Hi all!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by MarkPompey, Aug 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello to everybody at Rum Ration!

I passed the naval entrance exam on monday now I'm awaiting my interview. My prefered Job is a METOC, does anybody have any info on this particular branch other than what is on the RN site, if so it would be very much appreciated! My other ques is a medical one, currently my BMI is 29.something, are the medics usually willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that you'll shift the excess or is it likely to be a straight refusal?

Sorry about all the questions, the minds working overtime at the moment!

Many thanks
    Mark

2. Hi and welcome Mark.Take a trip down to your Gp and see the Nurse and just explain things and get your BMI checked.Im not sure of the regs regarding BMI as i left many years ago.You might be lucky and get a 10% waiver,but i cant be certain,best thing is to start training and set to loosing a bit if weght,if they can see that you are doing summat about it then it will all be to the good of things.

3. Hi Mark, I'm 6'1" and was 16st at the time of my medical so my BMI was similar to yours. The doc said I would have to shift some pounds but conditionally passed me as long as I lost some lard before the thirty day mark prior to me joining. I don't know if this is standard procedure or differs depending upon the doctor involved.

Anyway good luck mate, I've got to head off now there are some beers and a curry that I have to go and not drink/eat. :(

4. Hey and welcome Mark!

5. Welcome to the mad house, join in and have fun.

Good luck.

Peter

6. Thanks for all the replies.

Upped my cardio majorly and kept well away from the weights, just doing mountains of press-ups, sit ups, chin ups etc. Weight is falling off, so hopefully I may just about wing it. Have my interview later this week so fingers crossed. One other question what's the difference between the medical they give you now and the medical they give you at raleigh?

Oh, and one last thing does Raleigh have its own boxing club? Really want to keep it up after i join.

Many many thanks
    Mark

7. Good luck at your interview Mark , let us know how you get on , :lol: :lol:

8. Yeh welcome mark and good luck with the interview.

9. Welcome Mark. The medical they give you now is a doc covering their backside before they sign you off to join up, so they will be fairly picky. The medical at raleigh is to confirm that you (preferably) have a pulse so they can add you to the recruitment statistics :) .

Seriously, don't joke with the medic in your joining medical. They have no sense of humour and will take any joke as an indication of a medical condition - well mine did anyway!! Was a hell of a job to convince them I really was OK - needed official letters sent round, etc. and was a lot of hassle.
    At this stage everyone is just concerned with making sure that there is nothing to stop you doing the job and nothing wrong with you that training and RN life is going to make worse causing you to sue the mob!

Good luck with it all!

10. :) Passed the interview, just have my medical to worry about now.

The medical questionnaire is quite detailed so it's gonna take me a while to go through. Just a thought, when i was younger my parents marched me to the docs at the slightest hint of a sniffle, if there is something i don't remember am i gonna get pulled on it at a later date? Was thinking about seeing my GP for a print off of my medical history and take that along, but I may not be able to get an appointment before my RN medical :-s

Sorry about about all the medical questions, but it seems to be the only part of the process which is quite guarded with regards to the amount of info availiable.

Many thanks
    Mark

11. :) Passed the interview, just have my medical to worry about now.

The medical questionnaire is quite detailed so it's gonna take me a while to go through. Just a thought, when i was younger my parents marched me to the docs at the slightest hint of a sniffle, if there is something i don't remember am i gonna get pulled on it at a later date? Was thinking about seeing my GP for a print off of my medical history and take that along, but I may not be able to get an appointment before my RN medical :-s

Sorry about about all the medical questions, but it seems to be the only part of the process which is quite guarded with regards to the amount of info availiable.

Many thanks
    Mark

12. Hi, im a medic in the navy? hmmm bmi is not too high just try and lower it before you join u burn loads off during training. Just up ur physical exercise anyways so ur fit for training
    Dont know much bout metoc but my mates one will ask him :)

13. As long as you dont have a congenital defect or Transmittable disease,i.e TB or Diabetes,Heart conditions etc you should be ok.