hey which role would suit me?

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by cobs2012, Feb 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I want to go in as an engineer but I'm not sure which specific trade I have a B-Tec level 3 so equivalent of 3 a-levels at A,B,B 320 UCAS points In Automotive Technology and Repair I'm 23 and want to go in as either submariners weapons engineer or submariners engineering Technician. Which one would you think would suit me more ? I love working things out weather its maths problems or engineering problems and working with my hands.

Thanks Chris
  2. I'm not in yet, but with those UCAS points you could be an Officer. I imagine they do more problem solving.
  3. Fixed........
    • Like Like x 3
  4. OMM

OMM War Hero

Why don't you go into AFCO and sit the recruiting test, speak with an advisor and see what your recruiting test score offers you job wise.
  5. Okay cheers for the reply I can't go in for officer I'v got only 4 GCSE's Maths Double business and Food Technology :( so no English I'm crap at that lol got a year and a bit of an engineering degree lol
  6. Surely though if you have the intellect to pass all the stuff you have here you are capable of passing a piss-easy English GCSE? I appreciate it's horses for courses and all that but as I say, you can't be particularly dim to achieve what you have and surely should be able to manage it unless you are dyslexic (or however you spell it) - which would be taken into consideration I believe. I'm sure that I could get through a physics GCSE if I applied myself and I can't change a twatting fuse.
  7. Yeh I do have dyslexia I might give them a ring to tomorrow and see if I might be able to get in as an officer well i have done science on my b-tech course and got a pass or merit cant remember lol got D's on every thing else

Thanks for the great help
  8. Good luck.

9. :icon_smile:XD Brilliant!!!!!
  10. If you've got skills/quals in car repair maybe ET(ME) is more to your taste and officers don't solve problems, they cause them.
    • Like Like x 5
  11. English at GCSE is a pre-requisite for Officers, I'm afraid.

This might be better for you:

You will need to do well in the RT, esp in Mechanical Comprehension, though.
  12. Thanks for all the info great help guys. Rang them up today and they have said that gcse English and science to be an officer and said i would be more suited to the ET (ME). Yep I think I am going in for that I have decided. I'm okay on mechanical comprehension does it involve beams and balancing stuff on it because most of the tests are that which I can find online.

Thanks for all the help chris
  13. OMM

OMM War Hero

Hah, weight distribution is part of it.

Also covers gears, pulleys, materials, tools and basic mechanical procedures.

Eg one question on mine asked'
    "Which of the below tools would you use to remove a spark plug?"

Then there was a few images of different tools below.
  14. hows the maths long multiplication and division like?
  15. OMM

OMM War Hero

Nothing to worry about as long as you refresh yourself on the correct methods, I would recommend GCSE bite size.
  16. okay thank you been doing some stuff on it lol
  17. OMM

OMM War Hero

The best advice I can give you is that each question is worth 1 mark, no matter it's difficulty. If you come across a question that will be time consuming then go back to it, most questions can be answered almost immediately so why waste time working out the answer for one mark when you could get 3-4 in that time.

Time wasn't an issue in mine and I found myself with a few minutes at the end of each section to go back over.