Hero George Best immortalised on banknotes

SILVER_FOX

War Hero
Just found this news item and ask is it right to glorify sports heroes who have tarnished their reputation to the degree that George Best did?

I realise that many out there will disagree with me vehemently however I would state that whilst there can't really be any dispute that he was fabulous in his day, his day was short and he seems to have made more of a career out of getting into trouble that he ever did in football.

I believe that Hero's should always receive the recognition of the general public, but those we glorify should be the sort who set the example to the rest of and the benchmark for the next generation to meet or improve upon?

Story is at http://newsbox.msn.co.uk/article.as...ortlive&ks=0&mc=5&ml=ma&lc=en&ae=windows-1252

SF

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hero's to me are people that show great courage, not overpaid sports people mostly on vastly inflated salaries, no matter what their skills may be

grefs

Lantern Swinger
He was given a second chance at life, through a transplant, and that was abused, so why should he be immortalised on a currency note.

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
grefs said:
He was given a second chance at life, through a transplant, and that was abused, so why should he be immortalised on a currency note.
As a health warning as you pass the note to the bar-tender?

GCYZ

Lantern Swinger
Bad enough flying in and out of an airport named after him.
Can they only be spent in Pubs?

Moojuice!

Badgeman
I agree with you all guys ...... We live in a demorcratic land (but not for long eh??) & most folk think he is the Man ..... Let democracy run it's course. I don't supose anyone on this site is old enough to remember the Queens eldest son taking charge of H.M.S. Bronington???? Jeeze ... What a dick! Everyone thought so but look where he's headed .... ! I am a royalist by the by, ......... but for f**ks sake ....... !!

dondon

MIA
janner said:
Hero's to me are people that show great courage, not overpaid sports people mostly on vastly inflated salaries, no matter what their skills may be
Ditto , & can I also add that fxxxxxxxxxxg ******** popstar Pete Doherty & kate Moss , how do they get away with it , into the cesspit we slide ,gggggggghhhhhhh :twisted:

fleetchief

Badgeman
at the risk of sounding like a sanctimonious prick, remember alcoholism is a disease. pusser knows this. that is why they have programmes in place to help staff who suffer. nobody chooses to be alcohol dependant. i say there but for the grace of god go i. sermon ends to muted booing- exit stage right.

imom1406

War Hero
Who else do Norther Ireland put on their bank notes....?? Ian Paisley and Gerry Adams?? .....Helmet on and take cover!

Moojuice!

Badgeman
Look guys ..... these are Celts .... Victory's are thin on the ground ergo, they need "hero's" ..... Leave them be ....... Bless!

imom1406

War Hero
OK i'll leave them to singing songs of how the English have pissed them off and the ex pats drone on about the misty hills of the emerald isle, but still don't want to move back.

Sorry in a malicious mood....please don't mention the veil or wearing crosses..i may never stop the ensuing rant!

SILVER_FOX

War Hero
fleetchief wrote: at the risk of sounding like a sanctimonious prick, remember alcoholism is a disease. pusser knows this. that is why they have programmes in place to help staff who suffer. nobody chooses to be alcohol dependant. i say there but for the grace of god go i. sermon ends to muted booing- exit stage right.

Mate - you don't sound like a sanctimonious prick; your point is well made, however the disease can't excuse him for all his bad behaviour and besides, even if he hadn't been an alcoholic and had led a reasonably decent life - his contribution to football and society overall would still fall considerably short of earning the right to appear on a bank note.

Surely there are better persons, dead and alive out there, who ought to come before him in the queue [if there was one]. I can't help but wonder if there is a little bit of the corporation "lets make a profit" out of it going on here.

SF

McHammock

Lantern Swinger
imom1406 said:
Who else do Norther Ireland put on their bank notes....?? Ian Paisley and Gerry Adams?? .....Helmet on and take cover!
You mean like these ?

