Hi All!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by ThyJones, Feb 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there. First post here :)

I'm not in the marines, but have considered it for ages, its just one of those things i've always seen as exciting/different, but never put any effort into doing.

Bit of background info:

24, got a degree - computer science

am needed in my job for atleast 6 months.

What im considering is, joining the marines after 6 months,or even next year. Giving me a while to get as fit as possible etc etc.

Got a few queries though.

would i just wait until im ready before contacting anyone about it, or show interest now?

also, im unsure if to try for the royal marines officer position, any advice on that?

Im a bit confused about the accomodation and food thing, ive been told in the past its free/cheap accomodation and food, or is that depend on something?

2. My advice is to show interest now, the process is likely to take more than 6 months anyway.

I don't know about joining the Royal Marines. Best advice is to get in touch with your local Armed Forces Recruitment office.

Here's a link pilfered from Ninja Stoker's signature.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As correctly stated, the selection process for RM Officer (assuming you have the A levels & GCSE's as well as your degree) takes quite some time. There's only one intake per year (September) and you need to have ideally completed POC by March & AIB at the latest in June of the year you wish to join.

It's recommended you start the application 12 months before you wish to enter service for RM Officer & you must start your training at Lympstone at least one day before your 26th birthday.

Current food and accommodation charges

Good Luck.
  4. Cheers for that information, very helpful!

Will applying 12 months before mean I have to do any inductions/training etc before I actually start? as that would mean off time from work, so would either have to book days off or wait a while.

Thanks again
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You will undertake your Potential Officers Course (POC) and Admiralty Interview Board (AIB) first.

Have a look at the AIB & POC stickies HERE for full details on whats involved & details of the selection course content.
  6. There's some interesting vids of Royals doing free-running and coasteering stuff at extreme.com, just to whet your appetite...