He's Coming Home

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by NotmeChief, Mar 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. And no one is more pleased than me. Now perhaps we can stop having the non story about some ugly little runt who went astray in Pakistan rammed down our throats 24 hours a day.

It has already been said that this happens many time per day in Pakistan, so why have they made such a big thing of this one.
    Sky has stupid headlines and 'Breaking News' "Dad flying to Pakistan" running for 7 or 8 hours even though it is not breaking news as all the other station, including Sky, have reported it.

I've been forced to watch the worlds most boring news channel, CNN,

I know I'm having a rant, but I just can't understand why it is being rammed down us 24 hours a day.
  2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

A (thankfully) happy conclusion to an otherwise sad story; my thoughts are with the family concerned.

I wonder if there would've been as much vitriol if the kidnapped child had been white? Or a member of your own family..? :oops:
  3. That has sod all to do with it so don't go trying that crap. We never had this much crap rammed down us about the (still missing) couple in the yacht.
  4. I am certainly with you on this one SPB, and BZ to the combined ops of several differnt lots of plods. Managing to track that ransom money and roll up at least some of those handling it was very good.

A job well done by all as far as we can see so far, and why shouldn't we have a bit of good news, we deserve it.
  5. Maybe I'm just a cynical old [email protected] but I'm still not sure about this "kidnapping". I'm glad the kids safe but something just doesn't seem right to me, can't put my finger on it though but I suspect a fiddle somewhere along the line or maybe it's just me?
  6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

...cynics of the world unite! :roll:
  7. Honed to a fine art by being a DO for 3 years, I should have been a crusher (don't believe I just said that :oops: )
  8. ... and dyslexics of the world untie :wink:

Just out of interest, can we assume as the money was tracked from Paris down to Spain after being handed over that it was given to the father by the police for the purposes of a sting operation. I was just wondering where it came from?

I certainly hope the British government didn't supply it in light of their total refusal to consider such options in the case of the Chandlers.
  9. The media report stated that the money had been gathered together by the extended family by selling jewelry etc. More than likely the UK police realised it was going to be paid and just took appropriate measures to track it - no question, or suggestion of them actually providing the money.
  10. From what I have heard the tracking of the money which was handfed over in Paris was done first by Froggy Plod, and then by the Spanish, leading to arrests in both France and Spain. Seems a lot of international cooperation that really worked on this one. It might even be that the suggestions that came out of Pakistan that the father might be implicated were intended to mislead the kidnappers into thinking he was not cooperating.
  11. Luckily you realised that setting your ambitions that low was not the way to go. :lol:
  12. hmmm I am with wrecker on this one something seems off with this
    the reactions of all concerned seem a little to relaxed. To use an already
    coined phrase if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it generally
    speaking is a duck. Could it be that someone within the family is involved
    who knows.

edited due a keyboard miss adventure.
  13. Family involvement was suggested by the authorities from the very start BUT we are talking about a very extended family both in Pakistan and in the UK (and possibly eslewhere)

The truth will come out either from official investigation or loose talk inside the family.

14. Are they not 'All brothers under the sun'?
  15. I don't get your point? Are you suggesting a conspiracy involving the entire family or some other suggestion? The authorities suspected an "insider" was involved and that may be the case - it doesn't mean that the father, mother, brother, brother in law or whatever was involved, just some scumbag relative (close or distant) who saw £ signs.
  16. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

I use to think you were a good guy. :angry7:
  17. I minor aberration on my part, the meds have worn off now.
  18. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Your rehabilitation should be 10 pints of wife-beater and a large donner.
  19. Consider it done
  20. It's a sad world we inhabit, when the focus is on the lad's colour and nationality rather than the fact he is a child who was a long way from his mum. The fact that others have it as hard or harder doesn't make it any less of a traumatic experience for him; just glad some of you aren't my dad!