These appeared about a week after the Belfast Northern Bank Raid.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Aberdeen Press & Journal: "Commemoration Arranged For Royal Marine Hero And His Son In Beauly" 26/01/20 The Corps 2
soleil i: "'A Fitting Tribute': Second World War Hero's Uniform Pride Of Place On HMS Prince of Wales" History 2
MoD_RSS News story: HMPPS Staff Awards - nominate an unsung hero MoD News 0
soleil Devon Live: "Torquay Victoria Cross Hero To Be Honoured" History 3
soleil SunFM (Co. Durham): "Village’s Navy Hero Remembered With Victoria Cross Memorial" History 1
MoD_RSS News story: Battle of the Somme hero honoured with Victoria Cross memorial MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Final plea to find Yorkshire family of World War 2 hero MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Final effort to find family of World War 2 hero Clifford Granville Shaw MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: World War 1 Black Watch hero finally laid to rest MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Air Force World War 2 hero's final resting place identified MoD News 0
dustyjack Memorial to WW1 hero - nice statue! History 2
MrIndeed Help a fellow Afghan War hero whoses suffering from cancer from eviction by the council! Petitions 20
Guns Sorry, I've been abusing Naval War Hero by.... Diamond Lil's 64
soleil Wales Online: "The British Naval Hero, A 'Mystery Ship' And U-boat 83 " History 5
scouse An Illustrious Hero Hugh Pawson RCNVR The Fleet Air Arm 2
soleil Mail: WW1 Hero Who Lied About His Age History 1
soleil Express: "DISGRACE: War Hero Banned From Veteran's Parade For Being 'Too Old'" Charity 36
Guns My hero the RN Bomb Disposal Squad. Diamond Lil's 5
soleil News Wales: "Admiral Sir Max Horton - Rhosneigr Honours Naval Hero" History 4
MoD_RSS News story: Victoria Cross for fallen hero MoD News 0
soleil Birmingham Mail: "Smethwick War Hero's Medal Set For Display In Library" History 1
soleil Hull Daily Mail: Beverley-Built HMS Beryl Was A True World War Hero" History 0
soleil in-cumbria: "Cycle Trek To Honour Memory Of Sub Hero" Submariners 1
soleil Express: "Hero Medals Stolen" Social & Reunions 1
soleil Channel 5 - Tuesday, 05 June 2012 - 19:00 - War Hero In My Family The Corps 0
soleil Pompey News: "Navy Apprentices’ New Home At HMS Collingwood Honours War Hero" Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil Mail: "Doctors Retrieve Bullet From War Hero Lodged Under His Skin For 40 Years" Current Affairs 85
soleil Star (Sheffield): "Remembering A Hero: Villagers Mark Death Of Victoria Cross Pilot" The Fleet Air Arm 6
soleil Pompey News: "HMS Victory Hero’s Medal Is To Be Sold At Auction" History 1
soleil Scotsman: "Admiral Lord Cochrane: Scotland's Forgotten Hero" History 3
soleil Hillingdon & Uxbridge Times: "Uxbridge Sea Hero Honoured" The Fleet Air Arm 0
C Artic Convoys war hero (aged 86) in prison for recording a judge! Petitions 6
soleil Pompey News: "Hero Sailor Saves Crew As Tanker Sinks In Storm" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil RN Site: "Holding Out For A Hero" - Wiggy Wigfull (SAR) In Running For 'Hero' Award The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Morpeth Herald: Permanent Tribute Plan For Town’s Hero, Admiral Lord Collingwood History 3
soleil Mail: "GC Hero Who Threw Himself On To A Taliban Grenade Apprehends Drunk Driver" RMR 1
T Scrapping the Hero of Benghazi Current Affairs 5
yamyamdabber Councillors refuse to stand for war hero Current Affairs 27
soleil Mirror: "Miranda Hart On How Her Falklands Hero Dad's Ship Was Bombed" History 4
B HERO Miscellaneous 0
soleil Ayr Advertiser: "I Need A Minishant Hero" The Fleet Air Arm 22
soleil Wirral Globe: "Promenade Walk Tribute To Wirral VC War Hero" Submariners 5
daffy1 Schwarzenegger praises action hero soldiers Current Affairs 18
RNFLUNKY Warship 1974 - HMS HERO The Quarterdeck 8
soleil Sun: "Every hero's gone surfin'" The Corps 0
soleil Mirror: Fake Royal Marine Hero Foiled By Non-Military Boots The Corps 21
soleil Hometown Hero sails into Grimsby on HMS Mersey (nice video) The Fleet 1
sgtpepperband Monty the Hero The Internet - Best and Worst 5
soleil Argus: "Hero awarded Freedom of Eastbourne" The Corps 0
soleil Scotsman: "School's RM VC Hero honoured at Memorial Move" The Corps 1