Hero George Best immortalised on banknotes

SILVER_FOX

War Hero
Just found this news item and ask is it right to glorify sports heroes who have tarnished their reputation to the degree that George Best did?

I realise that many out there will disagree with me vehemently however I would state that whilst there can't really be any dispute that he was fabulous in his day, his day was short and he seems to have made more of a career out of getting into trouble that he ever did in football.

I believe that Hero's should always receive the recognition of the general public, but those we glorify should be the sort who set the example to the rest of and the benchmark for the next generation to meet or improve upon?

Story is at http://newsbox.msn.co.uk/article.as...ortlive&ks=0&mc=5&ml=ma&lc=en&ae=windows-1252

SF

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hero's to me are people that show great courage, not overpaid sports people mostly on vastly inflated salaries, no matter what their skills may be

grefs

Lantern Swinger
He was given a second chance at life, through a transplant, and that was abused, so why should he be immortalised on a currency note.

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
grefs said:
He was given a second chance at life, through a transplant, and that was abused, so why should he be immortalised on a currency note.

As a health warning as you pass the note to the bar-tender?

Moojuice!

Badgeman
I agree with you all guys ...... We live in a demorcratic land (but not for long eh??) & most folk think he is the Man ..... Let democracy run it's course. I don't supose anyone on this site is old enough to remember the Queens eldest son taking charge of H.M.S. Bronington???? Jeeze ... What a dick! Everyone thought so but look where he's headed .... ! I am a royalist by the by, ......... but for f**ks sake ....... !!

dondon

MIA
janner said:
Hero's to me are people that show great courage, not overpaid sports people mostly on vastly inflated salaries, no matter what their skills may be

Ditto , & can I also add that fxxxxxxxxxxg ******** popstar Pete Doherty & kate Moss , how do they get away with it , into the cesspit we slide ,gggggggghhhhhhh :twisted: