points in anyones' eyes!
 

Auldare

Midshipman
Well just posted the replacement forms I got earlier today, stuck 3 1st class stamps on the fecker to make sure gets back asap!
 

Guzzler

War Hero
Auldare said:
Well just posted the replacement forms I got earlier today, stuck 3 1st class stamps on the fecker to make sure gets back asap!

Wonder how you built up a debt?
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace launches campaign to encourage everyone with symptoms to get a free test MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Everyone in the United Kingdom with symptoms now eligible for coronavirus tests MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HM Coastguard asks everyone to take extra care MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government to offer testing for “everyone who needs one” in social care settings MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Business Secretary appeals to everyone to stay calm and carry on the good work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Baroness Morgan speaking on how we can make technology work for everyone MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Healthcare for everyone must prioritise women’s sexual and reproductive health and rights, says UK at UN General Assembly MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Food safety, everyone's business MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM: post-18 education must work better for everyone MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: UK is committed to ensure everyone is equal, safe and empowered: Speech by Enyonam Azumah MoD News 0
P Hello everyone, I’m a new member seeking help on Verbal test Joining the Royal Navy 12
A Is it just me or does everyone have a good chest? Health & Fitness 9
Rum&Rations A Place In the Navy For Everyone? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
J Hi Everyone! Questions about Portsmouth Bases / Shore Est 15
janner Who says there is anything wrong with the French? (everyone!!!) Miscellaneous 1
N Hi everyone, Raleigh question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
D Whats going to happen everyone who worked fixed wing The Fleet Air Arm 10
P Hello everyone, my son is starting basic training. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
P Hello Everyone! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
thereverend Where's everyone from? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 110
C Medical Assistants - are they different to everyone else? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
T hello everyone Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
R How is everyone else getting along? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
S Hello everyone Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
T Thanks Everyone! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Montigny_La_Palisse Has everyone got a disability or learning difficulty? Diamond Lil's 88
B How much is everyone else doing? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 59
Nails. Hey everyone Diamond Lil's 3
P Hi everyone Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
A Hi everyone - Regarding RN Medical Selection. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
O What does everyone think about the RN filling 'gaps' Current Affairs 18
Gollum 5 days till Raleigh.....Thank you everyone! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
W Thankooooooo everyone!!!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 47
creddly Your average 1.5 mile (2.4km) time. (Topic for everyone) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 229
R Hey everyone, advise on tattoos please... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
J Hi everyone Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
O Why did everyone choose to join the Navy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 79
Chicogiz Hey everyone Social & Reunions 3
W where is everyone The Gash Barge 5
Jarhead Hello to everyone.... The Corps 32
A Hello Everyone new to this site Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
The_Caretaker Merry Christmas to everyone Diamond Lil's 16
P Hello everyone! Current Affairs 5
The_Caretaker Hi Everyone Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
dondon Where is everyone The Quarterdeck 10
McHammock Tips everyone should know Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 40
C Where is everyone!? The Quarterdeck 39
MoD_RSS The world cannot afford another conflict in the Gulf region MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM: ‘Climate action cannot be another victim of coronavirus’ MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Gas goes green as UK takes another step toward net zero MoD News 0
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

New Posts

Top