Hey everyone, advise on tattoos please...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Riggsy, Oct 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi just saying hello

Im Riggsy im from West Sussex and am realy realy interested in joing the royal marine commando's. I thought about doing so about a month ago now, then i started watching the program on itv1. After seing that i have decided im going to get fit and get myself signed up!

Bit worried about my tattoos though, i have a full sleeve down my right arm, i have phoned up my local army careers office twice now. The first bloke i spoke to said aslong as they arent visible past the cuff and collar i WILL be fine. But i was still unsure so i phoned again, the second bloke i spoke to told me the first bloke was probably talking about a short sleeved shirt not long But he still said i will be fine?

Anyone shed any light on this? I have done a search but my posts are quite old?!

Here are a few photos, as you can see they will not come past the collar or the cuff if wearing a LONG sleeved shirt...

All help much appreciated!!
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hiya Riggsy

Welcome to RR, nice Tats fella.

You've probably read this thread: Tattoos Advice

In a nutshell, it's the Medical Officer's call on this one. Your best bet is to ask at the AFCO if you may speak with the Medical Officer regarding suitability for service.
  3. Yep i did read that thread feller ^^

I picked out this bit...

Any tattoo which is/are offensive or obscene will be a bar to entry or re-entry. Additionally tattoos should not be visible on the head & neck. Furthermore any tattoo(s) excessive in size or number may be a bar to entry or re-entry. You may be asked to complete a form describing your tattos".

Its the size that might let me down then?

What is AFCO?
  4. Armed Forces Careers Office (the place you've phoned already)

Good luck matey!
  5. Oh right ok chaps, i think ill give them another ring now.
  6. As with most people you have found out that tattoos are not really a good idea - no matter how good the artwork is.

Most Tatts end up placed on a person are when drunk!
    I have seen some truly awful ones. I guess you dislike yours now - or wish they were not as extensive anyhow?

As for getting fit... Do it for yourself as the RM may not want you/ you choose to leave/ you get retired injured!
    Keep fit, eat healthy, enjoy pushing yourself and stay out of police trouble... In your quest to join I truly wish you good luck and good judgement.

(i wouldnt bar those with tattoos if it were up to me)
  7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Not too bothered by the tattoos - but very concerned about the box of tissues on the sofa, next to the DVD remote... 8O :wink:
  8. fly_past cheers matey, oh and no i dont regret them but i think i might if i cant get into the marines! Yes that was my idea i would rather be realy fit before i do go for this :)

sgtpepperband good one lol, but they are my mums!

Just got off the phone with AFCO, this is the third time i have phoned now, he said its deff when wearing a long sleeved shirt so i will be fine. He also said it is the medical officer that makes this decision, but i will be fine :)

My mind is finaly at rest :)
  9. LOL Sgt Pepper band.... good observation.........

I bet they are not his mothers !
  10. I've seen quite a few "sleeved" guys about. I can't remember any Royals off the top of my head.

And we still live in an age where we can send a man to the moon but you still can't buy a headboard with a fitted toilet roll holder.
  11. ...Box of tissues ?? What about the cushion.....I need to get in there and colour-coordination the lad.And I'm sorry, but that shelving and contentshas got to go,go,go.....you need a theme darling.....how about something nice and oriental... ?

And why the **** would anyone wanna join the marines ?( No disrespect intended, you do a great job that many wouldn't, and have been some of the soundest blokes I've met.... but...cancha get your excitement bungy-jumping or something ? You know- raise the odds of surviving ? Think of your poor mother, think of thupermarkets, dole queues, immigrants, chip shops and Clarks shoes.....think of all the GMI consumer contributions you could make.........don't go ! Your country needs you ...

MOD Edit: Please try to keep lunatic rants to a minimum, there's a good chap. :thumright:
  12. I'm more concerned with the funny shaped cacti than the box of tissues! Don't let Wet Blobby see those....... ;)

PS: Is the bird on the third shelf down your mother? :lol:
  13. LOL a few people have issues on this forum!

Cheers anyway.
  14. I've seen few guys on board ships with full on tattoo's all over them during my time. But I'm not if they had it done before or after they joined up lol
  15. The only issue I be having is with Your Man's lack of decor co-ordination....the rest is just a finger-ramble. Don't take it seriously, for godsake.
    'Lunatic rants to a minimum'....Yessir, I hear ya.... will do.... just learned to touch type so am happy clappy with the keyboard..... 'tis great fun this, like Clark Kent in Thooperman I. Ciao x
  16. Alrite there mate.

I know im going to get a bit of stick here for posting a topic from the RAF but I think we are in the same boat. I recently applied to be a flight operations assistant and i filled in the tattoo proclaimer explaining what tattoo's i had. So i have a full half sleeve on one arm....one on me other shoulder....chest tattoo and one on ankle. I got told this was fine as they were not offensive.So yeh i passed my interview and then came the medical. The old doctor was shocked by them but he still passed me. I then passed my fitness test and this week I have visited RAF halton to get a taster of recruit life....yanno the usual disipline and collect my boots to break them in.

So yeh final interview this tuesday to sign on the dotted line and ill be gone by next month but im scared of getting down to halton and they plainly send me home because of them.

Plz anyone on this board dnt rip into me because of im a potential crab....im only trying to help this fella and hopefully get some insight myself.

Thanks and gd luck to you
  17. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

What the fcuk are you one, you dopey cnut? If the lad wants to join the Marines its up to him NOT you spunkbubble. I take it your rambling about a topic you know the square route of fcuk all about.

Tats shouldn't bar you from entry, I have 6. dont get any done on your hands until you pass out, A small "**** you" tattood on the underside of your little finger on your right hand does wonders for morale.
  18. You'll be fine matey, the medical officer has already given you the ok. I have been told that aslong as they are not offensive and cant be seen when wearing a long sleeved shirt its fine.

I made sure of this as i told the careers officer im not fitt enough in my own eyes so will be working hard to get myself to full fitness, i said i didnt want to do all of this and then get turned down for my tats, he said i wont :)
  19. dont worry mate .....join up then get tattoed ive got 50 plus hands face and neck...few days nines but u beat the system be urself
  20. Nice tattoo!! :p dunno if you'll be allowed it