Hey, seeking some rather specific info

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by fannyrash11, Sep 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys, I was planning on joining the Army this year however after looking at the armed forces and each service on its own, I like the look of the Navy, especially the chance of becoming a submariner.
    I have some questions that are rather specific to me and any help would be great.

How long does the process of joining take, from first afco appointment to basic training on average?

Will I be able to box and do jiu jitsu or do the Navy not allow Submariners time for training etc?

Is it possible to stay fit on a submarine, with weights a treadmill etc or will it lead to a very low cardio standard?

Could anyone tell me what training is like, the navy site is somewhat vague.

Thanks for any information, sorry if these are stupid questions.

2. How old are you?

WSTB

3. 18, 19 in october mate.

4. Welcome to Rum Ration, FR

The length of time between when you first visit the AFCO and when you start at HMS Raleigh depends on the job which you choose. Different jobs have different waiting times. During this period, you will sit a multiple-choice psychometric test, have a medical, do a fitness test (2.4km run on a treadmill) and be interviewed.

Re boxing and martial arts, the Navy has associations and teams for both of those - I will let a submariner comment on whether you could keep them up.

Training has changed its format a little recently and so new information needs to be loaded on to the website. Actually, a new website is about to be launched; hopefully, there will be a good section all about initial training which you will find interesting.

5. There is a rowing machine, exercise bike and some weights on boats but you won't get much chance to use them until you've got your Dolphins, you'll be far too busy.

6. Is it the same for subs too fella?

7. He is talking about submarines, FR. In the Navy, submarines are known as 'boats'.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ah, so if i do try and join should i refer to subs as ships or the cans with a straw punched through and bent at the top to look out of for Germans or french or who ever the devil it is you kids look for today.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  9. :slow:
    Something tells me this one is going to be a good thread!

10. Something tells me he has come to take the piss. An unknown with a name like that, not likely.

11. What happened to fannyrash 1 to 10 ? Does this mean there are 10 more like him somewhere out there? This is feckin' scary !!

12. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

We're fighting the French. It's a bit hush hush, but there it is.

13. Is that blasted Boney still up to his japes? Damn his eyes.

14. you are RJ resurrected and I claim the £5

15. This was my forray into humor, i will not try it again.
    My questions still stand btw.

16. Answered

Yes

Answered

Unfortunately, this question is also a little vague.

Apology accepted.