Hero George Best immortalised on banknotes

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by SILVER_FOX, Oct 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just found this news item and ask is it right to glorify sports heroes who have tarnished their reputation to the degree that George Best did?

I realise that many out there will disagree with me vehemently however I would state that whilst there can't really be any dispute that he was fabulous in his day, his day was short and he seems to have made more of a career out of getting into trouble that he ever did in football.

I believe that Hero's should always receive the recognition of the general public, but those we glorify should be the sort who set the example to the rest of and the benchmark for the next generation to meet or improve upon?

Story is at http://newsbox.msn.co.uk/article.as...ortlive&ks=0&mc=5&ml=ma&lc=en&ae=windows-1252

SF

2. If he'd died a crack cocaine addict or from aids would he have the same status?> I think not

3. In the eyes of the media (& most of the world!), he is still cool though eh?

4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Hero's to me are people that show great courage, not overpaid sports people mostly on vastly inflated salaries, no matter what their skills may be

5. He was given a second chance at life, through a transplant, and that was abused, so why should he be immortalised on a currency note.

6. Who?

7. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

As a health warning as you pass the note to the bar-tender?

8. Bad enough flying in and out of an airport named after him.
    Can they only be spent in Pubs?

9. I agree with you all guys ...... We live in a demorcratic land (but not for long eh??) & most folk think he is the Man ..... Let democracy run it's course. I don't supose anyone on this site is old enough to remember the Queens eldest son taking charge of H.M.S. Bronington???? Jeeze ... What a dick! Everyone thought so but look where he's headed .... ! I am a royalist by the by, ......... but for f**ks sake ....... !!

10. Ditto , & can I also add that fxxxxxxxxxxg ******** popstar Pete Doherty & kate Moss , how do they get away with it , into the cesspit we slide ,gggggggghhhhhhh :twisted:

11. Wonder how long it will be before that Hook Muslim bloke is on one of our fivers!!!!!

12. Like I said ...... Prince Charles is a ****** & he'll be on your banknotes!! Imagine?

13. at the risk of sounding like a sanctimonious prick, remember alcoholism is a disease. pusser knows this. that is why they have programmes in place to help staff who suffer. nobody chooses to be alcohol dependant. i say there but for the grace of god go i. sermon ends to muted booing- exit stage right.

14. Jeeze fleetchief ......... Ouch!!

15. Who else do Norther Ireland put on their bank notes....?? Ian Paisley and Gerry Adams?? .....Helmet on and take cover!

16. Look guys ..... these are Celts .... Victory's are thin on the ground ergo, they need "hero's" ..... Leave them be ....... Bless!

17. OK i'll leave them to singing songs of how the English have pissed them off and the ex pats drone on about the misty hills of the emerald isle, but still don't want to move back.

Sorry in a malicious mood....please don't mention the veil or wearing crosses..i may never stop the ensuing rant!

18. fleetchief wrote: at the risk of sounding like a sanctimonious prick, remember alcoholism is a disease. pusser knows this. that is why they have programmes in place to help staff who suffer. nobody chooses to be alcohol dependant. i say there but for the grace of god go i. sermon ends to muted booing- exit stage right.

Mate - you don't sound like a sanctimonious prick; your point is well made, however the disease can't excuse him for all his bad behaviour and besides, even if he hadn't been an alcoholic and had led a reasonably decent life - his contribution to football and society overall would still fall considerably short of earning the right to appear on a bank note.

Surely there are better persons, dead and alive out there, who ought to come before him in the queue [if there was one]. I can't help but wonder if there is a little bit of the corporation "lets make a profit" out of it going on here.

SF

19. You mean like these ?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These appeared about a week after the Belfast Northern Bank Raid.

20. Nice one George.

Gone but not forgotten eh, 8)

………..